Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ossian Studios' next game is Pathfinder: The Dragon's Demand, a PF2E RPG coming to Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Ossian Studios; Pathfinder: The Dragon's Demand

https://www.ossianstudios.com/2024/06/02/the-dragons-demand-sneak-peak/

Ossian Studios is delighted to offer a sneak peek of our new Pathfinder game! For the last couple of years, we’ve been working on The Dragon’s Demand: a classic, turn-based CRPG using the Pathfinder Second Edition rules. It features a digital tabletop and miniatures for a stunning new graphical style. Check out our Kickstarter page below and follow us for news and updates. We’ll have more details for you very soon! www.dragonsdemand.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ossianstudios/pathfinder-the-dragons-demand

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
digital tabletop and miniatures for a stunning new graphical style.

Stunning in how off-putting it looks. If you want to save money on animations that's fine, but I don't like the gray circles they're standing on.

Gargaune

Arcane
Okay, tell me more. Had only positive experiences with Ossian in the past so I'm interested. For those of you who haven't perused my TL;DRs, Ossian authored NWN Darkness over Daggerford, NWN2 Mysteries of Westgate and completed NWN Tyrants of the Moonsea.

what's the average production time for an Ossian title tho? Asking for a friend
Not much point in speculating until we see what's on the Kickstarter. Based on the single image and since they state they've been working on The Dragon's Demand "for the last couple of years", I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess they're pitching an early 2025 launch.

mondblut

Arcane
Okay, tell me more. Had only positive experiences with Ossian in the past so I'm interested. For those of you who haven't perused my TL;DRs, Ossian authored NWN Darkness over Daggerford, NWN2 Mysteries of Westgate and completed NWN Tyrants of the Moonsea.

In other words, modders who never produced an actual game of their own? Riiiight, encouraging as fuck.

Gargaune

Arcane
In other words, modders who never produced an actual game of their own? Riiiight, encouraging as fuck.
In the context of a CRPG built on "a digital tabletop and miniatures", what's the difference? They're not building Night City here and with the accessibility of modern engines, the challenge for most indies isn't coding, it's design chops. As far as historical precedent goes, Ossian's mods official expansions were well designed.

PaquoCastor

Novice
Ossian also made the mobile RPG The Shadow Sun, which I enjoyed for what it is. Considering I've completed all of their work, save for Westgate, I might toss a few coin their way. Although, I do prefer create-a-party cRPGs, and I'm not expecting that.

Mortmal

Arcane
I get Realm Beyond vibes here, except it's worse because they have never released any serious game before. Four guys are working on a complex ruleset, probably more complex than D&D 3.5, to script completely. If we're lucky and they are serious, we might get it in 10-15 years, unless it has a very small scope like Skald.Right now, contributing to those kinds of Kickstarters is more akin to charity

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ossian Studios has a better rep
They have never developed a CRPG in the 20 years of their existence.
As someone said, Shadow Sun

but most of all, what they did make was way better than what Owlcat has delivered. Also it would be easy to make an Owlcat level game with crappy encounter design, endless trash combat, entire pointless acts, balance issues and retarded minigames. You really think they couldn't pull this off? :lol:

ds

Cipher
Patron
Kickstarter pre-announcements are so fucking gay.

Tell me when I can actually throw away my money or at least find out literally anything about the damned project.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They're not building Night City here and with the accessibility of modern engines, the challenge for most indies isn't coding, it's design chops.
Sure, that's why "coders" nowadays don't know math/graph theory/basic algorithms, that's why we need 3080 RTX or better for 30+ fps. That's why we have insane loading times on ultra fast PCI-E SSDs. Just throw more hardware to compensate, right?
Computational complexity? Optimization? Writing low-level asm code? GTFO, boomer, go write drivers, Linux kernel or some other OSS, we are GAYM DEVS.
Happy pride month!

Remember demo scene?
Pepperidge farms remembers.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How does peer review work in DEI / affirmative action companies?
White "privileged" boomer lead tells DEI hire that his code is shit, gets reported to HR for discrimination, fired and nigga gets promotion? Wouldn't be surprised.

Sorry for offtopic, rustled my jimmies.

Froila

Educated
White "privileged" boomer lead tells DEI hire that his code is shit, gets reported to HR for discrimination, fired and nigga gets promotion? Wouldn't be surprised.

20 years ago bad code was explained with collusion between developers and hardware manufacturers. Now with DEI. Times change.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

20 years ago bad code was explained with collusion between developers and hardware manufacturers. Now with DEI. Times change.
20 years ago some people still knew their shit and game dev wasn't scrapping bottom of the barrel. But, yeah, decline was already there.

Froila

Educated

20 years ago some people still knew their shit and game dev wasn't scrapping bottom of the barrel. But, yeah, decline was already there.
Suuure. So many nicely coded old RPGs, like Troika's games.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Suuure. So many nicely coded old RPGs, like Troika's games.
Better than Starfield or Dragon's Dogma 2. And you are conflating bugs (not enough testing / rushed release) with performance. Bugs are constant and inevitable.
IMG_20240604_024036.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom