Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous vs Baldurs Gate 3

Best our of the two games

• Pathfinder WOTR

• Baldurs Gate 3

Results are only viewable after voting.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
After disappointment of the greatest hyped up rpg Witcher 3, I have decided to play other recommended crpgs. Both of them needs 100hours or so to complete the game. Please let me know why you like one better than the other with specific reasons.

DemonKing

Arcane

I haven't finished either yet, but I'm probably more likely to finish BG3 as I prefer the combat and the reactivity is pretty crazy. Saying that Pathfinder has much deeper character development systems if that's your thing.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Wrathfinder has superior C&C and character building but BG3 is otherwise the better game.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Are you a build fag? If so, play WoTR.

If you are any other type of fag, play BG3.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Are you a build fag? If so, play WoTR.

If you are any other type of fag, play BG3.
iam not a buildfag. But i do like the C&C of Pathfinder Kingmaker. Played BG2 i liked it a lot but not finished it. IS BG3 anything like BG2? I remember BG2 having to own properties or houses?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
After disappointment of the greatest hyped up rpg Witcher 3, I have decided to play other recommended crpgs. Both of them needs 100hours or so to complete the game. Please let me know why you like one better than the other with specific reasons.
The Codex's GotY 2022 is about 100 hours long, at this point is fully patched, and even has plentiful mods.

ViC5Xak.png

Elden Ring

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I don't really know which one is best, I enjoyed both but they're different enough to scratch different itches and have their own flaws so I'll just give a quick summary of what I like and don't like about each of them.

BG3's overall narrative is linear despite having decent immediate reactivity to your actions and a lot of freedom in how you approach the smaller components (including Larian's 'kill anyone and you can still progress the main quest' commitment) whereas WOTR has a lot of reactivity to the big decisions you make (with different paths having exclusive quests and endings) but a lot less low level freedom. BG3's encounter design is better but they haven't managed to pull off turn based in way that doesn't feel tedious when there are large numbers of enemies (my personal preference for RtwP could affect my view on this though). I prefer the build autism in WotR but if you just want to play the game without worrying too much about planning ahead you'll probably enjoy BG3 more. Companions are a mixed bag in both but I was able to find enough that I liked to fill my team in each case. There is plenty of cringe in both, BG3 has much more consistent cringiness but for me nothing in it topped a moment in WotR where a certain companion locks themselves in jail to protect you from their overwhelming horniness.

ferratilis

Magister
Have you played Kingmaker? If not, play that one first.

volklore

Arcane
BG3 has better standalone adventures, better enemy variety and encounters. In fact BG3 feels like a bunch of standalone adventures stitched together by a very, very stupid plot. Lots of class reactivity. 5E ruleset advantage is less bloat, weak point is it's easy to understand and master so here goes most of the challenge in the game.

WoTR still has more interesting gameplay to me, due to lot of possible builds and classes and hard enough difficulty for your choices of party composition to matter. You'd have to try really hard in BG3 to make a party that doesn't roll on the content past lvl 5. WoTR has also a more coherent plot.

Both games are very woke but WoTR frontloads the woke shit heavily while in BG3 (omitting companions all being player-sexual) the woke themes get really inyourface past the midgame.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
This is liking asking if you'd prefer to have your left or right nut smashed with a hammer. Not really a meaningful choice.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I love WOTR and like it a lot more than BG3, but I admit I'm probably biased since it feels like it was made by Tumblr users and I spent my late elementary school years on Tumblr. It's a very flawed game with some unfinished mythic paths, shitty HOMM fights, combat tunnel dungeons, and trash encounters, but I found as a whole it came together better than its constituent parts would suggest. Baldur's Gate 3 is a tremendous disappointment because of the terrible writing and shitting on the old games, but the combat has a great base and the interactivity and puzzles are great. I hope they release tools that allow the community to create campaigns, since some giga-autist could really push the bounds of encounter design and create something amazing, which Larian can't do since it's a AAA game and needs to be playable by everyone.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The Codex's GotY 2022 is about 100 hours long, at this point is fully patched, and even has plentiful mods.

ViC5Xak.png

Elden Ring
Aw8k4Qi.png

cw8

Cipher
Wrath of the Righeous. It has more build options, goes to lvl 20, add in mythic classes which feel great, spellcasters rock. WOTR has harder fights.
D&D5e which BG3 uses sucks balls, concentration mechanic fucks up most spellcasters and they feel like wusses instead of nukes. Can't prebuff much. Only level 12, which is shit, hope it goes up to 20 at some point. That said melee feels good in BG3 and while I like WOTR, I wish its campaign was more like Kingmaker or BG3 instead of seeing Demons all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom