Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Peleron's Brilliant Rebirth v0.105

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Peleron's Brilliant Rebirth

If playing early release alpha versions of rogue-likes is your thing, you might want to take a look at <a href="http://www.kolumbus.fi/topi_ylinen/peleron/">Peleron's Brilliant Rebirth</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>The game is set in Ikoniel, a unique world designed by Topi Ylinen. For more details on the game world, refer to the files Introduction.rtf and world.txt in the game docs directory.
<br>
<br>
* Traditional ascii-based bird's-eye view, turn-based engine, keyboard interface
<br>
* Build a party of 4 characters
<br>
* Easily move your party around (like in a single-character roguelike); use formations to let your strong fighters protect your weak spellcasters
<br>
* Over 40 starting classes with different sets of available skills; also a number of starting races with unique strengths and weaknesses
<br>
* Skill and level-based character development system: mold your characters by investing stat and skill advancement points, and improve your skills by training
<br>
* A complex magic system with 8 Realms of Magic (with elements such as rarity, difficulty, multi-realm spells, race/class restrictions etc.)
<br>
* Choose your path: become the champion of virtue with a Good party, or steal and plunder with an Evil party!
<br>
* Graduate your characters into awesome advanced classes such as an Archmage, the Grand Inquisitor, or the dread Harbinger of the Night
<br>
* Loose, non-linear plot; quests with random elements - quests can have different endings resulting in different storylines
<br>
* Explore an immense (and expanding) fantasy world, different locations with different landscape, different monsters, different NPCs, different objects, different quests etc.
<br>
* Different starting locations for the different PC races
<br>
* Freeware!</blockquote>
<br>
Version 0.105 has just been released to the public at large.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>getter77</b>!

sheek

Arbiter
A party-based Rogue-like with a plot, sounds pretty damn good. Any screenshots?

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
sheek said:
A party-based Rogue-like with a plot, sounds pretty damn good. Any screenshots?
It's a game that is 1.2MB zipped. Are you sure you want to base your impression with screenshots?

getter77

Augur
"pseudo-roguelike CRPG"----I hope we start to see more of these one day.

I hope future development will be brisk as opposed to the missing year or so on it. Good progress is good progress though!

Castanova

Prophet
I don't think it should have been released in its current state. It feels very very rough. I guess I'll check back on this if there's any news about it in a year or so.

cardtrick

Arbiter
shihonage said:
Hey, textmode can be pretty.

Indeed!

For instance:

But that's a poor example. You want pretty ASCII roguelikes? Check out the Doryen Library and the projects being made with it. For example:

libtcod_proj_ur-full;init:.png

Or check out the Chronicles of Doryen trailer (warning, there's sound).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That's not textmode, that's colored text done via 3D acceleration.

Real console (DOS) textmode is limited to a set of specific resolutions, in 16 glorious colors. That's where my screenshot is from.

mondblut

Arcane
:roll:

They've got zooming maps and dynamic weathers and fancy shadings but *still* insist on battling the alphabet. Is it some sort of freudean aversion to literacy and writing? Like being forced too roughly to learn reading back in childhood?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom