Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Not butthurt, but not including Civilization in a "PC games worth playing from 1991" list is kind of retarded

Some other games very much worth playing from 1991:

Conquests of the Longbow (adventure)
Space Quest IV (adventure)
Eye of the Beholder (RPG)
Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra (RPG)
Wing Commander 2 (space sim)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Fucking hell I can't believe how many great games were released that year... I just looked it up. I am so bored of gaming now but back then I was still 200% enthusiastic and it rewarded me with so many great games. This is what I can remember, I can't believe this all came out the same year... my god.

4D Sports Boxing - big step forward in terms of graphics/tech but I didn't try playing it.
ABC Wide World of Sports Boxing - My buddies and I loved this game! You got to make some custom choices for your boxer and manage their career as well as fighting.
The Adventures of Willy Beamish - Top end Adventure Game I think.
Battle Isle - strategy gaming back in the day! And it was really good.

Castles - One of my favorite games growing up and I still think about it. You are the King (maybe a Queen option) and you have to build a castle out in the wilderness in Bretagne. You click where to put the walls and turrets and drawbridge and moat and stuff and then watch as little workers come and slowly construct it. And you have to manage the taxes and wages too so it's like a building game. But there are also battles and you have to manage some archers and soldiers. And all while this happens you get random visits from people seeking your attention and you have to make decisions that have an impact on the gameplay. In 1991!

Commander Keen series - I don't really like platformers and stuff like that but these were some of the better ones.
Cover Girl Strip Poker - It was pre internet, boys had needs.
Elf - Maybe it's just that I was still young enough to care but I really liked this game. I don't usually like platformers but this one had quests and stuff and more freedom to move around.
Eye of the Beholder 1 + 2 - My introduction to RPGs and it was amazing for the time. Still holds up.
F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0 - I played an earlier version and loved it. I was getting bored of Flight Sims but this one was more actiony.
Falcon 3 - This was one of the most advanced games of the day. I read about it in a magazine and was really impressed, I got it for xmas and played it for years.
Gods - Top end platformer.

Gunship 2000 - One of my favorite games growing up and I still think about it. It's a chopper flight sim but more actiony than sim. Very actiony in fact, pretty much WASD with up and down and some weapons, just how I like it. There wasn't much flying, it auto hovered at a few hundred feet or whatever, your focus was on the mission and weapons. The enemy AI would shoot you if you got too close so you had to make use of the weapons and sometimes you had to pop up and down behind a mountain to avoid the missiles. Then later you get promoted and could have wingmen that you give orders to and control. And you can then promote those guys to make them better. I loved this game and it had nothing to do with flying. Never seen any flying game anything like that ever since.

Jimmy White's 'Whirlwind' Snooker - I was amazed they made a fun working version of pool or snooker on PC. You move the mouse like a cue and it hits the ball and it rolls with realistic physics. Common now but this was the first time I had seen simulation of something physics ish outside of a flight sim.

Lemmings - Big deal in gaming. I think I found it infuriating more than fun but the sequel I loved.

Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight - I loved this game so much, friends at school did too.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - This was like the biggest game of it's day. I don't know about sales or what, but this was like seeing PC Gaming going from being a few programmer nerds making space invaders type stuff, into big companies with artists and musicians and comedy writers and stuff... I was not really a fan though but I appreciated seeing things moving forward. (And I loved the soundtrack).

Mike Ditka Ultimate Football - I really loved this, no idea how it compares to other American Football games though because it's the only one I played.

Police Quest 3 - I loved this game, hard to explain why. I still think about it. Great soundtrack by Jan Hammer (Miami Vice).

Space Quest 4 - Top end Adventure Game. Not really for me although I liked it at the time.

Titus the Fox - I was so bored of platformers by this point but I remember this because of how well made it was.

Streetfighter 2 - This was so big it was on the news!

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
On my list of best non-RPGs of all-time, 1991 is one of three years with a three-way tie, in this case between Another World, Lemmings, and Civilization.

Good Amiga-original games released in 1991:
  • Lemmings
  • Another World
  • Populous II
  • Alien Breed
  • Amnios
  • Blade Warrior
  • Carcharodon
  • Fate: Gates of Dawn
  • First Samurai
  • Hunter
  • Moonstone
  • Wayne Gretzky Hockey II
  • Oh No! More Lemmings

6hWMZRl.png

For non-Amiga originals, 1991 also featured Civilization, Death Knights of Krynn, Eye of the Beholder, Might & Magic III, SimAnt, A Link to the Past (Legend of Zelda III), Final Fantasy IV, Street Fighter 2, and The Simpsons arcade game.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Fucking hell I can't believe how many great games were released that year... I just looked it up. I am so bored of gaming now but back then I was still 200% enthusiastic and it rewarded me with so many great games. This is what I can remember, I can't believe this all came out the same year... my god.

4D Sports Boxing - big step forward in terms of graphics/tech but I didn't try playing it.
ABC Wide World of Sports Boxing - My buddies and I loved this game! You got to make some custom choices for your boxer and manage their career as well as fighting.
The Adventures of Willy Beamish - Top end Adventure Game I think.
Battle Isle - strategy gaming back in the day! And it was really good.

Castles - One of my favorite games growing up and I still think about it. You are the King (maybe a Queen option) and you have to build a castle out in the wilderness in Bretagne. You click where to put the walls and turrets and drawbridge and moat and stuff and then watch as little workers come and slowly construct it. And you have to manage the taxes and wages too so it's like a building game. But there are also battles and you have to manage some archers and soldiers. And all while this happens you get random visits from people seeking your attention and you have to make decisions that have an impact on the gameplay. In 1991!

Commander Keen series - I don't really like platformers and stuff like that but these were some of the better ones.
Cover Girl Strip Poker - It was pre internet, boys had needs.
Elf - Maybe it's just that I was still young enough to care but I really liked this game. I don't usually like platformers but this one had quests and stuff and more freedom to move around.
Eye of the Beholder 1 + 2 - My introduction to RPGs and it was amazing for the time. Still holds up.
F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0 - I played an earlier version and loved it. I was getting bored of Flight Sims but this one was more actiony.
Falcon 3 - This was one of the most advanced games of the day. I read about it in a magazine and was really impressed, I got it for xmas and played it for years.
Gods - Top end platformer.

Gunship 2000 - One of my favorite games growing up and I still think about it. It's a chopper flight sim but more actiony than sim. Very actiony in fact, pretty much WASD with up and down and some weapons, just how I like it. There wasn't much flying, it auto hovered at a few hundred feet or whatever, your focus was on the mission and weapons. The enemy AI would shoot you if you got too close so you had to make use of the weapons and sometimes you had to pop up and down behind a mountain to avoid the missiles. Then later you get promoted and could have wingmen that you give orders to and control. And you can then promote those guys to make them better. I loved this game and it had nothing to do with flying. Never seen any flying game anything like that ever since.

Jimmy White's 'Whirlwind' Snooker - I was amazed they made a fun working version of pool or snooker on PC. You move the mouse like a cue and it hits the ball and it rolls with realistic physics. Common now but this was the first time I had seen simulation of something physics ish outside of a flight sim.

Lemmings - Big deal in gaming. I think I found it infuriating more than fun but the sequel I loved.

Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight - I loved this game so much, friends at school did too.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - This was like the biggest game of it's day. I don't know about sales or what, but this was like seeing PC Gaming going from being a few programmer nerds making space invaders type stuff, into big companies with artists and musicians and comedy writers and stuff... I was not really a fan though but I appreciated seeing things moving forward. (And I loved the soundtrack).

Mike Ditka Ultimate Football - I really loved this, no idea how it compares to other American Football games though because it's the only one I played.

Police Quest 3 - I loved this game, hard to explain why. I still think about it. Great soundtrack by Jan Hammer (Miami Vice).

Space Quest 4 - Top end Adventure Game. Not really for me although I liked it at the time.

Titus the Fox - I was so bored of platformers by this point but I remember this because of how well made it was.

Streetfighter 2 - This was so big it was on the news!
I think the OG list is about games still worth playing. COver Girl Strip Poker and many others did not age well.

The 1991 games that I believe are still worth playing are
- Wing Commander II
- Lemmings (if you are into puzzle games)
- Monkey Island II (of course)
- Zelda : A Link to the Past (console, but if you have a Nintendo Switch and never played it is still absolutely worth it).

Some of the games mentioned in the thread were outstanding, but did not age that well : Another World (I played it 6 or 7 years ago and it already felt old), Battle Isle I (on the other hand, BI2 is still very playable), even Eye of the Beholder I.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Without looking at your butthurt bait first, this is the 1991 games I personally think are still worth playing:
Death Knights of Krynn
Disciples of Steel
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Might and Magic 3
Pools of Darkness
Civilization (as an introduction if you are new to Civ games)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's amazing, developers were so motivated back then to make the best game that they could.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom