Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People don't know 'wtf' an RPG is anymore?

DefJam101

Arcane
First off, hello all, this is my first post.

I've been reading reviews/news articles here for a few months. They are great reads + very accurate, I enjoy the site a lot. Looking forward to hanging out on these forums more.

To VD: This is a personal 'thanks' I suppose. I've been an avid 'gamer' for the past 4 or 5 years (ever since I built my new PC that is..), but could never really get 'into' RPGs. Honestly I never knew there was much more out there besides Morrowind (and more recently, Oblivion) and I dismissed RPGs as little more than gimmicky ego-romps through a 5 y/o's fantasy world filled with happy-smiley quest dispensers.

At the time (and they still are) everyone was screaming "OBLIVION OBLIVIONZ ZOMG BLARGGRAWR OBLIVIONS TES4 BETHESDA" (in that order), and I was stuck scratching my head. It was fun for, well, maybe a day, but then it was complete and total -blah-. Ever since my friend from a Unreal Tournament server gave me a link to this site (in an Oblivo-flame-war) for an "accurate Oblivion review" I've been, well, hooked.

You introduced me to the world of RPGs. I went out and bought Gothic 3 (which was a shit load more fun than every review site said it would be.) just in time to see Piranha Bytes get fucked over by JoWood (-_-). I recently started playing Fallout 2, and after the initial 'LOL GRAPHICS' shock, has been extremely enjoyable.

So err, thanks. You're (you all are) staring the horrors of 'next-gen' in the face and not giving up, even at the cost of losing mainstream 'credibility' (or whatever that's supposed to mean, nowadays.) -And that takes a lot of character, I think. Keep up the good work!

ANYWAYS...

I was talking to a friend.. of my friend, yesterday while driving in the car. The subject of computers came up, which led to the subject of computer games.. which led to the subject of World of Warcraft (the only game this guy played on the PC, apparently.. he said he had an XBox 360/PS2/XBox as well...)

I got into an argument with him about how WoW wasn't really "all that great" (let's leave it at that) and the subject of 'what makes and RPG' somehow arose. Apparently, he was an avid Final Fantasy player (I've actually never played any of them, except a recent one on the PS2, which was IMHO, terrible.)

After arguing about things for a while, my friend, who was in the car, asked (to quote him directly) "What the fuck exactly IS an RPG, anyways?"

..To which the other guy responded, in a very matter-of-fact manner, "An RPG is a game set in a medieval or fantasy setting in which you gain experience points to level up a character, while gaining new gear and weapons to kill bigger monsters and people until you reach a final boss."

I can't, uhm, define an RPG, but that definition (and this guy actually believed THAT was what an RPG was) is pretty fucked up.

Here's some other quotes from the conversation:

Me: "Have you ever played Chrono Trigger?" (I should note that I have never played Chrono Trigger, however this man claimed to know everything about RPGs -specifically the FF ones- so I figured I would ask..)
Him: "No, why would I want to?"
Me: "Uhmm.. what?"
Him: "Chrono trigger?"

-this lead to these comments after a few minutes-

Him: "If it has guns it's not an RPG, you dumbass!"

Sadly, this would've been MY exact viewpoint a few months ago had I not been (quite literally) introduced to RPGs through this forum.

Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone knows of any Sci-Fi CRPGs, I would appreciate it if you could give me some names. (I'm a Sci-Fi maniac)

,Def

Deleted member 7219

KOTOR and KOTOR2 are two good sci-fi RPGs.

Vampire Bloodlines is modern fantasy, not necessarily sci-fi but definitely not medieval fantasy.

DefJam101

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
KOTOR and KOTOR2 are two good sci-fi RPGs.

Vampire Bloodlines is modern fantasy, not necessarily sci-fi but definitely not medieval fantasy.

I heard both KOTORs were very Fable-esq? :?

Jora

Arcane
They are linear hack and slash RPGs where you guide your characters through endless corridors killing monsters and triggering cut scenes. The first one is decent but has awful writing and the Star Wars setting is more like D&D in space. The second one has better writing and a good plot but falls apart in the end.

I enjoyed both and have actually replayed the first game several times for reasons unknown to me.

roshan

Arcane
DefJam - It's not sci-fi, but I can strongly recommend Planescape Torment. It is set in an extremely non-standard fantasy setting, and according to the last poll around here, is the Codex's top RPG.

Regarding what an RPG is, I define an RPG as a game that allows players to define their character by making choices that lead to consequences in the game.

The_Pope

Scholar
This is a personal 'thanks' I suppose. I've been an avid 'gamer' for the past 4 or 5 years (ever since I built my new PC that is..), but could never really get 'into' RPGs. Honestly I never knew there was much more out there besides Morrowind (and more recently, Oblivion) and I dismissed RPGs as little more than gimmicky ego-romps through a 5 y/o's fantasy world filled with happy-smiley quest dispensers.

At the time (and they still are) everyone was screaming "OBLIVION OBLIVIONZ ZOMG BLARGGRAWR OBLIVIONS TES4 BETHESDA" (in that order), and I was stuck scratching my head. It was fun for, well, maybe a day, but then it was complete and total -blah-. Ever since my friend from a Unreal Tournament server gave me a link to this site (in an Oblivo-flame-war) for an "accurate Oblivion review" I've been, well, hooked.

You introduced me to the world of RPGs. I went out and bought Gothic 3 (which was a shit load more fun than every review site said it would be.) just in time to see Piranha Bytes get fucked over by JoWood (-_-). I recently started playing Fallout 2, and after the initial 'LOL GRAPHICS' shock, has been extremely enjoyable.

So err, thanks. You're (you all are) staring the horrors of 'next-gen' in the face and not giving up, even at the cost of losing mainstream 'credibility' (or whatever that's supposed to mean, nowadays.) -And that takes a lot of character, I think. Keep up the good work!

+1 QFT etc.

Until I found this site, I had written off RPGs as a bunch of action games designed for people so dumb they needed the character to do all the foozle stabbing for them. Then I found out about games like Fallout and Planescape.

Multiplayer FPSs still get most of my playtime, but I really do appreciate this site for showing me the gems hidden underneath all the omg lewt!!! ^.^ bullshit.

aries202

Erudite
I don't know if both KOTORs were very Fable-esque, but I do know that Knight of the old Republic (the first one) probably was made before Fable?? (I think?)

KOTOR and KOTOR2 are great sci-fi RPGs. Some people also enjoy Arcanum quite a bit as it seem to
have an interesting story set in a sort of western sci-fi world. Fallout 1 and 2 are great sci-fi games, too, but takes its cue from the 1950's versions of the how the future might have been 100 years or so after the (atomic) bombs fell.

There's also a game called Septerra Core, but I played the demo once, and I don't think it is a really good game. It is mostly a hack&slash game, but not a very well done hack&slash game, I think.
There's a game called Scrapland, but I don't think that's an RPG?

There's much talk about the nes Xbox 360 game, Mass Effect, made by Bioware, and a little game called Fallout 3, made by Bethesda. Of course, there's the very old game Wasteland, but that's nearly 20 years old, I think. Is Darksun or Darklands? sci-fi rpgs? (they are older games as well).

If you're a sci-fi nut, I would suggest you could try to play some adventure games with sci fi motives like The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, a recently released game called Culpa Innata and possibly Syberia 1 and 2.

Kraszu

Prophet
You should try Gothic I, it is very diferent from G3 so don't expect it.

As for PB they are making game now, in new settings, and it will be closer in gameplay to Gothic I.

Palmer Eldritch

Educated
well, you mentioned chrono trigger- some of the action takes place in a future post-apocalyptic setting. The game is very linear, of course, but in the later stages of the game, you can do some optional side-quests that all relate to the story and game world in an interesting way. There is also numerous endings, and the music and visuals creates a nice atmosphere. Even if you generally dislike Japanese rpgs, this one isn't bad.

Dark Elf

Erudite
While it can be hard to come by these days, I feel that I'm obliged to add Arcanum to the thread. It's an RPG in a quite innovative steampunk setting, and pretty much on your Must Play List if you're into RPG's.

Well, since two of Troikas games have already been mentioned I guess I could add the Temple of Elemental Evil too, but it's not that great in the whole roleplaying side of things. It shines when it comes to turnbased combat though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sci-Fi RPG? Wizardry 8.

On that note, Wizardry 8 is the only RPG you need to have played in your life.

Okay, it's not really sci-fi, more fantasy crossed with sci-fi.

For a more serious answer: the venerable Buck Rogers games.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Any thoughts?
tell your dumbass friend that chrono trigger had guns (as did most final fantasies, wild arms, and a great deal of other jrpgs)
still it's a must if you aren't an absolute jrpg hater (so is suikoden, and a couple of other games like shadowrun or metal max returns on the snes). some jrpgs have pretty awesome features, too bad the market is dominated by ff sans clones.

Also, if anyone knows of any Sci-Fi CRPGs, I would appreciate it if you could give me some names. (I'm a Sci-Fi maniac)
anachronox, might and magic (in fantasy guise), wizardry (same as the previous one, though more obvious), the old buck rogers games by tsr, megatraveller 1+2, and sundog: frozen legacy has a somewhat rpgish feel to it though it technically isn't one.

edit: planet's edge (must), whale's voyage 1+2
edit2: ooooh, and albion. totally forgot that one.. spiritual successor to amberstar, where you are a human stranded on a planet. albion is an absolute must for any rpg lover.
edit3: there's also the fall, which is a german post apoc rpg that has been praised to heavens here in germany, but i personally found rather lame.
of course also the classics like arcanum (steampunk being a sub genre of sci-fi), or wasteland/fallout/fallout 2

slipgate_angel

Scholar
An RPG is a game set in a medieval or fantasy setting.
Close, but no donut. Actually, I'm having trobles understanding what RPGs are, since that almost all of the games the RPG codex likes are non linear games. I'm wondering if non linearity really makes the game?

Anyways, your friend definantly step right into that one, because we all know Fallout is all about magic and elves. :wink:

Palmer Eldritch

Educated
indeed, shadowrun for the snes is simply marvelous, I rank this among the best gaming experience of rpgs. sure, the combat could've been handled better, as well as the hacking, but it was sufficient to accompany the story. I could actually list a lot of technical issues of game design, but that doesn't prevent me from returning for another playthrough. It could be nostalgia, but I believe that if you're after a good sci-fi experience, this should be mandatory.
I have tried the SEGA game as well, and it seems to be more freedom and interactivity, but I had a hard time getting into it. Any advice on how to play it properly?

The_Pope

Scholar
The codex stamp of RPGness seems to go to games in which you can actually play a character and have the game react to it. It also needs non-cosmetic character customization (which includes developing a pregenerated character like TNO or Geralt in different ways), and for a pure RPG, heavily stat based gameplay.

Palmer Eldritch

Educated
It's not inherently wrong to play a completely predefined character, because you can still offer character development throughout the game, but I agree that it becomes more interesting if you can affect your stats in the beginning. Being able to affect the world basically boils down to good writing and branching.

DefJam101

Arcane
Ugh, it's strange to say it, but if you were 'raised' on high-resolution graphics, it's pretty tough to step down into the realm of 2D, even if the art direction is very good >.<

Still enjoying F2, but I think it will take me a while to try out the likes of earlier RPGs..

My 8800GTX hates me..

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
At OP, you shuld give KotOR2 a try. It's much better than the first KotOR, don't listen to what others say. Or you can wait for Gizka team to finish their KotOR2 Restoration Project (but that may take a while), and meanwhile play Deus Ex if you want sci-fi rpg, or Planescape: Torment if you want great rpg in general.

Edit: Though your awesome graphix card may hate you even more, especially with PS:T.

Palmer Eldritch

Educated
yeah planescape torment is hard to argue against. I find the fallout games or arcanum to be more replayable though. I have only completed torment once, even though I loved it, while I've lost count of how many times I tried different character builds in arcanum and fallout.

psycojester

Arbiter
If you think he was going for E-penis trais how about you go try and run something like Dark Omen on a modern computer and then shut the fuck up.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't have any Dark Omen copy, but I'll try to acquire one and then try. It looks fun on Jasede's Let's Play thread.
But I don't get why you mention it here. F/F2 never have any issues with my computers, and belive me, I played it on different configurations.
And I don't remember any of my graphic cards complaining, yet alone hating me for playing it, or some other older games, even like Cannon Fodder, Another World or Flashback.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom