Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oxymorons get their hands on Alpha Protocol's perks

Starwars

Arcane
Yes hiver, but my meaning was that it's not a particularly good sign that it's unpolished now to the point where the magazine would write something like that. Since it was originally meant to be released soon. Many times delays tend to mean that final product will still be buggy.

Hopefully the delay *will* mean that they can actually get it polished enough for a decent release.

Andhaira

Arcane
Uhm guy's, obsidian has people from black isle AND troika. They also made kotor 2.

OFCOURSE it will be buggy; however it will be a fun game around 1 year after release once the community patches it enough.

Though it would be nice if obsidian could surprise people and made a bug free game for once in their lives. Maybe cut out the 'duymb dialogue' since its no longer funny, and instead focus that time into testing?

Andhaira

Arcane
Uhm guy's, obsidian has people from black isle AND troika. They also made kotor 2.

OFCOURSE it will be buggy; however it will be a fun game around 1 year after release once the community patches it enough.

Though it would be nice if obsidian could surprise people and made a bug free game for once in their lives. Maybe cut out the 'duymb dialogue' since its no longer funny, and instead focus that time into testing?

DraQ

Arcane
[...]
half involve combat
[...]
“are kind of like spells. They’re well beyond what a normal human can do.”
[...]
With a submachine gun, though, it’s hard to not have fun hosing down a room with Bullet Storm, which grants you unlimited ammo for a brief, reckless interlude.
[...]
I want data on people responsible for this soon-to-become abomination, data on their parents' past, a working time machine and a coat-hanger. Oh, somebody toss me some aspirin too, my brain is writhing in pain.

crakkie

Arcane
trais said:
I want my Thorton to be as badass as this one:

AP_Screenshot_11_11_04.jpg
Octo-gunner
Cost: 150 Badass Points
Duration: 25 seconds
Thorton sprouts two additional arms, allowing him to use four weapons at once. He will scream 'Motherfucker', until the ability ends.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
crakkie said:
trais said:
I want my Thorton to be as badass as this one:

AP_Screenshot_11_11_04.jpg
Octo-gunner
Cost: 150 Badass Points
Duration: 25 seconds
Thorton sprouts two additional arms, allowing him to use four weapons at once. He will scream 'Motherfucker', until the ability ends.
That'd actually be pretty awesome if it was made to look and feel even more stupid than could have been guessed.

Andhaira

Arcane
Suddenly the game looks good... :)

Come on guys! A hardcore REALISTIC RPG would be boooooring.

Vaultdweller I hope you are reading this: They are using the equivalent of SPELLS! I would say you get to implementing a psi system ormartial arts (or both!) in your game.

Oh and also a katana or two.

Pastel

Scholar
AndhairaX said:
Suddenly the game looks good... :)

Come on guys! A hardcore REALISTIC RPG would be boooooring.

Vaultdweller I hope you are reading this: They are using the equivalent of SPELLS! I would say you get to implementing a psi system ormartial arts (or both!) in your game.

Oh and also a katana or two.

:idea:

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Rhalle said:
themadhatter114 said:
I'm pleased that Thorton will be competent from the start. I hated in Mass Effect where you are supposed to be this super badass that's joining the council's elite force but you're a level 1 pussy who can't shoot worth a shit.

Every Bioware game I've played is like that. You start as frustratingly impotent; just past halfway through the cap you get decent; the last 25% of the game is a slaughter-fest. Seems like it's a conscious design decision to me.

But that would be fine if the plot made sense. For example, in Baldur's Gate you are essentially on the run from assassins because Sarevok wants to eliminate any of the Bhaalspawn before they become incredibly powerful, so at the very least the core plot still makes sense even if your character is a pussy to begin with. But in Mass Effect the plot demands that you be a badass from the very beginning. I think the game is much more fun and makes a lot more sense when you replay it with a high level character and start on the highest difficulty setting.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Huh? You are a badass at the beginning. You just suck.

hiver

What I kinda hope for in this game is strong characters (we know they will be over-the-top, hopefully done in a good way), interesting story and choices & consequences. The setting will also be a nice departure from other RPGs, even though I'm no spymovie buff myself.
This is pretty much what i expect of it at the most so im not really bothered by eventual buginess.

My real interest is of course Alien game and maybe another possible expansion of NWN2.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Volourn said:
Huh? You are a badass at the beginning. You just suck.

What the fuck are you talking about? You have shitty weapons that you have to pay to upgrade yourself even though you are in the military and later work directly for the council, you have shitty abilities, and shitty aiming that is compensated for by scaled down enemies. If level 1 Shepard fought against the same geth troopers that level 20 Shepard did, he'd be destroyed. Level 1 Shepard would get owned by the Thorian, Saren, and Benezia and just about anyone else. The plot of the game really doesn't make sense starting as a pussy level 1 character with shitty weapons.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, spells-like abilities ain't exactly my fancy, but I still wanna give this game a fair try.
I have faith in Obsidian. After all, they made Star Wars setting looks interesting, something I never thought to be possible. Furthermore, I think Elanee is cute.
So, as long as combat would be entertaining and story decent, I'm gonna buy this game.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Alpha Protocol felt much more like a third-person shooter than an RPG — and that’s intentional.

This game is coming from a developer that at every given opportunity was boasting:

First and foremost this is an rpg

and

We're focused on what we do best. And that's role playing games.

Maybe if they keep repeating it they'll believe it in the end.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Well it was what the previewer said, and if we haven't all learned to take what they say with a large grain of salt then what have we learned?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom