Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Penumbra VS Silent Hill 1 & 2?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Hi folx, I'm a pussy who love the SH series because they managed to make me piss screaming in fear due to all the horrors they brought. I've heard that another brilliant horror game series the Codex adore are the Penumbra series. How scary are they? Should I get them and prepare some diapers to cover my coward ass?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Penumbra is ok, but there is no comparison IMO. Anyway, the fact that you were piss screaming in fear with SH really tells you're a pussy, since these games don't have many sudden/cheap scares, they mostly rely on psychological fear. So yeah, I'm sure you'll also need some diapers handy.

denizsi

Arcane
SH1 > everything else

The sequels were too mainstream/Hollywood-influenced for their own good.

Dionysus

Scholar
Silent Hill has better storytelling, which is something that I normally wouldn't even note about a videogame. It's unique for a videogame and reminds me of David Lynch.

Penumbra's storytelling is less interesting, but the atmosphere is good. The first Penumbra was lame because it was too easy to kill the enemies. The second episode was great, and probably features the best gameplay of any of these games.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Silent Hill 2 is a wonderful game. I loved the first hour or so of Penumbra, but quickly realised that I wasn't going to be encountering anything actually frightening in that episode at least. From there on, it was just a convoluted little jaunt through some interestingly-designed puzzles. Is the second one better?

Dionysus said:
Silent Hill has better storytelling, which is something that I normally wouldn't even note about a videogame. It's unique for a videogame and reminds me of David Lynch.

Exactly why I love SH games, especially SH2, I'm a huge David Lynch fan. There's nothing else in the movie industry that would give me that weird dream-like feeling Lynch does, so it's even more impressive to me that video game managed to achieve that, at least partially.
I remember first time completing SH2 and being emotionally touched by it while also being surprised about it. Up until then, no other game stayed with me after I finished it.

mountain hare

Scholar
Multidirectional said:
Dionysus said:

Exactly why I love SH games, especially SH2, I'm a huge David Lynch fan. There's nothing else in the movie industry that would give me that weird dream-like feeling Lynch does, so it's even more impressive to me that video game managed to achieve that, at least partially.
I remember first time completing SH2 and being emotionally touched by it while also being surprised about it. Up until then, no other game stayed with me after I finished it.

Word. Angela at the staircase, James watching the tape, Mary reading the letter. Silent Hill 2 may not have the 'fear factor' SH1 did, but it really did hit home hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom