Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Father Foreskin

Learned
1 million units sold is a tremendous success for an indie title to begin with. Even with half of that the game could be called a sales success. It all comes down to the "not fucking up" -part. Im still holding to the view that he has no shortage of components to fuck this up with. I wouldnt mind to be positively surprised for a change.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
One thing that really bothers me is the highest tier pledge having this stupid "design ur own character!!!" thing again, because that worked out well in all the other crowdfunded games that did it. Anyone stupid enough to blow 1.5k on a crowdfunder will probably come up with an equally stupid character. These haven leaders don't seem like characters you could completely avoid any kind of interaction with either.

Themadcow

Augur
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that either and in the grand scheme of things $1.5k is not a lot for this project.

On the plus side for this project - Gollop 'gets' turn based strategy as much as any other developer on the planet. The team have practiced their skills on the decent Chaos Reborn, and they've clearly done a lot of work on the game already, which is much more noticeable on the Eurogamer video.

On the downside, Gollop could do absolutely no wrong for a long time - Chaos (original) is probably one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played, period. Rebelstar (especially 2) had immense replayability even with only one map. X-com: Enemy Unknown was a masterpiece and still plays well (Open X-Com) now, and Laser Squad was also excellent in it's niche. However, the more complex the vision, the more challenging it's been to execute. X-Com Apocalypse was before it's time, but very much felt that way. Lords of Chaos was an attempt to make a fully fledged single player Chaos experience and just wasn't as much fun. Chaos Reborn is a good game, but quite frankly not as good as original Chaos because of the added 'stuff'.

Thing is, everything I've seen so far from the vision, to the gameplay snippets to the interviews has been a series of "Yes!", "YES!!!!" and mostly "FUCK YES!!!!" and the recent survey and poll results suggest that this game is being designed to be everything I want it to be. My hope is that with so many great ideas being built in, that even if it fails then it'll still be better than most safe AAA titles that don't try and innovate.

Father Foreskin

Learned
I need sedatives. I hate to be the shitposter who eats away other peoples enthusiasm but on the other hand i cant let go due the recent trainwrecks. I know turn-based squad-tactics games are rare and good ones happen very rarely. Its like getting raped by a snakeman from xcom, you hope its going to be great because its a rare experience and who knows how good it feels. Its all good until reality sets in and you figure out you just got your ass broken by a giant snake. Such a thing is this life we got, take your changes if you feel like it.

orcinator

Liturgist
My previous post made it rain retarded-buttons but i still cant in no fucking way configure my brain to accept that this game will be above average. Gollop made one of the best games ever made, but he is taking influences from wrong games, he is associating with wrong platform(fig) and he is making a type of game that lends itself to consoles-first approach if so chosen. This game is already falling into the asscrack between time-unit grognards and PLAZMAGUN SHOOTAN CINEMATIC TAKEDOWZ. Whatever you prefer, either Nuxcom or Xenonauts will likely do it better
I guess 4800 backers in less than 24h don't agree with you.

Awwww shit nigga, you just told him a thing he doesn't like is popular, fucking owned.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point?update=355#updates
Alien Concept Models
We would like to introduce to you Aleksandar Ignatov, a sculptor by training, who is producing some alien concepts for us modelled in Plasticine. The results are impressive, and actually provide an excellent foundation for building 3D computer models. Here is his rendition of a Hammerhead/human/squid mutation.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F9d7e29df0e6e6a0afc6f6e42d1bd57c83a704dde%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493214999

The Soldiers of Phoenix Point
Your soldier characters in Phoenix Point are distinct individuals and highly customizable with gear, clothing, tattoos, scars, hair and so on. Battle hardened fighters can gain many skills and abilities, but one interesting aspect of the game is that they can also suffer from the effects of battles over time, such as insanity, drug addiction (to various combat enhancing drugs) and permanent injuries. However, there will be technology that you can research to overcome these problems.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F49fc90e503d0b82756fba231c103b16b5898f434%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493215108

The Disciples of Anu
We will be featuring more detailed background on the human factions over the next few days. The mysterious cult of Anu is our first subject.

You can read a Phoenix Project analysis of this group here.

Our concept artist, Slavi, has produced many character concepts for the various followers and leaders of the cult. Here is a small example.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F0508d3a4dec3bcbae906d00fd8343dc0ef260e4d%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493218757

http://www.phoenixpoint.info/disciples-of-anu
Disciples of Anu
by Jonas Kyratzes

PHOENIX PROJECT
DoA-009b

Excerpt from a speech given by a Disciple of Anu acolyte at a nearby haven.

Hear me, good people of this haven! You know the world is an evil place; and you know it has been made evil by the corruption inside us. No, I do not speak of the mists and the changes in our bodies. We all know the corruption is much older than that; it is as old as the very beginning of Man.

Many of you will remember the world that was. In the Gospel of the Exalted, it says: "Man rose up from the apes, yearning for the divine presence in the skies; but he did not cast from him the vestments of the ape; and so his spirit remained impure, by reason of his impure body." And is this not true? Was the old world not riddled with injustice and sin? Were all good things not drowned in the mire of human nature? Did we not put our faith in science and systems, and were rewarded with suffering? Did we not turn for help to the spiritual men of the age, and were rewarded with despair?

For none would speak the one truth: there is no hope for the human race! For humans are incomplete; insufficiently evolved! We are still apes, yearning for the sky, but wallowing in filth! We cannot save ourselves - but we can be saved! For the Exalted has brought us hope, and faith that the devastation of the old is the birth of the new. Through the miracle of Communion, we can rid ourselves of the corruption in our flesh! All those who are worthy can be transformed, their bodies purified by the divine Spirit from beyond this world that speaks through the Exalted!

But beware! All those who cling to their corrupted flesh, to the imperfection of unevolved humanity, are damned! For even if they could turn back the tide and reclaim the world, their sins would follow them; and all that they built would be imperfect, and unjust, and their empires would crumble once again!

Join us, and together we will follow those who have left behind Man's corruption into a brighter tomorrow! Join us, and discover how to free yourself from sin! Join us, and you may learn the great secrets all others would keep from you!

Join us, for we will show you the path to the divine!

Preliminary analysis suggests that the Anu cult is a syncretic religion that arose in response to the global catastrophe, synthesizing elements of major Abrahamic religions with the beliefs of several pre-existing doomsday cults, some of which may have been previously investigated by the Phoenix Project. (It should be noted here that we have an index file that references an extended investigation into groups with apocalyptic beliefs matching certain patterns, but most of the actual files appear to have been lost at some point in the 2020s. If backups or hard copies exist, it would be tremendously useful to locate them.)

The worldview of Anu cult is deeply misanthropic, seeing human nature as inherently (biologically) corrupt and technological civilization as incapable of saving itself. They view the mist as both punishment for human hubris and as an opportunity for salvation. Although details are scarce so far, particularly due to the group's secretive, extremely hierarchical nature and obscurantist language, it would appear that they are attempting to deliberately mutate human beings using the effects of the mist, while somehow making sure human intelligence is maintained in the resulting creatures.

The process appears to be far from fail-safe, but failure can easily be explained within the group's theology as insufficient belief in the teachings of the Exalted. The latter appears to be their spiritual leader and representative of a higher spiritual entity that may be referred to as "the Dead God" - but further research is necessary before we can even begin to guess at the potential significance of any of this.

Our encounters with the disciples of Anu have been peaceful; so far the frenzy to which the priests will frequently drive their followers seems to be mainly directed inward, as an expression of self-negation and dedication to the cause of physical transcendence. Their relationship with Synedrion is neutral; reports suggest that Synedrion is dedicated to respecting religious freedom, but philosophically hostile to hierarchies and obscurantism, and thus conflicted in its response to the Anu cultists. Hostilities seem more likely to break out with the genetic purists of New Jericho, but so far the two groups seem to be keeping their distance.
PHOENIX PROJECT
DoA-001

This text is purported to be a copy of the Gospel of the Exalted, the founding holy text of the Disciples of Anu movement. It appears to be in widespread use, although its canonicity and authorship are unclear.

The Gospel of the Exalted

Chapter 1

Here follows the Revelation of the Divine Flesh, which the Dead God gave unto the Exalted to show unto his servants, that they might know the things that must shortly come to pass in the Heavens and the Earth.

Blessed are they who read, and they who hear the words of the prophecy, and keep the things that are written therein: for the time is at hand.

A great voice spoke to me from the heavens, saying: write down these things, that the peoples of the Earth might know the vision of the Dead God.

And I raised my eyes to see the voice that spake with me. And I saw a black sky, in which rose the Heaven of the Dead God, once lost among the stars but now finally upon us, as was promised long ago.

And there, upon his throne, I saw the Dead God, with seven sacred beasts before him; and at the feet of his throne was an eternal desolation.

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as one dead. And he laid his many hands upon me, saying, Fear not; I am the first and the last; and though I am dead, behold, I will be alive for evermore, and I have the keys of the universe.

Write therefore the things which are, and the things which shall come to pass hereafter.

Chapter 2

Behold, the seven sacred beasts each held a book, and each book was written with the blood of the Dead God. And the beasts opened the books, and I beheld the salvation and damnation of Man.

In the first book were written the crimes of Man; for Man rose up from the apes, yearning for the divine presence in the skies; but he did not cast from him the vestments of the ape; and so his spirit remained impure, by reason of his impure body.

And many were the crimes of Man and his corruption. For he made war upon himself, and upon his world; he was driven by lust and greed to evil doings of a shameful nature. There was no honour and no justice, but hunger and thirst were plentiful.

All this was written in the Book of Sins, and all who read it must weep.

Chapter 3

In the second book were written the acts of Man and their corruptions; for by the corruption of Man's body and soul, all his acts became abominations.

Here were written the names of all of Man's cities, and all his nations; and all were dust and memories. No glory could last, no empire endure, for within Man was the seed of destruction, and all his creations were imperfect.

Here too were written the names of all Man's kings and emperors, who believed themselves immortal; and they too were dust.

All this was written in the Book of Follies, and all who read it must despair.

Chapter 4

In the third book were written the lies told to Man by false prophets, for in seeking to escape his imperfection, Man turned to many deceivers.

Here were written all the names of all the faiths that had misled Man, promising salvation in the future world, yet offering nothing in the world of flesh. Yet Man knew in his heart that it was the flesh that was corrupt, and it was there that the healing must begin.

Many abhorrent and wicked things were written here, that had been told by false prophets, whose flesh was as corrupt as that of all men; and there was no hope in the world, but the hope that comes from above.

All this was written in the Book of Lies, and all who read it must rage.

Chapter 5

In the fourth book was written the promise of the Dead God, whose throne lies in the blackness of the sky; for it is he who offers Man salvation from the corruption of his body.

Behold: the nature of Man is not set in stone. All that is written may change, and Man is but the writing of Nature; and Nature is the writing of the Dead God. Man has rejected Nature and strayed from his path, corrupting all the world; but the Dead God is not of the world, and Man's corruption cannot touch him.

And all that is done in the name of the Dead God is protected from corruption; for such acts are not committed in the name of Man as he is, but in the name of Man as he shall become, pure of body and spirit.

All this was written in the Book of Hope, and all who read it must rejoice.

Chapter 6

In the fifth book was written a vision of the tribulations to come; for the sins of Man, his crimes and his deceits, must be cleansed from the Earth before the new beginning.

Here was written that a star shall fall upon the Earth in its last age, and the name of the star shall be Wormwood; and at the appointed time, the star shall turn the waters bitter, and many men will die.

And the sea shall become an abyss; and there shall go up a mist out of the depths, as deep as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air shall be darkened by reason of the mist.

And out of the mist shall came forth locusts upon the earth; and power shall be given them, as the scorpions of the earth have power, to poison and to torture Man for his sins.

And the kings of the earth, and the princes, and the chief captains, and the rich, and the strong, and every bondman and freeman, shall hide themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains; and they shall say to the mountains and to the rocks, fall on us, and hide us from our sins, and from the wrath of the Dead God.

But some shall raise their eyes and look at the Throne of the Dead God, and give thanks; and they shall be led to the Waters of Life. There they shall mortify the flesh, and embrace a new birth.

All this was written in the Book of Tribulations, and all who read it must repent.

Chapter 7

In the sixth book were written the ways of Man's advancement; for only through the Sacred Mysteries shall his flesh be transformed by the Waters of Life.

Here were written the secrets of Kenosis, of Transubstantiation, and the Wormwood Covenant; and here were revealed the powers of the Vessels, and the Divine Apparatus, and the Hallowed Machines.

But these are too great for all men to know; for Man's corruption is still strong, and there are many unbelievers. Therefore these mysteries will be entrusted to the Skeuophylax, and the Anagnostes, and others who have purged their human sin; and all who serve the Dead God faithfully shall join their ranks in time.

All this was written in the Book of Mysteries, and all who read it shall marvel.

Chapter 8

In the seventh book was written the secret of the Liturgy of the Divine Flesh; and when I read it, the sacred beast that held it commanded me to speak of it to no-one, until the End Days were upon us. Great was my delight at what I read, and great my sorrow that I could not share it; but be of good cheer, for the day approaches, and salvation will be ours.

Thus ended the revelation, and the voice in the sky fell silent. But my heart was filled with hate of this world and its corruption, and love for the world that is to come when the flesh and the spirit are purified. And all those who share this hate and this love are welcome in my Church, for it is the church of Man who is to be, and the God that shall be alive among us.

Behold, he comes with the clouds and the rain; he comes from the sea and the stars; and every eye shall see him, and all the tribes of the Earth shall mourn. But those who exult in his coming shall be uplifted.

PHOENIX PROJECT
DoA-002

As the Church is extremely secretive, it has been hard to determine the exact nature of its hierarchy. This is a rough sketch of the information so far assembled.

The leadership appears to consist of seven ranks (the number seven occurs frequently; it may be related to the number of holy books described in the Gospel of the Exalted).

The first representative of the Church to contact another organization is usually the Apostle to the Once-Born. This individual does not have the authority to make any decisions, but may pass on requests or demands from the higher-ups.

Next is the Keeper of the Threshold. This individual will contact an organization that has aroused the interest of the Church in some way. His or her purpose is to decide whether the organization is worth engaging with further.

Those who have proven themselves may then interact with the Voiceless Hierophant. As the name suggests, this individual does not have any political power as such, only relaying decisions, but the hierophant may introduce others to the very first of the Sacred Mysteries.

Should an alliance with the Church continue to prove useful, one may be put in touch with the Blind Legate. This is the first individual with actual authority, acting as a proper ambassador of the Church and capable of offering various deals.

Next is the Shadowed Hierarch, an individual of great influence in both local and global affairs. His role seems to be intentionally ambiguous, allowing him to interfere in many Church matters. This is not someone to be underestimated.

Only those who have been of great service to the Church may speak to the Synod of Yearning. Our reports suggest this is some manner of compound being consisting of more than one human. The melding of multiple humans into one entity appears to be considered a symbol of humanity's yearning for transcendence. The Synod has authority in all matters except spiritual doctrine.

The leader of the Church is a being we have very little information on. It appears to be called the Exalted, and to exhibit a highly advanced but surprisingly stable degree of mutation. It has absolute authority in all matters, but seems more concerned with prophecy than politics - although we may be misunderstanding the dynamics of the Church.

PHOENIX PROJECT
DoA-003

Some rough notes on the titles of various other members of the Church hierarchy. Due to the frequently chaotic nature of Disciples of Anu havens and religious events, this information is still sketchy.

The leader of a haven appears to be called an Exarch. He only has authority in local matters.

A Hiereus is both priest and warrior; an Archiereus is a higher rank within the same branch.

A Skeuophylax, or Keeper of the Vessels, appears to be a type of engineer in charge of the Hallowed Machines. This position is treated as sacred, and there are few Skeuophylakes.

An Anagnostes (sometimes called a Lector), or Reader, is something like a scientist, allowed to read the texts of the Sacred Mysteries. This position is also treated in religious terms.

A Taxiarch is a military leader, apparently the equivalent of a brigadier.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/25/15407662/phoenix-point-julian-gollop-fig

Phoenix Point's Fig campaign promises new take on classic X-COM formula
Julian Gollop may have created the worst possible climate change timeline

Phoenix Point is the next game from Julian Gollop, the co-creator of the classic X-COM: UFO Defense. His company, Snapshot Games, is launching a $500,000 crowdfunding campaign today on Fig. Gollop sat down with Polygon to talk about the inspiration for the game, and share new details on the ambitious, turn-based tactical strategy title expected by the end of 2018.

Phoenix Point is a post-apocalyptic game and the spiritual successor to Gollop’s branch of the X-COM franchise. While Firaxis Games XCOM series reboot took its inspiration from the 1994 original, Gollop’s game is more in line with his 1997 title called X-COM: Apocalypse. The final product will of course include turn-based tactical battles and a geoscape-style world map, but also multiple human factions and battles against gigantic, city-sized aliens.

Phoenix Point will also have a fiction all its own.

TERROR FROM THE DEEP
In Phoenix Point’s version of the future, Gollop tells us that the apocalypse began in the late 2020s. As the ice caps melted, the extraterrestrial Pandoravirus was released into the oceans where it immediately started attacking sea creatures of every shape and size. Before long, it had created hybrid monsters capable of crawling out onto the land. Humanity was caught off guard, and soon a deadly dark purple mist began creeping across the low-lying parts of the land.

It wasn’t just pollution. It was an airborne, microbial contaminant that also served as the network for the virus’ hive-mind. Those who couldn’t make it to higher ground were lost.

“Horrible mutations were going around,” Gollop said, “People were getting changed, while others just walked into the sea. The Pandoravirus’ genes had taken them over.”

The action in Phoenix Point begins in 2057. Various factions of humanity have been pressed ever higher into the mountains in order to escape from the microbial cloud. Players take on the role of a leader within the mysterious Phoenix Project.

“It's basically a cell-based organization,” Gollop said, “which is international and stretches back in history. Most of the members of this organization are not even aware of each other, but once activated come together at Phoenix Point. They try to establish a base there over a number of years, but they have absolutely no contact with any of the other cells of the Phoenix Project. You know vaguely what the Phoenix Project is about ... but your personnel are operating under only the most basic instructions: Come together at this point and await further orders. But those orders never come.”

Early in the game, players will recover a helicopter to use for scavenging and reconnaissance. As powerful as the alien contagion is, it’s so far been unable to fly. With the Pandoravirus in control of the oceans and the player in control of the sky, the game’s many tactical battles will be a fought on land.

Concept_01_Behemoth.jpg

Concept art for Phoenix Point’s land-walking behemoths.
Snapshot Games

BIGGER THAN A BREADBOX
Gollop tells Polygon that Phoenix Point will include combat against gargantuan, city-sized walking aliens.

“The land walkers are created by the aliens as a giant factory,” Gollop said, “producing energy, because the aliens are building something and you don't know what it is. Initially, they're just stomping across the land. They're just eating everything, and they're also used to attack human havens. So if they locate a haven, the land walker will head for it and they'll just try to eat everybody there and everything around it.

apocalypse.jpg

Cover art for X-COM: Apocalypse, released in 1997.
MicroProse

“So the way you have to take these out is, you will actually land a squad on their backs — on the top — and try and drill through their armored carapace and deploy some poison in there to disable it, to take it down. So you'll actually be fighting a mission on top of a giant, moving creature which will be trying to get rid of you.”

The scale of the creatures is reminiscent of the kaiju-like enemy called the Overspawn that harassed players in X-COM: Apocalypse, and Gollop tells us that they are a very conscious attempt to capture the intended feeling of that game.

X-COM: Apocalypse is, from my point of view, like an unfinished project,” Gollop said. “Or, at least, a project only half done in the way that I really wanted it to be done. We wanted to bring back a sense of scale to our monsters.”

But these behemoths aren’t the only wrinkle in Phoenix Point. There are also bus-sized boss monsters to deal with, like the crab queen.

PhoenixPoint_Screen_03.jpg

A screenshot from an early build of the Phoenix Point tactical game shows off the scale of the enemies players will be facing in combat.
Snapshot Games

The crab queen creates a number of tactical challenges for players. The most dangerous is the fact that it is capable of generating a microbial mist on its own. Troops who wander into it will be automatically detected, and alien enemies can be revived, buffed or otherwise driven into a deadly frenzy.

“It can also be used to cover,” Gollop said, “so the alien queen will actually start also producing larvae from its body which can run around and mutate directly into something hideous while you're trying to deal with it.”

Players will need to make the decision during combat about which of the queen’s systems it will attack, using an interface very similar to Fallout’s VATs system.

“When you're attacking a monster,” Gollop said, “you have to decide which body part you're aiming for. Are you trying to disable its legs? You trying to disable its head? Or you just trying to disable its mist generator? Or are you trying to disable the eggs inside which are hatching into these larvae? Or do you want to try and attack it under the belly?

PhoenixPoint_Screen_02.jpg

Phoenix Point’s location-based damage model will extend to smaller units as well.
Snapshot Games

“You can actually walk under this monster and shoot up directly underneath it which, of course, is quite dangerous.”

Players will have all sorts of weapons systems to bring to bear in the game’s tactical battles, including drones, flamethrowers, chemical weapons and run-of-the-mill explosives. But it will take time to figure out what tools work best against which enemies. Combat will always be a compromise between players’ individual style and the limited resources they have at their disposal.

CLEVER GIRL
In combat, Gollop says that the Pandoravirus will be learning and adapting. Working from the tremendous amount of genetic material it has at its disposal, it will begin changing the main-line troops it sends after players in tactical battles. The humanoid-sized aliens players will face on the ground, Gollop said, will actually evolve over time.

“The aliens themselves, although they have intelligence, don't know exactly how to deal with the human threat,” Gollop said. “They don't necessarily understand you as a threat very well. So what they do is, if they have one of their mutations that’s just not doing very well against your forces and is getting his ass kicked, it will mutate in some way.”

The Pandoravirus consumes biological material for fuel and, as it moves into different regions, it will begin to create different kinds of mutated soldiers. Based on their performance in combat, the virus will recombine features semi-intelligently, making use of both physical and organic weapons systems to create entirely new troops. How those mutations perform in battle against your soldiers will simulate the process of natural selection, meaning that the virus will become a more deadly adversary over time.

“It's like the hermit crab,” Gollop said. “It doesn't build a shell of its own. It goes out and finds one. It has to steal one from somewhere else. That occurs a lot in nature and we decided, well, if the aliens really wanted to do something, why would they just rely on tentacles and stuff? If they can find guns, why don't they try and use them? If the aliens raid your base, they may take stuff. They may steal some technology, even if you've managed to repel them, and you might face some of your own weapons in the next battle.”

HIT THE BOOKS
Unlike previous X-COM games that Gollop has worked on, not everything in the Phoenix Point research tree will come from the aliens. Many of the game’s more powerful weapon systems will come courtesy of the game’s other competing human factions. Players can try to ally with these other factions and get them to share their technologies, or they can take them by force.

“There will be three main factions in the game,” Gollop said. “They each have their own technology. It's like each of them has certain parts of the puzzle that could be put together to solve the alien problem. But, of course, they're jealously guarding their own secrets from each other.”

That also opens up the possibility of multiple resolutions to the alien threat, and multiple endings for the game.

“It also means that it's probably highly unlikely that in one campaign you will be able to get all the technology,” Gollop said. “In fact, you don't necessarily need it all because each of the three main factions does, in a way, have their own solution to the alien problem which you can use. You can literally opt for one of those three solutions that they're developing. They're all viable.”

The Fig platform allows for traditional, rewards-based funding as well as equity investment. The team at Snapshot Games is well-seasoned, Gollop said, and includes members from various Ubisoft and Crytek studios. Snapshot Games’ first title, Chaos Reborn, was also the result of a successful crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter and reviewed well with critics.

Gollop said that he’s excited to bring the opportunity to invest in his team’s vision to X-COM fans. He said that his studio has invested around $450,000 in the project already. In addition to the $500,000 ask, $300,000 of which will be open to equity investors, his team will need at least another $100,000 to $150,000.

“We've been pretty conservative about our projections,” Gollop said. “As far as we're concerned, we can do the game if we get the $500,000. You have to bear in mind that development costs in Bulgaria [where Snapshot is based] are about a third that in the U.S.”

If the Phoenix Point Fig campaign is successful, you can expect the finished game to come to Linux, Mac and Windows PC in late 2018.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
He's been implying (or outright stating) more of a 4X with tactical combat than a tactical combat game with strategy layer. I'll count that an evolution.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Not a clone, an evolution

Solomon is a cool guy. From his post release interviews and shown poc footage, you can tell he wanted to make a more proper x-com game, but had to scale down to sell more copies.

It's an alternate take, but it's more compromised and less 'holistic' than the original. Ok for what it is, which is consolebabbys first strategy game.

LW made it proper good, and Solomon basically admitted as much at one point iirc.

As for pp. gollop is cool, but I'm not sure. There's several red flags, and as I have come to understand it, a lot of the cool stuff in x-com came about from the publisher wanting a more complex game. Also fig.

Would have pledged out of sheer loyalty if it was on ks tho.

decaf

Learned
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point?update=355#updates
Alien Concept Models
We would like to introduce to you Aleksandar Ignatov, a sculptor by training, who is producing some alien concepts for us modelled in Plasticine. The results are impressive, and actually provide an excellent foundation for building 3D computer models. Here is his rendition of a Hammerhead/human/squid mutation.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F9d7e29df0e6e6a0afc6f6e42d1bd57c83a704dde%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493214999

This is great. :obviously:

The trailer was alright too. Multi-level destructible terrain is nice. Though the hitlocation UI is a little cluttered, geoscape more so. I liked the earth model, could use a bit of animated fog.

But 2+1AP. :negative:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I see fig coming as an argument quite a lot. Seriously, what is wrong with fig, how it is worse than ks? I seem to have missed some drama..
Haven't you heard? Fargo and Tim Schafer steals all the money they get on fig. No developer or customer on fig reported this, but it must be true if the Codex says it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
From the articles I managed to find out another cool thing this game will have. The available body parts you can target on enemy will be dependant on where you are standing in comparison with target. For some of them you will need to be on higher ground than your target, for some you will need to get under them (to shoot at belly of giant enemy).

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see fig coming as an argument quite a lot. Seriously, what is wrong with fig, how it is worse than ks? I seem to have missed some drama..
In certain Fig campaigns (iirc psychonauts?) there have been this fishy cross-financing option, meaning that the particular funds acquired by that project - be they pledges or investments - can be used to fund another product/project. You can check this by reading the respective SEC filings. I have no idea if this has happened, but the mere existence of this option makes one feel a bit uneasy, justifiably so, as in theory your money could be channeled to something entirely different.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Basically, Tim Schafer is on board. And people developed some resentment towards him for the last.. 4\5 years or so. Can't blame them too much. I'm one of them!

But the game seems really cool, and that beats my anti-Schafer sentiment.

Themadcow

Augur
75% reached. Should coast over the line easily, but how much clearly depends on the hype and publicity it gets outside of the hardcore fans. I've been punting the news around various 'non strategy/crpg' forums and it hasn't really seemed to generate as much enthusiasm as you'd expect. It didn't help that they didn't do much of a hype building job before the campaign.

Jake Solomon is alright, and JG has always been highly complimentary of Firaxis' reboot. Which is nice, because compared to x-com it was a steaming pile of ass puke. It did make a good phone/tablet game though.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any chance of your soldiers having limb and body damage like the enemies? Would be cool if you could lose limbs and replace them with advanced prosthetics

Apr 27, 2017 | 04:52 AM

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FUser%2Fprofile_image%2Fprofile_image%2F2017%2F04%2F19%2Fceffc4a9-c419-4d07-82ab-90763f2513ae

JulianG
DEVELOPER

Yes, that is planned (and already working in our internal prototype).

Will the weapons work like the original X-COM? For instance being able freely aim at non-enemies (e.g. walls), and proper bullet trajectories so that stray shots can hit other objects/creatures. The recent XCOMs basically omitted these aspects, and I think they were poorer for it.
In any case, I'm very excited for this, and thank you for the Linux support out of the gate!

Apr 26, 2017 | 03:17 PM

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FUser%2Fprofile_image%2Fprofile_image%2F2017%2F04%2F19%2Fceffc4a9-c419-4d07-82ab-90763f2513ae

JulianG
DEVELOPER

Yes.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Themadcow

Augur
God damn it Julian, stop teasing us with EXACTLY the right response to pretty much every question (well, apart from the TU one).

The first response helps meet one of my survey suggestions - to build in injuries and 'conditions' to soldiers (a-la-Darkest Dungeon) so that injuries would rarely result in death, but could result in a less effective limb - potentially reducing movement range or accuracy, but equally they might get through a tough mission that gives them a 'hardened' trait reducing chance of panic, or maybe a 'lone wolf' trait that means their stats go up the further they are away from their squad on the map.

So much potential in this game. It's like X-Com, Impossible Creatures, Alpha Centauri and HP Lovecraft got together in a cheap motel and shagged each others brains out until this emerged.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This looks like an XCOM clone, rather than X-COM successor, unfortunately. It's not like it's a bad thing, but I kinda expected different from Gollop.
But hey, we still have OpenXcom, and they are working on the TFTD support.

:timcain:

You can play TFTD already if you download the nighly.

I really hope the world is simulated in Phoenix Point, and not faked/boardgame like in all other games currently using this setting.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's a bit shady in several ways, but also it requires another registration. That's a lot of :effort:

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
At long last, finally another game with proper bullet trajectories. Both nuxcom and xenonauts are indeed just glorified boardgames.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This looks like an XCOM clone, rather than X-COM successor, unfortunately. It's not like it's a bad thing, but I kinda expected different from Gollop.
But hey, we still have OpenXcom, and they are working on the TFTD support.

:timcain:

You can play TFTD already if you download the nighly.

I really hope the world is simulated in Phoenix Point, and not faked/boardgame like in all other games currently using this setting.
Gollop said it will be simulated. Both aliens and factions will follow their agendas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom