Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Paladin's Oath: Totally not like Mage Knight

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://games.firebiscuit.com/paladins-oath

The game just got out.
I only played the tutorial + 1 turn, but it is the closest from a Mage Knight adaptation we'll ever get (as the latest adaptation has been cancelled once more).
There are some changes obviously, but it still feels very close overall (it feels closer from MK than Chaos League ever felt from BB).

Great Deceiver, did you try it? You were looking for a MK adapation in the Through the Ages thread. I'm not 100% sure it won't get taken down because of the "inspiration".

There is some discussion about it on BGG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yohan

Fire Biscuit Games
Developer
Hey Galdred/Great Deceiver, as the game developer for Paladin's Oath, let me know if you are having trouble with the game :) Thanks for checking it out!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Hey Galdred/Great Deceiver, as the game developer for Paladin's Oath, let me know if you are having trouble with the game :) Thanks for checking it out!
No issue so far on my side. Did you make Block more attractive than in the original MK? Between having excess block not carry over, and it feeling weak, it was considered (rightly IMO, but I am not super qualified) the weakest of the "pools".

Yohan

Fire Biscuit Games
Developer
Making block matter more can be achieved via different scenarios. Volkare in MK is a good example of that, the mechanics have not changed but you need to rely on it more to go through Volkare's army. I'm planning to release a few more scenarios that I came up with, you can find the list+description+vote in my public roadmap.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Making block matter more can be achieved via different scenarios. Volkare in MK is a good example of that, the mechanics have not changed but you need to rely on it more to go through Volkare's army. I'm planning to release a few more scenarios that I came up with, you can find the list+description+vote in my public roadmap.
I'd like something llike Volkare army indeed, as racing against dummy AI feels a bit too abstract.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Yohan : Is there a drawback to choosing an oath? They seem very powerful compared to the "basic" one that gives nothing. For which is the game balanced? Playing with an oath or without it?

Yohan

Fire Biscuit Games
Developer
Just saw this message. There are 2 types of Oaths: generic (Abundance and Conquest) and Personal (tied to a particular character).

Generic oaths are here to help players by making it easier for them (ex: Abundance gives mana every round so you can consistently use powerful effects).

Personal Oaths are there to give more character to your Paladin beyond the blessings. Each personal oath typically has some drawbacks (ex starting with lower reputation, less armor, etc) but also some cool stuff (start with additional Followers, bigger hand size or custom abilities).

You can also play the game with Piety oath which doesn't give any help.

There is a separate achievement for piety crusades vs non-piety crusades.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I just picked this game up. Mage Knight (solo-only) is my favorite board game, so this is amazing. I like that it isn't a straight copy and has a few enhancements. The scenarios somehow seem more interesting in Paladin's Oath than in the board game that seems to design scenarios around multiplayer.

The main barrier to entry is the complexity of the game. It's really something you have to want to learn. I always feel doomed when I assault a city and am looking at the defenders, but then I use all my cards and skills and units and almost win, but then I realize a little change if I undo all that and redo it, I can generate exactly enough attack, block, healing, whatever and win the day. The amount of ways to play a "hand" is staggering.

I do have trouble reading some of the text, like yellow text on the tan background, but luckily I remember what the card says if I can make out any part of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom