Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - now in BETA STAGE 2 - coming September 2nd

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by purpleblob, Nov 27, 2019.

1. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm not sure they fixed the animal companions, have they? I would, but why would I play something that I wouldn't enjoy?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    They’re fine.

^ Top  
  3. Bara Magister

Bara
    A question for those deep into character building.

Are the mythic levels strong enough that they can act as a crutch if your base build is a joke or no you do have to make good decisions for both normal and mythic levels?

I assume this also varries on difficulty of course.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    What are pros of giving Galfrey the almighty cat? Any difference if you do it on the first tent meeting?

^ Top  
  5. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What is it that you don't about it?

^ Top  
  6. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Don’t make your base build a joke. Any single class character will not be a joke so you’d have to actively try to make it bad.

There are synergies - my Rogue is good at skills and Trickster uses Skill Checks - but you’re not going to be bad without them.

^ Top  
  7. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Not sure what you mean, but weren't the Smilodons not doing their full attacks? I don't know... I'm being wishy-washy. I may play Sohei and ride an elephant. Or a dino. Meh.

^ Top  
  8. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Oh for goodness sake, I missed a word in there. It's just that you said, you don't enjoy the mounted combat. So I was wondering why?

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    I do. When the mount is working.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    I'm not usually the type of person who bitches about difficulty, but I'm genuinely feeling that some of these early encounters underground may be a bit over-tuned.
    Some of these fights played with the "Core rules" settings translate pretty much in a coin toss over being instantly one-shotted and forced to reload the game.

I'm now in the part past it (when you are re-emerging to the city for the first time) and it's getting slightly better from level 3 going on, but I'd lie if I said I was having fun in these flooded ruins.

P.S. As reference, I'm playing in turn-based mode.

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Xamenos Magister Patron

Xamenos
    This is why I was against them adding turn-based mode. It plays completely differently to RTwP, so it needs to be balanced differently from RTwP or you get complains like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Then again turn-based is pretty much the only way to make me enjoy their combat (even if their implementation of it IS clumsy, Jesus Christ. Even the amateurish mod for the first had a better UI and overall flow).

^ Top  
  13. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    I played the entirety of the underground area + maze on core difficulty with Turn Based mode. It wasn't so bad. What class did you roll for main character? Do you mind posting your build? What about your party? I immediately changed the classes of some of my guys after I got them. For example, at level two, I made Seelah a Bannerman.

^ Top  
  14. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    I'm playing with a dexterity based Aldori Defender (so basically warrior) aimed to turn into an Aldor Swordlord later. And even assuming I had no clue of what I were doing (debatable) I'm somewhat confident that by LEVEL 2 I didn't even had room to screw things significantly.

About the companions, we aren't exactly at a point of the game where you are embarrassed by an overwhelming amount of options, are we? I had Lann, Cammelia and Sheelah. Pretty much the only options offered to me at this point aside for the creepy catgirl.

Also, what the hell is up with Owlcat and their habit of surrounding you with the risk of permanent stat drains, diseases and other nasty status effects WAY before giving you a realistic option to deal with them?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    You and your party should have an ability called 'Treat Affliction'. Have a character with a high lore(religion) to use it on a poisoned or diseased character. There's a chance of dispelling the effect.

>I'm somewhat confident that by LEVEL 2 I didn't even had room to screw things significantly
    Early levels are the most significant in these games. You need to have good stats and decent early feats. Starting with a DEX build is a bit hard in the early game. As you won't do as much damage compared to a STR build, unless you pick human + fighter, and dump all the feats into it.

^ Top  
  16. Technomancer Learned

Technomancer
    Any new bloodlines for sorcerers/bloodragers? Or they just ported what we had in previous game and called it a day?

^ Top  
  17. Meredoth Magister

Meredoth
    Sadly no.

But is creating custom NPC's expensive like on Kingmaker?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    You have no business playing Core on the first few levels until you’ve got a better feel for the game. Especially if you’re struggling with status afflictions. Even then you’ve got to manage which fights you take when (I.e. save for third level). It’s not a crap shoot but it’s not faceroll either.

One thing that can be a big help is giving Lann or Cam a Leopard pet (or playing one yourself) if you’re determined to play Core straight through. As it is the struggle on Core is roughly equivalent to the early levels on Pool of Radiance, which is as it should be.

They called nothing a day.

You can do decent damage as long as you don’t dump STR (no reason to do this since you’re not a caster). Since you don’t get DEX-to-damage until lvl six might as well leave STR at 12. AD can start with Disarm + Agile Maneuvers but then you’d have to save Finesse until lvl 2. Probably better to get started on Dazzling Display and save Disarm for later.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    ^ Top  
  19. Technomancer Learned

Technomancer
    Sure hope so, have zero interest in archetype bloodlines like nine tails. If you count list filler bloodlines like dragons and elementals as variations of the same one, current choice is extremely limited compared to the source material.

^ Top  
  20. TigerKnee Arcane

TigerKnee
    It's the same formula of exponential gold cost based on your MC's level, but it might be worse here because you're pretty much going to hit level 3 before the custom NPC recruiter is available unlike Kingmaker where you could rush them early.

^ Top  
  21. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    You’ll have plenty of gold if that’s your thing. No reason to do it though. You’re costing yourself a big chunk of the game. Whole point is to mix and match them for different challenges.

Like I just put together a non-Good group against Gargoyle hordes who have +4 everything Smite Good to wreck you with.

It’s not a blobber where you stick with the same crew the whole way (that’s why inactive companions continue to level).

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    ^ Top  
  22. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Play the Tiefling Bloodrager or Seeker Sorc.

^ Top  
  23. Technomancer Learned

Technomancer
    Classes that modify bloodlines effects are cool but I just want more bloodline choices in general.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/

This is just official paizo and owlcat showed us they can take third-party stuff too. Some bloodlines are obscure or wouldn't make sense in the game but most options are interesting. Am a bit uneasy that not a single bloodline for universal choices was added this late in development.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Pink Eye Monk Patron

Pink Eye
    Unicorn Bloodline could have been a good one for this campaign. They get loads of bonuses against the forces of evil.

^ Top  
  25. The Cunny Commander Novice

The Cunny Commander
    You'd think a bloodline based off a goddamn unicorn would be weak or fruity, but the Righteous Fury bloodline power actually looks badass?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.