Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Operation Flashpoint 2

Suchy

Arcane
Coming up this year - and if indeed, as according to interviews, it's even more realistic than OFP1, I'm already starting to drool. It's also coming on consoles, but the main platform is PC and console version is supposed to be quite simplified.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=192228

The screenshots make Crysis look like shit. The bad thing is, they also make my uber-next-gen PC look like shit and my ePenis go floppy. I just can't imagine this stuff on a console. Neverthless it's a 100% buy for me.

Also Armed Assault 2 also coming this year. Same type of game - FPP realistic battle field simulation. ArmA is a spiritual successor to OFP and I'm actually quite addicted to it, so it's another sure buy for me. At least it looks I won't be needing computer upgrade for this game.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

in the recent german gamestar magazine was a rather long preview about OFP2 in which the devs admitted that the screenshots were not ingame but "target screenshots" i.e. somehow made with the engine but pieced together (whatever that means) .... but when its done it "should" look like that.

dunno what to think of it. EQ:TW also looked pretty hot on screenshots and pretty crap in reality ..... not that i mind though , if the gameplay is good who gives a fuck.

and from the preview it certainly sounded interesting , they do the right talk for sure, lets hope its not just talking - i d love a worthy OFP sequel !

Shoelip

Arbiter
I'm more hopeful for Bohemia to release a worthy OFP sequel, what with them having made the first game and all. Still it should be interesting to see. What's EQ:TW? Did you mean ET:QW?

Data4

Arcane
ONE!!! ...move to... TREE!!! ... 1 O'CLOCK!!! ... 300 YARDS!!!

TWO!!! ...take out... MAN!!! ... 3 O'CLOCK!!! ... 100 YARDS!!!

ONE, yessir

TWO, got'em

Shoelip

Arbiter
Damn... Three!! ... Is down.
This is... Four!!! ... taking command.

:lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
ricolikesrice said:
in the recent german gamestar magazine was a rather long preview about OFP2 in which the devs admitted that the screenshots were not ingame but "target screenshots" i.e. somehow made with the engine but pieced together (whatever that means)

a usual dev blablabla. As soon as I saw those screenshots I was more like "is this a concept art?". Too much detail and too much photoshop. Though I'd rather wanted Bohemia not to chase all this "kewl graphics" stuff. As seriously - graphics is probably the last thing you will think about when enemy ambush will pop one of your soldiers after another. Then again OFP had shitty graphics - yet it managed to put even the most powerful systems on their knees. Bohemia needs more Blizzard.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Data4 said:
ONE!!! ...move to... TREE!!! ... 1 O'CLOCK!!! ... 300 YARDS!!!

TWO!!! ...take out... MAN!!! ... 3 O'CLOCK!!! ... 100 YARDS!!!

ONE, yessir

TWO, got'em

Ahh, sweet nostalgia. :cool:

lefthandblack

Arcane
Trash said:
How was armed assault 1? I loved OPF, but thought the tank and helicopter parts sucked. Are these improved in ARMA?

It's basically OFP1 with improved graphics, since the recent 1.14 patch anyway, before that it was a buggy piece of shit. Even though 1.14 improved performance immensely, you will still need a fairly high spec PC to run it well, and some bugs still linger. I can't comment on how the gold version with the expansion is, since I was one of the suckers that wasted money on the original only to have it sit on my shelf waiting for patches. Now that it finally resembles something like a release-quality version, the bad taste in my mouth from the experience keeps me from playing it all that much.

The great thing about OFP1 was all the mods and custom missions people made for it, ARMA has them too but not near as many as OFP1 as so many people were turned off by the disastrous release. Bohemia didn't win any awards from the community for beginning work on a new game before the one in stores was fixed either.

Suchy

Arcane
Trash said:
How was armed assault 1? I loved OPF, but thought the tank and helicopter parts sucked. Are these improved in ARMA?
If BI still owed the rights for OFP title, ArmA would be a direct sequel, not a spiritual successor. Pretty much everything is just like OFP including mission editor, scripting language, etc. Except the story has no connection to OFP and the map is completely different.
As for tanks... more realistic damage system, but driving/shooting is just the same. Helicopters have a bit better flight model and act cool when you take out the rotor. If you're lucky you can take out a chopper with a single shot from a standard rifle - not an easy thing though.
Anyway if you liked OFP, you'll like ArmA too, but be sure to patch it all the way.
http://www.armedassault.com/gallery.html
a gameplay flick http://youtube.com/watch?v=MVRconwZ5M8&feature=related
and a cool video made with arma, sripting must have been hardcore http://youtube.com/watch?v=mnQDvlqlsjg&feature=related

also...
I say again... Four!!! ... taking command.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ArmA is worse than OFP. Simply because AI is dumber when it comes to tactics, you no longer have missions where you are just one of many, instead you're either alone or a commander. Always. Tank battles are not so fun anymore, mostly because they aren't so comfortable now. The amount of vehicles and weapons is smaller than that of OFP. Missions are also pretty meh compared to those of OFP (boring and predictable). The number of missions is also smaller (20 something compared to 40+ of OFP)
Plus when you are trying to target with your weapon - instead of just holding it straight and rotating your head with it (like it is in reality you know, and like it was in OFP) - you move the weapon all around the screen. I hate it.
Dunno, I like OFP much more. It was much more fun. ArmA just feels bland compared to it. It is still hardcore. But it is worse.

Suchy

Arcane
skyway said:
ArmA is worse than OFP. Simply because AI is dumber when it comes to tactics, you no longer have missions where you are just one of many, instead you're either alone or a commander. Always. Tank battles are not so fun anymore, mostly because they aren't so comfortable now. The amount of vehicles and weapons is smaller than that of OFP. Missions are also pretty meh compared to those of OFP (boring and predictable). The number of missions is also smaller (20 something compared to 40+ of OFP)
Plus when you are trying to target with your weapon - instead of just holding it straight and rotating your head with it (like it is in reality you know, and like it was in OFP) - you move the weapon all around the screen. I hate it.
Dunno, I like OFP much more. It was much more fun. ArmA just feels bland compared to it. It is still hardcore. But it is worse.

The main campain is indeed weaker (Queen's Gambit addon has 2 much better campaings, but too short), though AI is exactly the same, maybe acting a bit better in close combat. After I installed QG, enemies had some cosmic superpower accuracy, but it was fixed in latest patch making it actually playable.
Also I really can't complain about amount of hardware you can use - there's LOADS of it, but not all is showed up in the main campaing.
Imo that campaing was the only thing worse than OFP (and terrible bugs before 1.08), but it's saved by the constantly growing amount of downloadable content.
http://armaholic.com
Also online gameplay is fun.

MetalCraze

Arcane
btw afaik the guys who've made FFUR for OFP were planning or even making the one for ArmA.
If it's true - then it will be more than a good reason to get the game for those who don't have it and for me to blow some dust from it and replay it with that mod.
Btw how much 1.14 is optimised? Compared to 1.08
It still was a leak-fest when I was playing it the last time.

Suchy

Arcane
I only experienced a few crashes while playing online - due crappy server setup. Sometimes weird stuff happens when people join with different mods installed.
Generally 1.14 feels quite stable and with better performance. And at last AI can cross bridges without getting stuck.

Btw. check Cold War Rearmed mod - the guys are converting OFP campaing to Arma - including old isles with new look.
... and this lulzy campaing: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3192 - totally awesome.
If download links are fucked, just replace armaholic.* to armaholic.com

Suchy

Arcane
Ehh... done ok, but doesn't show a bit about the game. Somehow I get the feeling that Arma2 will be more true to OFP1 than its real sequel.

Deleted member 7219

I hear people talking about FFUR all the time, but it is only a Finnish forces mod, right? Good if you are from Finland, boring if you aren't.

deuxhero

Arcane
hearing this talk makes me ask, should I buy the original OFP from GOG?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom