Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Reinhardt

Arcane
his wolf (dog) never paying greater attention and being arguably far more of an addition to the team
23237.jpg

Tiger

Learned
Well. Been playing this a day. Wasn't sure I was going to get used to the combat, which is a bit manic for my alcohol-riddled old-man reactions. Tried turn based mod. Then tried fast-travel mod, which has an option to auto slow combat to half speed. Finally everything falls in to place. Holy shit what a game this is. Owlcat need to incorporate this stuff in to the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Speed slider really needs to be part of the base game, I have no idea how people play with the regular movement speed. I have out of combat movement speed set to 300%.

Tiger

Learned
Speed slider really needs to be part of the base game, I have no idea how people play with the regular movement speed. I have out of combat movement speed set to 300%.

I've no idea how people play with vanilla speed combat. I modded PoE1 to slow combat speed way down. I'm a control freak and have to micro every detail. Slowing it all down is the only way I can bare it, short of turn-based which obviously isn't coming to PoE1.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Every hyperactive mountain dew who thinks that walking Infinity Engine-style while drinking your tea, making monocled notes on builds and arguing with 9 year experience pnp players in the meanwhile is bad and needs their dumb mod should get a special treatment from the game, where game autodeletes all their mods and activates season of rains for 3 in game months + party slowing down and enemy getting concealment from your ranged weapons. Also Tristian getting struck with lightning bolt all the time and panicking and running into owlbears gettin mauled.

Codex Year of the Donut
Every hyperactive mountain dew who thinks that walking Infinity Engine-style while drinking your tea, making monocled notes on builds and arguing with 9 year experience pnp players in the meanwhile is bad and needs their dumb mod should get a special treatment from the game, where game autodeletes all their mods and activates season of rains for 3 in game months + party slowing down and enemy getting concealment from your ranged weapons. Also Tristian getting struck with lightning bolt all the time and panicking and running into owlbears gettin mauled.
enjoy spending 3 years to watching your character walk from the throne to the room exit

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The game really shits the bed during the last two chapters and that's a fundamental thing, not something they can just fix with patches.
House spoilers obviously
The biggest issue with the House is that it is confusing as fuck. At the very least they could have given the fog a different color so players are made aware that they didn't simply teleport somehow and it's actually a completely different map. The map itself is bad too, since it largely consists of pointless rooms filled with fuck you enemies that aren't fun to fight in the first place. The last two chapters are way too heavy on the fighting anyway. The Castle of Knives right before the House has a perfectly fine mixture of talking and fighting and multiple solutions to problems but all of that completely stops the moment you enter the House. It's reasonable for a player to assume that the trend from Castle of Knives continues. It's not like the House is occupied by mindless undead or beasts, you should be able to talk at least some of the Wild Hunt out of attacking you. Those guys are all chaotic so it's not like they'll kamikaze themselves for the honor of m'lady. The same goes for Maggot Man and Gnarly Witch, you should be able to play them off against each other or something. It would create a nice narrative inversal for the player to go to Nyrissas home and fuck her shit up through guile and sabotage.

So you've played the Enhanced endgame and it's still terrible? :(

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The game really shits the bed during the last two chapters and that's a fundamental thing, not something they can just fix with patches.
House spoilers obviously
The biggest issue with the House is that it is confusing as fuck. At the very least they could have given the fog a different color so players are made aware that they didn't simply teleport somehow and it's actually a completely different map. The map itself is bad too, since it largely consists of pointless rooms filled with fuck you enemies that aren't fun to fight in the first place. The last two chapters are way too heavy on the fighting anyway. The Castle of Knives right before the House has a perfectly fine mixture of talking and fighting and multiple solutions to problems but all of that completely stops the moment you enter the House. It's reasonable for a player to assume that the trend from Castle of Knives continues. It's not like the House is occupied by mindless undead or beasts, you should be able to talk at least some of the Wild Hunt out of attacking you. Those guys are all chaotic so it's not like they'll kamikaze themselves for the honor of m'lady. The same goes for Maggot Man and Gnarly Witch, you should be able to play them off against each other or something. It would create a nice narrative inversal for the player to go to Nyrissas home and fuck her shit up through guile and sabotage.

So you've played the Enhanced endgame and it's still terrible? :(

Not yet but I very much doubt the House has changed significantly.

Codex Year of the Donut
turned difficulty down to power through hoteot, the endless combat waves of the same 3-4 identical monsters with nothing inbetween just isn't fun, I want to be done with this area

Codex Year of the Donut
of course one of the keys you need is hidden behind a random patch of mist that acts differently from the rest of the mist
fuck whoever designed this

aand froze at a loading screen
fuck it I'm shelving this

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
of course one of the keys you need is hidden behind a random patch of mist that acts differently from the rest of the mist
fuck whoever designed this

aand froze at a loading screen
fuck it I'm shelving this
You can just dimension door into the lady's room instead of looking for the keys. (unless that got patched away)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well. Been playing this a day. Wasn't sure I was going to get used to the combat, which is a bit manic for my alcohol-riddled old-man reactions. Tried turn based mod. Then tried fast-travel mod, which has an option to auto slow combat to half speed. Finally everything falls in to place. Holy shit what a game this is. Owlcat need to incorporate this stuff in to the game.
This stuff already exists. Just hold V and game will slow down. You can also pause the game, then hold V when you want to unpause but stay in slow mode and then when you release V it pauses automatically. I played many a combat this way.

Tiger

Learned
This stuff already exists. Just hold V and game will slow down. You can also pause the game, then hold V when you want to unpause but stay in slow mode and then when you release V it pauses automatically. I played many a combat this way.

Yeah that's too clunky. I just want all combat slower all the time automatically.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

I saw the loading screen tip that said slow-mo was Ctrl-Space or something but it's actually V? Well shit.

Tiger

Learned

I saw the loading screen tip that said slow-mo was Ctrl-Space or something but it's actually V? Well shit.

Yeah you have to hold it down though, it isn't a toggle. Bit of a pain in the arse imo. I'll probably just switch to turn based, seems to be working pretty well.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yeah you have to hold it down though, it isn't a toggle. Bit of a pain in the arse imo. I'll probably just switch to turn based, seems to be working pretty well.
It is not if you pause before using it. When you release V game pauses immediately. In effect you use it as your pause/unpause button. Just set autopause at first sight of enemy so you never need to use again at start of any combat.

Tiger

Learned
It is not if you pause before using it. When you release V game pauses immediately. In effect you use it as your pause/unpause button. Just set autopause at first sight of enemy so you never need to use again at start of any combat.

Oh I see. Well I think I'll be turn based now anyway. Amazing the quality of games coming from Eastern Europe. Obviously the place of incline now. How do you get to be Russian? I'd like to join. Is there an application form or do I just get drunk on potato wine and rape my sister?

Codex Year of the Donut
so I visited Oleg's place so Valeria can beat up that inane paladin stalker of hers and surprisingly enough he's some buff mother botherer and slapped my shit at the first try no biggie I thought and reloaded gave my girl a bunch of overkill buffs and made her chug potions etc. the fight still took ages because he spammed LoH anyway Valeria beat him up this time surprise she's still scarfaced what the hell

several hours later she tells me yo maxie there this potion shit to cure face finna drink it mkay?

couldnt force myself to make her chug that stuff fuck im a fag
the god she rejected is the god of beauty, do the math

volklore

Arcane
I didn't find HATEOT (hard) too bad on my first playthrough tbh. Sure I had to convert my bard into a mass heal scroll spammer, but otherwise I found the far spread idea that valerie/TSS/armor tanks can't tank touch attacks to be completely false. I found the swarms way more complicated to deal with with my setup. Castle of knives is a far superior area for sure. It seems to me that Pitax had even more combat tbh. But the person who designed the dimension hopping fog has a special place in hell.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I'd say something about this game but sadly after I decided to reroll I've also decided to add just a few portraits, 900 of them and the game crashes after char creation so no thank you. The little I've played combat is okay-ish I guess, I just wish the skill explanations used hyperlinks like PoE(iirc the description of sneak attack says that "you can use it when the enemy can't defend himself" or something, that is - when? I'm not into porchfinder, I don't have to know it, why don't you just tell what kind of statuses it entails?), beyond that the fact that hiring your own companions is ridiculously expensive and I kind of liked the way they've did exploration in it, I can't say that much.

However I sometimes wonder who's idea it was to come up with a competition to retake some lands, carry on with it and then completely make the competition as a plot point null 2 hours into the game by the grand reveal™. This is however the example of storyfaggotry ruining games, amazing plot twist and tight control on the way game is played is more important than gameplay elements(competitor's party clearing objectives/quests over time with varied speed and then the competition being judged on the merit of yours and your competitor's result? No thanks, we're gonna make the only surviving competitor a corrupted moustache twirling cunt who's also a spy therefore disqualified).

Codex Year of the Donut
I'd say something about this game but sadly after I decided to reroll I've also decided to add just a few portraits, 900 of them and the game crashes after char creation so no thank you. The little I've played combat is okay-ish I guess, I just wish the skill explanations used hyperlinks like PoE(iirc the description of sneak attack says that "you can use it when the enemy can't defend himself" or something, that is - when? I'm not into porchfinder, I don't have to know it, why don't you just tell what kind of statuses it entails?), beyond that the fact that hiring your own companions is ridiculously expensive and I kind of liked the way they've did exploration in it, I can't say that much.

However I sometimes wonder who's idea it was to come up with a competition to retake some lands, carry on with it and then completely make the competition as a plot point null 2 hours into the game by the grand reveal™. This is however the example of storyfaggotry ruining games, amazing plot twist and tight control on the way game is played is more important than gameplay elements(competitor's party clearing objectives/quests over time with varied speed and then the competition being judged on the merit of yours and your competitor's result? No thanks, we're gonna make the only surviving competitor a corrupted moustache twirling cunt who's also a spy therefore disqualified).
...it's based on a PNP module

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom