Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

CoronerZg

Augur
I guess their Kickstarter campaign crashed :lol:

Edit: It's up!

1200px-Bsodwindows10.png

Terra

Cipher
You'll probably need to give the kickstarter a couple of months for sufficient patching before it'll accept your money.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/plot

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous asks you – what’s “the price of power”?
pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous-580x334.jpg

Owlcat Games recently announced a follow-up game to its 2018 isometric RPG Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Titled Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, the game is, like its predecessor, based on one of the tabletop game’s existing Adventure Paths. While we already know it’ll offer “a full spectrum” of options – good, bad, and somewhere in the middle – to players, until now it wasn’t clear just how much this sense of nuance gets to the heart of WotR – but the studio has now revealed the game’s central philosophy will be all about the “price of power”.

In an interview and hands-on look at the game with PCGamesN, head of Owlcat Games Oleg Shpilchevskiy tells us about the new approach the studio’s taking in how it presents decision-making to players – and it sounds like there will be some really tricky choices to make this time around. In addition to the other two core elements Owlcat wants to bring to the game – a more epic story and new mechanical aspects to the gameplay – Shpilchevskiy says there will now be a lot more nuance between what’s good and bad – “grey zones”.

“We’d like to explore what are called ‘grey zones’ – it’s not white and black as usual. You need to make hard decisions which do not always have good benefits or outcomes” – sometimes, it seems, they can have unforeseen negative or somewhat unclear ones, too.

“We wanted to explore this theme in detail, and WotR gives us the opportunity to fulfil all those requirements”, he says, touching upon the new game’s plot which sees you take on hordes of demons flooding in from the Worldwound, dealing destruction and death upon the world. It might seem like a simple case of good versus evil, but that’s not so.

“There are a lot of nuances in the story like, paladins who might be corrupted, or might betray their friends, or demons that actually don’t want to destroy the world but somehow help people to stop the battle. So there are lots of so-called grey zones”.

Shpilchevskiy explains that Paizo Publishing – creator of the tabletop series and Pathfinder owner – was a big help in letting the studio move forward with this idea. “Paizo is a great partner. They were very open-minded. If we came up with some new ideas, some new content to fulfil the framework, they are always open to discuss it, which gives a lot of creative freedom”.

For example, he says, “initially this adventure pass was about good side (paladins) working with the bad side (demons) – mostly. So you can play only as the good aligned characters. And we suggested, let’s have the ability play as the bad guys. Bad guys still may want to fight demons, and still might want to save the world – but for their reasons.” To protect their own interests? we ask, to which he replies: “Yes, yeah – for example”.

“So, it was unusual for them but they were really open to discuss it, and say ‘Ok, let’s try. Let’s see what it might give us as a new adventure'”.

Later, he explains: “Besides the ‘epicness’, we will like the opportunity to explore a more dark tone with our new game. The first one was a more classical RPG, like you were the head of a mercenary group, you claim your untamed lands, you build your kingdom, develop it, and prepare yourself for a final battle.”

This game, however, is “about the dark age of this world because for the past 100 years, people slowly retreated in before the demon’s lord and demon’s hordes, and everybody understands – it is now or never. You can save this world and fight it back.”

“The setting itself is quite dark and all of the decisions the player makes when progressing through the game have a lot of nuances, a lot of grey zones, because it’s always a question of – what you might do to fight the battle. Is it enough, or is it ok to sacrifice some people to save hundreds – or thousands – of other lives? Or maybe millions – where are the red lines? Are there any red lines?”

“All these questions, we constantly ask all these questions of players so they can choose”.

Hinging on upon making some “hard decisions” with consequences to your choices that might not become apparent until ten afters after making them, the game’s philosophy is simple but powerful: what is the “price of power”? “Our game […] has some philosophical meaning, some core idea you want to tell people. Our core idea is about the “price of power.”

The studio head explains: “By that I mean what you will do to get the power to battle in the final struggle. Will you sacrifice a couple of your friends or a couple of your companions or citizens for something? For the great victory – or not? There are a lot of such questions.”

Sounds like players will have plenty to ponder over when the RPG game’s release date rolls around – though there’s no news on when that might be just yet. It hits Kickstarter later today (January 4) at 08:00 PST / 11:00 EST / 16:00 GMT, at which point we’ll hopefully get a look at some gameplay.

You can check out our Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous interview ahead of then, too, if you’re keen to hear more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous-pits-humanity-against-a-demon-invasion/

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous pits humanity against a demon invasion
Which side will you support?

It's Tuesday, and demons are invading again. It's the sort of cataclysm you'd expect from a place called 'the Worldwound'. A planar tear to the Abyss has opened, and now mortals must push back against a tide of demonic rage flowing into the world of Golarion.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker was part of a welcome clutch of new cRPGs to follow Path of Exile's success. Path of the Righteous is set in a different part of the world, with new heroes and villains, and Owlcat Games promise "a more epic conflict". There won't be a straightforward divide between righteous mortals and furious demons, however. Traitorous mortals are all too happy to sacrifice a few friends for a taste of demonic power, and there are demons among the hordes who are fed up of endless war.

The new Mythic class system lets you occupy this grey area by adopting demonic or angelic qualities on top of your original class. You can be a powerful angelic wizard, or a demonic Oracle, for example. Your shift in either direction is accompanied by appearance changes that will change how you're treated by NPCs. Go full demon and you can have a honking great pair of horns, though not everyone you meet will be into it.

I actually prefer the sound of the other Mythic classes. You can be one of the most powerful spellcasters in the world if you decide to be a Liche - though you have to be slightly undead to access those powers. The Liche is unlikely to mix well with another Mythic class that Owlcat describe as a kind of fantasy Judge Dredd. They must squash corruption wherever they find it. They can look into a soul and know if it's guilty or not - though they don't always know what a person is guilty /of/ exactly.

Finally, my favourite: the trickster. Tricksters are masterful game players. So masterful, in fact, that they can break the fourth wall and affect dice rolls in your game. Rolled a result of one for a critical miss? Have the trickster sneakily flip that to a 20 for you. Shhh, don't tell the developers.

Kingdom management was a big part of the first game's appeal. The system has been overhauled for the new setting. As the head of a crusade, you are now raising huge armies and deploying them to squish demon incursions. That might not sound as deep as a system that lets you run an entire kingdom, but there is plenty to do. You have to appoint characters to key positions—make sure you have a trustworthy general, and a barely trustworthy chief spy. You also need to raise armies, secure troops, and move those armies to key strategic positions on the world map. If you have a spare force, you can even send armies to distant corners of the map to explore and discover secrets.

I played a section of a fortress assault mission, which involved killing a lot of giant spiders. The darker tone is immediately obvious. I bloodily dispatched giants and archers on the ramparts, unlocking doors that led deeper and deeper into the castle. This combat-heavy section can't show off the game's most promising features however. The new Mythic class paths look great, and Owlcat are determined to do a better job of polishing the sequel to make sure consequences correctly line up with your decisions during the final stages of the game. Time-limited decisions are gone too - apparently players absolutely hated them. Now you will be able to really ponder those difficult moral decisions. Angel or demon? The choice is yours.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous

Owlcat Games is back on Kickstarter with a new RPG set in the Pathfinder universe – the Age of Lost Omens, the setting we love so much! We want to thank all the backers and contributors who helped us create our previous game, Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Now it’s time to craft a new epic adventure together!

As you may know, we at Owlcat Games have spent countless hours playing the Pathfinder tabletop RPG. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to bring this experience to the videogame format by creating a classic isometric party-based computer RPG called Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The phenomenal love and support shown for Kingmaker have inspired us to tell another story from the Age of Lost Omens. Today we are thrilled to introduce the adventure we are so passionate and excited about – Wrath of the Righteous!
  • Embark on a journey to a realm overrun by demons and rise to power by choosing one of six available Mythic Paths. Master their abilities and change the world around you as an Angel, a Lich, a Trickster, an Aeon, a Demon, or an Azata. Each Mythic Path leads to unique skills and appearance, and greatly impacts the game’s story.
  • Challenge the mighty Demon Lords and close the portal to the demonic plane of existence known as the Abyss.
da66bedfbc4fe54a5d74940b468ea4f8_original.gif

• Enjoy the flexibility, richness, and depth of the Pathfinder first edition ruleset. Create any character imaginable by choosing one of ten races, picking a particular class out of the 21 available, each with five archetypes for even greater customization. Gain access to more than a thousand spells, feats, and abilities, and select those that suit your playstyle. Take control of your party formation, help set up a camp, and find a way to victory by combining the strengths of your companions.
  • Lead the armies of the Fifth Crusade to victory in a new strategic layer of gameplay. In addition to the classic CRPG experience, step into the role of the Commander, gather troops, reinforce your stronghold, and send your armies to battle the demonic invasion across the map of the region. Send your crusaders to explore ancient ruins and recover powerful artifacts.
  • Experience a non-linear story about the cost of tremendous power that adventurers often seek, with tales of corruption caused by the demonic influence and redemption for those who have stepped on the wrong path.
4216a7dfbe3e85703a00c3651bd18f34_original.gif

• Meet a new diverse cast of characters, including ten companions to recruit to your party and featuring multiple romance options to choose from.
  • Take control of five new classes (Arcanist, Bloodrager, Shaman, Oracle, and Witch) and meet a new race–the half-undead dhampir–in addition to the previous roster from Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The number of archetypes per class has increased to five as well.
  • Dive into the game even if you’re not familiar with the intricacies of the Pathfinder ruleset. Use an enhanced tutorial for newcomers to help you with character creation and get up to speed with the rules of the system.
  • Explore the world with updated visuals and a 360-degree rotating camera added for better playability and immersion.
ada365e92c7bdbfc92f6dbbc3a674839_original.gif

• Current platforms: PC Windows (Steam, GOG)
  • Current languages: English, French, German, Chinese, Russian
More platforms and languages may be added in the future.

We want our new game to give you the same feeling as good old Pathfinder: Kingmaker Enhanced Edition. If you enjoyed Kingmaker, you will definitely love Wrath of the Righteous as well.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if the attention that The Wonderful 101 is getting will affect PF Kickstarter for the wider audience.

+

Are we planning for a fundraiser like last time?

Readher

Savant
Hope you guys help with all the social goals so we can get mod support.

It's totally about the mod support and not Queen Galfrey romance, I swear.

Compiled links for liking/following/subscribing and whatever:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Noteworthy digital tiers:

$24 Early Bird
$40 All Kickstarter-exclusive in-game items
$99 Beta Early Access (including the above)

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Note the add-ons. Add $15 to get Alpha Early Access. There is no standard tier that includes this (only Beta).

Also interesting that there's no add-on for DLC season pass. You'd think they would have it planned out this time...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom