Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Otxo > addictive twin-stick roguelite shooter from solo dev and composer Lateralis

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This is pretty good.

The music too:

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
After nearly 2 weeks of starting it, I finally made it past the 2rd boss (and agaisnt the Legionaire of all things)
This game just kicks my ass relentlessly, but it's so good I have difficulty putting it down

So far my only complaints are:
  • enemies can spot further than you can see
  • the way to unlock new guns is retarded - you have to visit a displaced room, which are meant to be bizarre and irregular occurances to break the routine (but by being the only way to get a new weapons, ultimately become something you try to "grind" for); there you go to the capsule vending machine and pay a, imo, low amount of coin for a prize; however these are randomly generated and about 2/3 of prizes are collectible trophies, so the last guns become increasingly less probable to acquire; honestly I would've preferred specific challenges or even checklist task to get these guns...
But really these are nitpicks, just in gameply alone this is by far the best twin-stick shooter I've ever played

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Last week managed to get past the 3rd Boss
Died 2/3 rooms later :P
However, immediately upon my revival I noticed an interesting change in the mansion
All the levels became more complex in their design
The 1st floor for instance, had a very "samey" layout that didn't chnage much no matter how many times I repeated - open halls with few enemies, a couple of corridors each connecting to 2/3 rooms
Now the halls have more enemies (but more cover), the corridors are tigher, longer, a bit less linear and connect to more rooms which sometimes don't allow for clear shots against multiple opponents
Floors 2 and 3 have become even more of a nightmare - specially the garden floor which features windows

So the more the player progresses the harder the entire game gets
Neat

Though regarding the combo meter and scoring, imo the game could've done better
The combo meter for instance only cares for how many enemies you've killed in X amount of time
It doesn't take into account what weapon you used, your precision, your perks, if you got hurt, if you ducked enemy fire, if you kicked him or if you used bullet time
And it's not like the game doesn't track this
At the end of each run you're presented with performance statistics, so there's definitely a monitoring of your gameplay
Which means the developer choose to have a simple scoring mechanic, either as game design choice or because he didn't want to bother...

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I've quite enjoyed
The game is hard as nails but when you get you in "zone" it really gets the blood pumping
Plenty of times, after clearing a room this game left me thinking: "More. More enemies. More carnage. More death." - blood for the blood god and all that jazz
And really you shouldn't expect anything else fancy, this game is just wholesale slaugther and entrancing music

I actually managed to "complete" the game for the first time a week ago
And I have to admit it's was in great part due to the RNG gods showing their favor in the Bar - the Roxy drink is especially useful in the last two floors
But don't let that fool you the game is first and foremost a skill test and there's even an achievement for completing a run without any drinks

There's also post-game content in the form of challenge runs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom