Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Persona 2 - Innocent Sin

Tycn

Savant
English PSP version is out. Can some of youse closet weeaboos tell me if this shit is worth playing?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's got Hitler, so yes, yes it is.

Anyway move this shit to General Gaming plz.

hanssolo

Educated
persona_2_hitler_sunglasses.png

it derps up hitler in the name of censorship, though.

If the SMT series isn't RPG then neither is Wizardry. Can't have it both ways, dude.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
hanssolo said:
If the SMT series isn't RPG then neither is Wizardry. Can't have it both ways, dude.

Honestly, RPG discussion is the worst board on this site other than the SCIENCE! one, so this is for the best.

Zomg

Arbiter
It's slow as hell and the combat feels like boring grinding even when you're rushing through (including all the talking menu-navigation stuff). I was too bored to continue the emulated Playstation version after a couple of hours, even with a fast-forward button set, and this is from a person that has played multiple Infinity Engine games to completion.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Oh, the original was on the PS ? I was about to ask whether PSP emulators could run this game.

Better move on to the next question then. Is the game actually worth playing ?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The PSP port has skippable battle animations and a revamped combat UI.

Besides that, the contact system is not very good - mix & match until you get the desired outcome, note it down, then repeat it multiple times to get rumours or cards. The annoying thing is that you need to get certain numbers of cards to get new personas, so there's always grinding required, since if you get cards, you don't get exp. Still, you probably won't need to fuse new personas for quite some time, the initial set you get covers all the elements.

Combat, at least on the PSP port, is quite easy, at least in the first 5 hours I've played. Auto attack can be set up to replay your last action, and since enemies appear in fixed groups you can just adjust your auto attacks to exploit their weaknesses and let the battle run. I remember the original being harder, but then again I approached that one as a newbie of SMT, so that might count for something. Fusion spells do make things pretty easy, particularly since your SP regenerates as you move around on the map. Also you can actually buy SP recovery items, unlike Persona 3 & 4. This makes dungeon crawls easier despite the high encounter rate - so yeah. More tedious. I use items to decrease the enemy encounter rate.

I do like the rumour system though. Plus Hitler Der Fuhrer and Nazis the Imperial Guards are fun. And there's Nya-rlathotep, whose presence was sadly lacking in the later games.

Tycn

Savant
treave said:
It's got Hitler, so yes, yes it is.
That was actually what piqued my interest.

Since the tedium of combat has quite possibly been resolved and no ill has been spoken of the writing, I think I'll give it a go.

I actually enjoyed IE combat, at least while the illusion of variety persisted. Hope that doesn't become an issue.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Uh, good luck dude.

(it's only the most grindtastic FF clone i know, with retarded characterization as usual)

Vagiel

Augur
SCO said:
Uh, good luck dude.

(it's only the most grindtastic FF clone i know, with retarded characterization as usual)

Ok, I understand it is cool to bash everything and anything because its the codex, but at least try to use some valid criticism. FF clone, really? Retarded characterization? Grind?

Post such as this make me doubt any opinions I find on the codex and for that I am sorry because many people here offer valid and harsh criticism, but at least they have actual arguments.

It does play somewhat like a Final Fantasy title...though I was able to get through Eternal Punishment (aka "Innocent sin: Why the fuck is Maya a mute now") without much grinding. Most of your power comes from acquiring new, better Personas instead of upping your own character's stats, anyway.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Vagiel said:
SCO said:
Uh, good luck dude.

Ok, I understand it is cool to bash everything and anything because its the codex, but at least try to use some valid criticism. FF clone, really? Retarded characterization? Grind?

Post such as this make me doubt any opinions I find on the codex and for that I am sorry because many people here offer valid and harsh criticism, but at least they have actual arguments.

Sorry, i can't get excited about teenagers and their pathetic problems in a apocalyptic setting anymore.

I'm sure you understand, i'm almost 30.

Vagiel

Augur
No one asked you to, all I ask for is valid criticism, which incidentally should be much more fit to your age rather than posting for postings sake.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Sigh, pathetic. The game is about a clique of teenagers (i've heard this before) investigating serial murders (zzzzzzzz) that are contracted through phoning a mysterious telephone number (derp).

Meanwhile, there is some kind of band, a evil corporation (of course!), the demons somewhere and a relationship system, among some 10.000 battles, eventually you fight nyarlathotep and hitler in support of a faggy butterfly (while you a silent protagonist has a troubled, very under-expressed sexual tension with the Japanese ideal woman party member (instead of the aryan whore that knows chinese, that is also a party member and wants your dick soooo bad - because you're in japan gaijin).

I forgot something about some kinds of transvestites related to the band, i'm not sure. Both games kinda mixed up in my mind.

Take your stupid tropes and stuff them up your ass.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Clockwork Knight said:
SCO said:
I only play mature games for mature gamers such as myself

an enjoyable tale, friend

That's it, i don't. I am cursed to play all the current and future dreck marketed towards teenaged boys.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And i forgot the rumor system. Something apparently designed solely to make you crawl the same dungeon multiple times in search of some respite to the terrible OCD you obviously suffer if you're playing these games.

Tycn

Savant
I'm almost willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the dear weeaboos and assume that the 12 year old high school drama bullshit is in this instance conducted with some degree of finesse, but I have been finding the quantity of random encounters most irksome.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tycn said:
I'm almost willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the dear weeaboos and assume that the 12 year old high school drama bullshit is in this instance conducted with some degree of finesse, but I have been finding the quantity of random encounters most irksome.

That's why you have to stock up on encounter decreasing items whenever you can. As I mentioned, it isn't even difficult since you regenerate SP with every step, so encounters are tedious rather than challenging. Fuck the storyfags who say Persona 2 is superior to its sequels, the school-date sims of P3 and 4 have better battle mechanics.

The highly superior press-turn system is still the best thing Atlus ever implemented.

spekkio

Arcane
I can confirm what SCO wrote (Persona 2 = shit).
I could stomach high encounter rate in SMT3 (challenge), decided to disable most encounters in SMT1 (no challenge) but gave up on Persona 2 - IS after ~6 hours.
Insanely high encounter rate + stupid negotiation system + no challenge). Story / characters are nothing to write home about as well. Gossip system looked interesting on paper, but to avoid revisiting dungeons you would have to use a Walkthrough or sth.

:M

If I ever go back to this game, I'm gonna hexedit myself >9000 these free cards or whatever those were called so I don't have to participate in demon diplomacy at all. Editing money so you can buy enough encounter decreasing items seems like a good idea as well.

:smug:

If you want to play good SMT game start with SMT3 - Nocturne.

SMT and spinoffs before SMT3 have really poor balance (you can automate 99% of fights in SMT1, so I ended up traveling down corridors with the auto button held down running the emulator at 1000% speed to literally walk through fights) and bad to really bad fusion systems (not that you ever need to use them). Definitely play SMT3 first if you are going to play any of them, it is by far the best.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The rumor system was actually funny, when not used for altering a dungeon. It was funny when they "changed" normal people to become arms dealers.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
spekkio said:
If I ever go back to this game, I'm gonna hexedit myself >9000 these free cards or whatever those were called so I don't have to participate in demon diplomacy at all. Editing money so you can buy enough encounter decreasing items seems like a good idea as well.
it doesn't make the game any more tolerable. :/

something is seriously wrong with your game design if people who could stomach playing through the original skies of arcadia on dreamcast quit your game after the first boss due to high encounter rate....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom