Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
Oh and another complaint. How come they made the talking soulbound weapon a 1 handed sword? I was expecting Sawyer to go full role playing balance and make it some special weapon that transforms itself to the weapon type of your choosing, but if you want to wear it you're literally forced into a playstyle. You can't even equip it on a companion, it has to be equipped on the Watcher.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

I watched it, I'm disappointed he doesn't go into details and his only argument is "I didn't care". PoE is ripe for literary analysis because it demonstrates how potential can be squandered and how big ideas and concepts can become pretentious and painfully irrelevant without a knowledgeable and skillful hand behind them. It's much better for him to dissect PoE's story, rather than waste his time with the abortions that Bioware has been shitting out.

Trashos

Arcane
Romance eligibility "spoilers":

794df459c3a04b029d0c2c57d61fa7be.png

Anyone recruit Maia yet? How is she? (Without spoilers)

I made her ranger/wiz and she's pretty ok, wizard self buffs and pew pew.

Did anyone find any soulbound stuff yet? Where is the sword?
at least voluntary celibates have a good amount of representation in this game

Maybe they don't, someone wrote in the previous pages that Eder falls in love with the woman who is TRAPped inside Aloth. I hope he was joking, but with Obsidian you never know.

Pallegina has no pussy, so she has no choice.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also I was about to praise Megan Starks for Xoti, and this shit happens
even though I purposely decided not to pick the obvious romantic choice in the previous panel. What the fuck. There isn't even an option afterwards to push her away like an autist.

Ok so how exactly did we go from Josh „I don’t want any romances in Pillows 1“ Sawyer to this?

The lack of romances was one of the best things about the first game and now they somehow tried to outdo Mass Effect Andromeda? Someone please explain...

Sentinel

Arcane
even though I purposely decided not to pick the obvious romantic choice in the previous panel. What the fuck. There isn't even an option afterwards to push her away like an autist.

Ok so how exactly did we go from Josh „I don’t want any romances in Pillows 1“ Sawyer to this?

The lack of romances was one of the best things about the first game and now they somehow tried to outdo Mass Effect Andromeda? Someone please explain...
Sawyer, despite being firmly against player-sexual romances, decided to leave it up to each individual writer, instead of slamming the fist down on the table and making a sensible decision that would aid the character of each companion.

2house2fly

Magister
Companions are decline. Aside from Pirate orlan all of them are generic as fuck. Only pirate orlan feel like he is living person
While PoE1 had Durance and GM so far PoE2 has nothing, even pirate i mentioned so far isn't as good as those two.

Yep, for all the areas they tried to stretch and improve into, Obsidian seems like it finally lost it's "touch", something they excelled at. There is no character you meet and just listen in awe. The voice acting is also not there. I miss meeting Kaelyn the Dove and just blankly staring at the screen mesmerised by dialogue about strange worlds and odd celestial politics and philosophies delivered by hauntingly beautiful voice.

The last bastion for me was Durance. He just drawn you into ancient history and was well written and voiced. In this game, we don't really have anyone of that caliber. Instead we have bioware gender fluid romances now.

I'm confused. From reading the thread about PoE1 I had the impressioned Durance and GM were the most hated NPCs. Personally, I liked Durance, didn't care that much for GM. Did the 'Codex opinion on Durance shifted or is my memory failing me?
They found out who wrote him.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
So, what's the deal with crew morale? My crew probably has the most varied diet in all of nautical history but they're still pissed. What a weird an annoying mechanic.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Just cleared the sepulchers in the sacred stair district.
Looks like Sawyer ate the crow regarding pre-buffed enemy casters :smug:

Very cool dungeon btw. Did it at level 8, according to their stats, enemies were mostly level 10-12, making for some engaging fights.

Ulfhednar

Savant
How good are rogues? Are they useful in actual combat except pre-combat sneaking? Were thinking about making it my Watcher Rouge, but then it would be shitshow if he turned up to be useless.
You'll probably be happier multiclassing them with something tanky - they're fun, but squishy and probably require more micro than they are worth.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, what's the deal with crew morale? My crew probably has the most varied diet in all of nautical history but they're still pissed. What a weird an annoying mechanic.

They eat the food from left to right. So put the good stuff to the left.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have to say the performance hit I have in Neketaka is brutal! Running around with 23 FPS. What the hell Obsidian...

2house2fly

Magister

Sawyer, despite being firmly against player-sexual romances, decided to leave it up to each individual writer, instead of slamming the fist down on the table and making a sensible decision that would aid the character of each companion.
Do you believe the best way to get good writing out of a writer is to make them operate within very strict parameters?

Sentinel

Arcane

Do you believe the best way to get good writing out of a writer is to make them operate within very strict parameters?
Yes. Any character has strict unique parameters that it adheres to, so Sawyer shouldn't even have to tell them that.
But that question is irrelevant, because Obsidian's writers cannot do good writing.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

I watched it, I'm disappointed he doesn't go into details and his only argument is "I didn't care". PoE is ripe for literary analysis because it demonstrates how potential can be squandered and how big ideas and concepts can become pretentious and painfully irrelevant without a knowledgeable and skillful hand behind them. It's much better for him to dissect PoE's story, rather than waste his time with the abortions that Bioware has been shitting out.

I'm watching now and he spends the first 6 minutes talking about POE but says he doesn't remember anything about gods in it.. complains about the backer npcs.. offers little to no criticism or critique of the plot.. says RTWP doesn't service the story (but turn based would? what?) and then says PST is great and that rtwp serves the story of PST (how?) and Tyranny (wat?) then "btw haven't played deadfire but let me read a synopsis on a wiki and tell you why it is shit" ... then I look at his other videos and he has like 11 videos breaking down the story of MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA...
:what:

which codexer is this?

jf8350143

Liturgist
The relationship system is bugged, like I imagined, they confirmed it in a post on reddit.. That's why Maia and Tekehu's romance conversation triggers so fast. And probably why Xoti and Pallegina will start arguing with each other when you just recruited her 5 minutes ago.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The relationship system is bugged, like I imagined, they confirmed it in a post on reddit.. That's why Maia and Tekehu's romance conversation triggers so fast. And probably why Xoti and Pallegina will start arguing with each other when you just recruited her 5 minutes ago.

did they say whether or not this will be fixed in the tuesday patch?

jf8350143

Liturgist

did they say whether or not this will be fixed in the tuesday patch?

All they said is "After a little investigation, this appears to be a bug. Thank you for flagging this!".

So no idea. Probably depends on how hard it is to fix this.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The not voice acted dialogue in text quests during adventuring, from meeting monsters, storms, natural wonders and nautical creatures, to adressing your crew is best part of this game's writing I think. Not to mention you have 2-3 times the amount of lines and options there compared to voiced dialogue.

....aaand then I go ashore and jaheira sniper I just met hits on me right away. Thank you for reminding me you are still written by millenial fangirls gaem. Compared to this BG2 romances were almost tame and classic.

Fuck, that's a pretty quick slide from hard no-romances stance into scraping the barrel for every lost bioware fan aimlessly wandering in search for games after DA2/DAI/Andromeda fiasco. I wanna ask Sawyer what happened.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom