Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Peter Molyneux on innovation

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What, are you jealous you didn't have the idea of making "retarded games to millions of retards" first? Some people, I swear...

And I don't see any dumbing down in Diablo 3. In fact they are all like "Hey, let us add some random quests, that would be nifty. And maybe we can work on the story more than last time, and let the player show he can have an impact - if he wants to. Let's hire this wossname, Boyarski."

Hory said:
Oh, they didn't dumb down a genre, but even worse, they purposefully chose genres which have dumbing-down in their nature. They're selling retarded games to millions of retards and/or kids.

That doesn't make any sense. Any genre is suspect to dumbing down or growing up. There's no one that is more liable to be dumbed down than the other. Who would have guessed ten years ago that RPGs could be dumbed down to Oblivion's level?

You may not like MMOGs or hack n' slashers, but that's merely a matter of taste and not due to the game itself being a worthless piece of shit.
This "taste" isn't some random pick from a list of equally great choices. You can have the taste of uneducated, unintelligent, standards-lacking, monotone-living people, or the taste of art-appreciative, culturally-knowledgeable, challenge-pursuing, time-valuing individuals. From these options, I can say quite easily which one is a "worthless piece of shit".[/quote]

You're living in a black and white world. You can't just chalk off an entire genre to being idiotic and enjoyed only by the uneducated who have no standards. Hell, when you think about it, Diablo isn't much different from the early CRPGs. Yes, kids and fools are more apt to pick up Diablo than, say, Ultima 7, but that's no reason to write it off as being a worthless piece of shit.

You don't like Diablo and World of Warcraft. I don't like Diablo and World of Warcraft. I, however, am not getting fumed and bashing something just because it doesn't fit into my ideal of the Master RPG Race. Diablo isn't claiming to be anything more than what it is - a hack n' slash Action RPG.

Inziladun

Magister
Carrie Underwood said:
That doesn't make any sense. Any genre is suspect to dumbing down or growing up. There's no one that is more liable to be dumbed down than the other. Who would have guessed ten years ago that RPGs could be dumbed down to Oblivion's level?

Sure there are. For example Strategy games are more subject to being simplified for a wider appeal than say First Person Shooters(See Civ. Revolutions, heralded as the best strategy game evar). Whereas First Person shooters which started off on the simplest level possible (You're Wolfenstein, KILL THE NAZIS!) only had room to grow more complicated in order to compete with the competition.

J1M

Arcane
Inziladun said:
Carrie Underwood said:

Sure there are. For example Strategy games are more subject to being simplified for a wider appeal than say First Person Shooters(See Civ. Revolutions, heralded as the best strategy game evar). Whereas First Person shooters which started off on the simplest level possible (You're Wolfenstein, KILL THE NAZIS!) only had room to grow more complicated in order to compete with the competition.
This post reminds me of the codex I lurked at, years ago.

Hory

Erudite
Jasede said:
What, are you jealous you didn't have the idea of making "retarded games to millions of retards" first? Some people, I swear...
How old are you?
Carrie Underwood said:
Hack & Slashers ARE dumbed-down versions of classical RPGs and MMORPGs are dumbed-down MUDs.
You're living in a black and white world. You can't just chalk off an entire genre to being idiotic and enjoyed only by the uneducated who have no standards.
It's more like a scale which has at one end repetitiveness, linearity, limited interactivity, no requirements for intelligent input, etc. If most games in a genre belong to this extreme, I CAN chalk off the genre as idiotic.
Hell, when you think about it, Diablo isn't much different from the early CRPGs.
I agree. I don't think that many of those games were particularly great either. Most are themselves dumbed-down versions of P&P RPGs.
Yes, kids and fools are more apt to pick up Diablo than, say, Ultima 7, but that's no reason to write it off as being a worthless piece of shit.
Again, it depends on which standards you define "shitty" based on. It's definitely not shitty commercially, but it is shitty based on the scales mentioned above.
You don't like Diablo and World of Warcraft. I don't like Diablo and World of Warcraft. I, however, am not getting fumed and bashing something just because it doesn't fit into my ideal of the Master RPG Race.
I didn't make these replies because I don't like Diablo and WoW, but to argue with the idea that they're not dumbed down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom