Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Overheating issue: Still not solved?

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm currently playing the beta build of Expeditions: Viking and it seems that Viking - just like Conquistador - is a great game that wants to blow up my computer for no particularly good reason.

I half remember reading somewhere at the time of Conquistador that the reason the game caused overheating was related to the Unity Engine. Is it really true that Unity hasn't fixed this yet or that developers using the Engine haven't figured a work-around for it?

I'd love to play the game but not at the risk of physically harming my computer :|

In case it is of any use, these are my stuff according to some internet-thing:
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Manufacturer: Intel
Speed: 3.2 GHz
Category: Performance
Generation: 11th
Brand: Core i5 4th Gen
Cores: 4

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Chipset: GeForce GTX 760
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Memory: 2.0 GB
Category: Enthusiast
Generation: 18th
DirectX: 11.1

Name: Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

Avonaeon Jonas Atomical

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Frankly your PC should be build in a way it can work on max power infinitely long. Also Unity Engine sucks. I think when normal game developers would learn stuff themselves, they could do better. Small tightly optimized game without unnecessary code can work fast without problem.

Severian Silk

If you use framework like Unity you don't need skilled programmers and can do things like hire your buddies.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Unity will override the framerate limiter in the game if you use vsync in-game. Turn off vsync and lower the framerate limiter to something like 60, you should hopefully hear a difference.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
have you people ever heard of afterburner and riva tuner that comes with it and displays everything you want to know ingame from fps to mem load over temperature, gpu load, cpu core load. every thinkebla shit. and with riva tuner you can limit framerate, and setup how info will be displayed ingame. srsly, get with the times :D

Reapa

Doom Preacher
the game is indeed powerhungry. 67C @ 1341MHz GPU / 3505MHz VRAM @GTX 970 recently cleaned of dust and with 2 fans @ 100%. CPU also hot as fuck ~57C @ QuadCore AMD FX-4300, 4621 MHz (23 x 201)
1920x1080 ~60Hz
EDIT: played around a bit with the options and since my GPU is adaptive i found out a few of them have a big impact on required GPU frequency. the GPU frequency is directly related to the heat your card will produce together with GPU work load.
Anti-aliasing: disabled or only SMAA has my gpu running at the same speed 899MHz. SSAA will directly max it out at 1341MHz with everything else set on lowest.
Shadows: very weird. on my system, if i use low quality shadows, they produce a higher GPU load then the high quality shadows. They will however max out the frequency regardless of quality other than disabled.
Anisotropic Textures: some impact when forced on all textures. ~15% GPU work load.
Final setup for me is everything on max other than anti-aliasing and anisotropic textures. it nets me about 5-6C without having to disable shadows. GPU frequency maxed out but work load at about 80-90%. Perfect Balance.
There are huge differences of work load between different locations. i played around with the settings in the forest. now that i'm in town, my graphics card is getting bored and idles at 45C.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom