Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Overclocked: PoS or not?

MetalCraze

Arcane
topic

Suchy

Arcane
It's a medicore classic point&click with not bad story. The bad: it's very linear and gets kinda boring around the middle, but later managed to somewhat suck me in again. And it's too short. It's not hard, but the puzzles are rather logical.
No absurd stuff like rubber duck thingy in TLJ, or scaring a cat so it loses some hair on a duct tape you previously placed on a hole in the fence knowing that the cat will obviously run exactly there, so you can use the hair as mustache to look like Mosley in Gabriel Knight 3 (pff).
But is it PoS? Definitely not, so if you're into an oldschool adventure, you can give it a go.

I'd really recommend The Moment Of Silence - a bit older game by the same studio. It's longer, larger and in cyberpunk theme. Story is kinda Deus Exish - a bit cheesy conspiracy theory, but it works. It's not Blade Runner, though a good game to spend a few evenings.
It has a few technical gameplay issues, but you can get used to it. I played it after Overclocked which was better in this regard.

Educated
It's not bad, but nothing special either.

+Atmospheric backgrounds with swaying trees, rain and reflections in the puddles
+Nice music
+Intriguing plot (for the most part)

-Plot takes a bit of a nosedive at the end, loses focus
-Terrible localized voice acting, no emotion and bad pronunciationof every word (HEL LO DAY VID)
-Bad character animation, very stiff
-Not very many puzzles
-No environmental interaction, as in you can only touch and look at key objects (big minus for me personally, I hate it when modern games get this wrong)
-Silly design flaws (can only use a phone in certain areas, says "hes not there" if in the wrong spot)
-Silly disjointed happy ending. It's silly because the entire game is bleak and despressing and it didn't make sense to end on that note.

Overall I enjoyed it for the most part 3/5. Okay, but nothing special. If you don't feel the deserate urge to play an adventure then you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I finished zhis yesterday, and I liked it. The plot was good, also liked the puzzles which at least were friggin logical, the grim atmosphere was well done so was the main character. What I liked the most about the main plot was that you actually know more about the amnesiac patients you're supposed to treat than about your main character whose past is a tricky thing being slowly unveiled. The localised Polish version was also suprisingly good, given the fact that they suck more often than not.

What I didn't like though was the 'phoning in wrong places' already mentioned before, pretty much no different dialogue line choices and the
FUCKING DEUS EX MACHINA ENDING + HAPPY END which was AWFUL

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
There is a demo, try it out. I haven't played the full game. The demo seemed to me to be a fairly straightforward point 'n click adventure. Nothing earth-shattering, but a decent game. And that is rare nowadays.

MountainWest

Scholar
It's linear and the puzzles, if you can call them that, are easy as fuck. The story and the atmosphere were what kept me playing. I think it was the main characters personal story rather than the main one that intrigued me, which isn't exactly the norm when it comes to video games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Mediocre. Mind's Eye is better even if it's not a lengthy game. It has a sanitarium vibe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom