Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Time played is not and never will be a valid excuse. If you play a game for 5 minutes and can't stand it that is a valid review, at least of the first five minutes. Disclosure is important for context though.

On the other hand, I've played games that I enjoyed up to a point and then eventually came to hate. If I reviewed D:OS2 after act one I'd give it high marks, but by the end I absolutely loathed it. I can't recall the reverse ever happening.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Memory leak still there. Game choppy and slow after 1 hour gameplay. Patch did nothing

How about posting that on obs forums.
As if it is that easy to get rid of it. PoE still have its leak,the obsidian programmers are pretty shit. Haven't seen a game from them that runs as intended. I take it that it is because of that one guy that says everything is impossible,MCA talked about him in the big thread.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Berath's Blessing like a New Game+ kind of thing? Does it affect monsters or only your statistics?

Basically it is new game+ but you don't have to finish the game to access it, instead you get "points" for completing achievements and then you use those points to unlock bonuses or modifiers.. there isn't much there but I think Josh said he wanted to add more things to it to give more choices to make the game more difficult iirc

Ulfhednar

Savant
That would be ideal given the strengths and weakness of the current team. Content distribution similar to The White March with Deadfire systems and art =:d1p:
Fire all the danger-hairs, keep the art team, and make the next Pillars installment "IWD 3". It would be a shame if the new multiclassing system didn't see another game.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Major Fixes

• [Mac/OSX] Resolved issue with loading into a black screen on Macs with Intel Integrated Graphics Cards.
  • Mouse clicks now properly resister for users using the Korean IME in windows.
  • Player Dispositions should change less drastically for small decisions.
  • Level Scaling now enables correctly when toggled on.
  • Players can now set or save cloned AI behaviors for all classes, and quick saves will not be lost when doing so.
  • Fixed multiple Pillars I imports that were importing the incorrect state.
  • Fixed a permissions issue that was blocking some players from loading saves.
  • Fixed a combat related memory leak (should improve some FPS on long play sessions).

Tekehu, I'm chasing Eothas to retreive my soul.

Pre-patch: Oh Watcher, you coy little minx, come over here.
After patch: Oh Watcher, that sounds serious. Also, I have an erection.

Shadenuat

Arcane
wait, level scaling is capped? why would they do this
So it won't look too unrealistic I guess, i.e. kobolds destroying a party that just fought a story content dragon.

Professional journalist needs only the name

And enough doritos and mountain dew for a night
You can easily just copy-write someone else review for example, add some of your own thoughts on lgbt/black history/narrative dissonance and slam slam slam and into production it goes

Jezal_k23

I like the scaling cap. It does solve several problems people were complaining about earlier. A dragon is still a dragon, a xaurip is still a xaurip with slight variations up or down in power.

Curratum

it depends on the make up of your crew iirc, mine are mostly men singing, so you must have more female crew than males.

how progressive of you

Ho, brother, I watched a recording of the shanties on Youtube, I don't own the game. It's not like I'm buying another Obsidian game before it hits 3.0, they break save games a few times and turn the ruleset on its head a few times.

Good to know that it reacts to your crew's composition, though!

Mazisky

Magister
Btw, i'm 45 hours in, did almost all side content, all Neketaka, explored all map, there's only critical path and few side quests left.

I think that with all 3 DLCs to fill the map more this game will be great and on par with BG2.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

Won't fix the issue that this tumblr user noted here. Which is that, cheking the bestiary at the end of the game, there are only a few enemies which are described as 15+ level.
There are only a few under 5 which makes sense since you leave the baby island at this level.
But there are like 80% in the 6-12 range.
Plus, he's kinda not really addressing the question here.

Add vithracks already. FFS. Or maybe there's a vithrack dungeon and I missed it entirely ?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So can we agree that this game is optimally played with sidekicks instead of companions? Except maybe the orlan pirate.

Totally agree. Figher, wizard, rogue, chanter... They cover everything depending on the player class.

Something I realized about the sidekicks: while companions are all special and professionals (militar, paladin, pirate, ondra touched, etc), sidekicks are just normal people. They are simple guys who said "fuck this shit, I hate my job. I will just be an adventure and travel the world" (Rekke could be something else, but we dont know too much). So much incline.

Sidekicks that should be companions: at least Rekke and Ydwin.

Malpercio

Arcane
How the fuck do you even steal anything in this game? Even with 8+ in stealth most NPCs in Neketaka are fucking ninjas.

wrong skill bro, the relevant one is sleight of hand
I have it at 7, and I still can't steal shit from both NPCs and the store. Unless I'm doing something wrong I get "You cannot pickpocket" and the items in the store are red unless all NPCs are far away.

Jezal_k23

So can we agree that this game is optimally played with sidekicks instead of companions? Except maybe the orlan pirate.

Totally agree. Figher, wizard, rogue, chanter... They cover everything depending on the player class.

Something I realized about the sidekicks: while companions are all special and professionals (militar, paladin, pirate, ondra touched, etc), sidekicks are just normal people. They are simple guys who said "fuck this shit, I hate my job. I will just be an adventure and travel the world" (Rekke could be something else, but we dont know too much). So much incline.

If someone is playing with upwards scaling on, the level 12 enemies should scale up if you're high level probably. But still, yeah, I guess this is a problem.

Matticus

Educated
I like the scaling cap. It does solve several problems people were complaining about earlier. A dragon is still a dragon, a xaurip is still a xaurip with slight variations up or down in power.

Right. You wouldn't want a repeat of the level scaled mountain lions from vanilla oblivion

In retrospect they should have substituted Ashley's narration for companion dialogue

Shadenuat

Arcane
All the money from VO especially narration should have went into content, cities, dungeons, encounters, high level monsters. Just keep it like BG2/previous game, only main story & greetings and some key dialogue.

Wolfe

Arbiter
This should enable upwards scaling mid-playthrough:

1. Download this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/2

2. Run the following commands in the Unity console:

import Game
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaleUpOnly = True
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaling = Game.GameData.LevelScalingOption.All

Also, the sea shanties are freaking awesome.

Parabalus

Arcane

I think that makes scaling pointless, if I'm level 20 what do I care if the Xaurip is level 6 or level 10?
If I didn't want him at level 20 with me I wouldn't have turned on scaling.

Parabalus

Arcane
Why do you want to fight level 20 melee only, no abilities trash?

Because they should get abilities as well?

Xaurip champions with Divine Immolation, Light of Pure Zeal, etc. at max level, that's the preferred result if you opt into scaling.

Trashos

Arcane
You are nitpicking, while I would hope that my main point is clear.

Is there even any encounter which doesn't die to out of sight cloudkill spam in vanilla Bg2

I can't count them because I don't use such tactics, but I 'd say the ambushes, whoever will go after you (some do), possibly Kangaxx, the early beholders in the Underdark etc. Anyway, I was mostly talking about the more advanced cheese.

Why would Jaheira get hit? She has Iron Skins, the number of enemies who will cast Breach or DM on that in unmodded can likely be counted on one hand.

The skins were gone, and then the 2 critical hits came. Don't remember why the skins were gone, maybe they timed out, maybe they were somehow breached, maybe they had been hit beforehand. It was a large battle in the Underdark, it was so traumatic that I still remember the place.

The original game has unnerfed cloak of mirroring :?.

I have discussed cloak of mirroring later, mostly that you are bound to face at least some beholders without any such protection in early playthroughs (before you know where everything is) or alternatively you need to do better than that if you want access to beholder-ridden places before Chapter 4. Sawyer's (and most modern) design goes to great length to avoid such scenarios so that muh feelings are not hurt. Anyway, cloak of mirroring is big cheese and should be avoided by serious players.

But my main point is that you can cheese or you can choose to not cheese and enjoy a game full of great fights. One can look up battle plans for each of BG2's battles in online forums (especially the older ones), the amount of creativity that has gone into them is insane. In PoE... eh, nah.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, all the web is talking about that Luca bug, but in my case
I seem to be unable to recruit him at all. Does this have anything to do with me siding with him against that Aumaua outside the building?
There was no option regarding recruitment when I spoke to him after the quest.

Matticus

Educated
All the money from VO especially narration should have went into content, cities, dungeons, encounters, high level monsters. Just keep it like BG2/previous game, only main story & greetings and some key dialogue.

There's an overwhelmingly good chance the publisher negotiations nixed that possibility. If it wasn't "entire game in VO" it would have been some equally useless back of the box feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom