Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines talks to Guardian

Nedrah

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
I bet Fallout 3 will get the auto-walk feature. After starting a quest you get a window asking "Do you want to walk to the quest goal? Yes/No", and when you click yes, you are teleported to the goal. Oh, and when you die 3 times in a row when trying to defeat an enemy, there comes another window asking you "This enemy is obviously too hard for you. Do you want to kill him automatically? Yes/No" and clicking yes just kills him off.

But it is NOT handholding and still hardcore!!!

Careful.
Many such a prediction was made before we learned the details of Oblivion, usually in an effort to exagerate and make absurd predictions. Most of them turned out to be spot on.
They may be secretly drawing inspiration from the codex. "Hey, if the codex hates it, it's SO going to sell to our target audience

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Nedrah said:
They may be secretly drawing inspiration from the codex. "Hey, if the codex hates it, it's SO going to sell to our target audience
That can be used to our advantage.

I hate not having X.

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
I'm playing Geneforge 4 now, and damn, the game is unforgiving. I have a list of places where I was forced to retreat from. Makes a huge difference.

Stop fooling around and get Your damn vapourware game done ffs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OccupatedVoid said:
Nedrah said:
That can be used to our advantage.

I hate not having X.

Choices and consequences suck ass. I want a linear storyline, and no choices at all.
Choices and consequences are for stupid mainstream teenagers who like Oblivion!

Lumpy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Oh, and when you die 3 times in a row when trying to defeat an enemy, there comes another window asking you "This enemy is obviously too hard for you. Do you want to kill him automatically? Yes/No" and clicking yes just kills him off.
Not that bad a feature, actually. Would work for a poorly designed game, where you could end up underpowered at certain points.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Lumpy said:
JarlFrank said:
Oh, and when you die 3 times in a row when trying to defeat an enemy, there comes another window asking you "This enemy is obviously too hard for you. Do you want to kill him automatically? Yes/No" and clicking yes just kills him off.
Not that bad a feature, actually. Would work for a poorly designed game, where you could end up underpowered at certain points.
Like, Oblivion if you choose only non-combat major skills? I knew there was something missing in that game.

Section8

Cipher
Lumpy said:
JarlFrank said:

I needed that in KOTOR, when my character had to face up to two of those "oh noes psyical manfest ashun of teh dark sied!1!!" critters when my shining white avatar of all that is good and pure <s>decided</s> was forced to join the Sith.

And seriously, it's actually a positive feature in my books. Let's look at the options:

A piss-easy game that any random yahoo can blitz OR a difficult game that provides some respite for someone who can't meet the challenge. The trick is to avoid shaming the player, who is already feeling pretty inadequate at their repeated failure without needing the game to point it out. :twisted:

I'm all for accessibility options. Oblivion's quest compass and in-game walkthrough would fantastic features if they weren't compulsory.

Relien

Scholar
Section8 said:
And seriously, it's actually a positive feature in my books. Let's look at the options:

A piss-easy game that any random yahoo can blitz OR a difficult game that provides some respite for someone who can't meet the challenge. The trick is to avoid shaming the player, who is already feeling pretty inadequate at their repeated failure without needing the game to point it out. :twisted:

I'm all for accessibility options. Oblivion's quest compass and in-game walkthrough would fantastic features if they weren't compulsory.

Or you can have multiple ways to achieve what you want. If the combat is too difficult, try something like poisenout apples, persuasion minigame or even actual dialogue (I still have some hope for F3 :wink: ). Or play at a lower difficulty level.

IMO all this is better than things like in-game walkthrough/cheats. Maybe it's just me, but I'm glad there is the need to quit (or alt-tab) a game and search for a hint on the net instead of simply pressing some hotkey to show you the solution to every problem. You can edit your saved game, google a walkthrough or cheats, but these shouldn't be parts of the game. You do it consciously when you are really stuck or to overcome a bug.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
I think that the options for getting through a quest where you are woefully unprepared should fall into 3 categories:

1. Run away, come back to fight another day

2. Decrease the difficulty level

3. CHEAT

There should exist cheat codes for every game. Item creation, god mode, etc. Anyone who sucks at the game can just switch on god mode and max out all their stats and play through the game so they can get through the story. Simple enough.

Game developers shouldn't punish people my forbidding them from seeing all the content if they suck at the game (e.g. Ninja Gaiden) , if you pay for the fucking game you should be able to do what you want with it. But iinstead of dumbing down the difficulty, you might as well just let people cheat if they can find the cheat codes.

Or if it's a PC game they can probably just edit some files without cheat codes. That's what I used to do with Duke Nukem.

Relien

Scholar
If you really suck at the game even at the lowest difficulty level (if it has some) then it probably isn't a game for you and you shouldn't play it. If you are interested in the story but you are unable to play the game, just read the story somewhere, it's usually easy to find.

When you find yourself in a situation you can't handle, just find another way to deal with it. If there isn't such a possibility, admit your defeat and find some cheat/hint/save editor to overcome the obstacle. BUT - it should be clear that you aren't doing so within the game rules. There's no way your character can magically become invulnerable if you press IDDQD, this is an action that happens outside of the game(world). The game has its challenges and these in-game cheats should be readily available for beta testers, not for players.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Of course, cheating is something done outside the gameworld. But it should be an option. Yeah, if you suck at a game, you shouldn't be playing it. But if you dropped $50-$60 on a game, it would be nice if it the developers didn't just give a big "fuck you" to people that bought the game and want to play through the storyline despite sucking at it. Reading through the story on the internet is infinitely less satisfying than going around killing things in god mode.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Commies interviewing a communist game developer... what a surprise.

psycojester

Arbiter
Of course, cheating is something done outside the gameworld. But it should be an option. Yeah, if you suck at a game, you shouldn't be playing it. But if you dropped $50-$60 on a game, it would be nice if it the developers didn't just give a big "fuck you" to people that bought the game and want to play through the storyline despite sucking at it. Reading through the story on the internet is infinitely less satisfying than going around killing things in god mode.

Now all together now codex..... NO FREE RIDES! If you suck at the game practice and get better at it. Fun is derived from challenge, instant gratification kills this. I loved Ninja Gaiden for its dedication to making the game play insanely hard, it made it worthwhile (except for the ghost-fish that shit was just fucking sadistic)

dagorkan

Arbiter
JoKa said:
communist? i always thought making money was a sure sign of capitalism...

No it's just the means to an end (cf "Communist Manifesto", Karl Marx 1848). To infect the minds of the innocent young and turn them into brainless homosexual puppets who'll more easily vote for their political backers - the Jew-controlled, nigger-loving Democratic Party. See it's not just about Oblivion being a shitty game, the stakes are the survival of Western Civilization. So far only the RPGCodex stands in their way and for the salvation of mankind. There are only two sides. Choose your fight comrade... :honorblade:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
No it's just the means to an end (cf "Communist Manifesto", Karl Marx 1848). To infect the minds of the innocent young and turn them into brainless homosexual puppets who'll more easily vote for their political backers - the Jew-controlled, nigger-loving Democratic Party.

You are delusional.

The gaming industry is controlled by the right wing capitalist pigs that brainwash the masses in order to make them spend all their money in shit.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
You're all wrong. Vince D. Weller is the ultimate videogame industry kingpin, untouchable in his communist labor-powered flying fortress which will unleash EXTREME mainstream doom upon your unsuspecting asses.

:honourblade:

Top Hat

Scholar
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was in reference to the villain from Ultima.

It would make sense...

Section8

Cipher
Or you can have multiple ways to achieve what you want. If the combat is too difficult, try something like poisenout apples, persuasion minigame or even actual dialogue (I still have some hope for F3 ).

Well that's ideal, but that doesn't help with aspects that aren't to do with game difficulty, such as the player's unwillingness/inability to pay attention to direction. Something that big shiny red arrows that point the way are an alternative.

Even though I don't really agree with the whole notion of dumbing down, an option to is a reasonable compromise to broaden your market.

Or play at a lower difficulty level.

Well, that's part of it. Trying to catch repeated player failure and adjusting the game difficulty accordingly. But there's a lot that needs to be tracked to put player failure into context. For instance, the player might be taking on something far beyond their abilities, and in such a case, the game shouldn't be prompting the player to adjust their difficulty level, or just outright doing it without the player knowing, it should educating the player that not all battles can be won by all characters, so perhaps they should come back when they're more powerful.

IMO all this is better than things like in-game walkthrough/cheats. Maybe it's just me, but I'm glad there is the need to quit (or alt-tab) a game and search for a hint on the net instead of simply pressing some hotkey to show you the solution to every problem. You can edit your saved game, google a walkthrough or cheats, but these shouldn't be parts of the game. You do it consciously when you are really stuck or to overcome a bug.

I'm fine with it, as long as it's inobtrusive. For instance, many sims, space/flight sims in particular have invulnerability/unlimited ammo/etc options that can be toggled from a menu. It only damages the player's enjoyment of the game if they choose the option. Unfortunately, Oblivion's method of patronising the player every step of the way with a step-by-step playguide means the player has to take the "dumb" option.

I'd be all for the "three hint" style walkthrough, where the player can get a vague hint, a more direct one or finally the exact solution, if they request it, either directly or by optionally enabling the game to track player failures.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
*Ideally* multiple solutions through a game should be implemented. That said, I am rabidly in favor of making cheatng or tweaking a part of the game through the options screen or what not.

What kind of bullshit is it to say that if a part of a game is too hard for you you shouldn't be playing that game? For starters finding some text doc that describes the story is nothing like experiencing it via the game, even with a tweaked chararcter. Also, there are plenty of games where the majority of it is not to difficult but there is always that one part or that one fucking boss or whatever. If you can complete 90% of a game save one part, one boss whatever then let me cheat, tweak, adjust difficulty etc painlessly. And this should be available via the game itself (i.e options screen or some such). I don't always feel like saving, quitting then searching the internet for cheats or tips or someone who has the same problem as I. I paid my money for the damn thing, designers, other players etc shouldn't worry their pretty liittle heads over whether I want to cheat, or save every five seconds or any other damn thing.

Finally, sometiimes there are parts of games that are not too hard, just no damn fun and I want to get back to what is good about the game instead of laboriously trudging through bad game design. I consider underwater mazes the epitome of this and if I see one more in a game I...won't really do anyhting but gosh I sure hate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom