Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I know that. But sometimes I just leave the inventory open for example, while I'm picking up loot. Again, just like in DOS, where I could open and move the windows.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That's not how the Infinity Engine games or Pillars of Eternity works though. They've basically done the IE design except worse. If it was a different game that had smaller menus like Titan Quest or Div:OS then fine sure. But in these games you can't interact with the world and have the inventory open at the same time - might as well be fullscreen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not how the Infinity Engine games or Pillars of Eternity works though. They've basically done the IE design except worse. If it was a different game that had smaller menus like Titan Quest or Div:OS then fine sure. But in these games you can't interact with the world and have the inventory open at the same time - might as well be fullscreen.

I would say that there is still some value in not making the UIs full screen, even if you can't interact with the world underneath them when they're open. It contextualizes what you're doing in the UI against the world around you. "I'm equipping this sword on my character because of this enemy I see now." Kind of a psychological thing - it's easier to keep what's going on in the world in mind when you can see some of it, whereas when you get transported into an entirely new screen every time you flip through your UI screens it's like "Wait, what was I doing? Where was I?". (That's a feeling I often get from console game-style fullscreen UIs.)

Besides that, it also has some aesthetic value, but that's a matter of taste.

tl;dr Make it configurable in the options menu.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
bfCKvOu.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

I would say that there is still some value in not making the UIs full screen, even if you can't interact with the world underneath them when they're open. It contextualizes what you're doing in the UI against the world around you. "I'm equipping this sword on my character because of this enemy I see now." Kind of a psychological thing - it's easier to keep what's going on in the world in mind when you can see some of it, whereas when you get transported into an entirely new screen every time you flip through your UI screens it's like "Wait, what was I doing? Where was I?". (That's a feeling I often get from console game-style fullscreen UIs.)

You can't use the inventory in combat and the UI takes up the full center portion of the screen so you can't see anything relevant in the game world. Your statement here applies to other games that don't do this - Diablo 3, Titan Quest, Div:OS - sure, yep fine.

In PE it's the IE style inventory ... just not full screen because minimalist.

tl;dr Make it configurable in the options menu.

Yes.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Looking at my shelf I can't help but be reminded how banal shit boring ''Pillars of Eternity'' is for a title.

Baldur's Gate
Planescape Torment
Icewind Dale

Pillars of Eternity ~~ Standing out like the ugly duckling.

Can I blame Sawyer for that?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Edited sorry it's still such a similar bore I confused the 2.

Also holy shit you fucking ninja.

Eternity and Pillars are mundane and the combination is just as bland and banal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Eternity and Pillars are mundane and the combination is just as bland and banal.

"Pillars" is a very non-"epic"/"extreem" word. They took a risk on a very nerdy sounding name. Not banal at all.

"Gate", on the other hand, is pretty common, with lots of action-popamole word associations - demons from the GATES of hell, enemies at the GATES, etc.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter

"Pillars" is a very non-"epic"/"extreem" word.

Thank god that's the least we can expect. Still doesn't compare to the 3 titles I mentioned, and their expansions don't sound as bad either.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

"Pillars" is a very non-"epic"/"extreem" word.

Thank god that's the least we can expect. Still doesn't compare to the 3 titles I mentioned, and their expansions don't sound as bad either.

Well, if you're not used to it by now then I don't know what to say. It sounds fine and cool to me. Pillars of Eternity sounds both classy and appropriately geeky, while just "Pillars" has a nice ring to it when you're talking about it more casually. "Hey Sensuki, let's talk about Pillars for a sec". You can't really do that with Baldur's Gate. "Let's talk about Baldurs". Yeah, no.

Sensuki

Arcane
Except you say BG :P

At least Pillars of Eternity rolls off the tongue fairly easy (for a native English speaker anyway). When that french guy says it it doesn't sound as smooth - pilleurs of aeternitIH

I say PE for Pillars of Eternity because fuck you, Path of Exile was first.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The biggest problem with the name is the acronym clash with Path of Exile

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Pillars of Eternity sounds both classy and appropriately geeky,

It's a reference to a random magical plot device that's not particularly original in itself.

Icewind Dale, now that's something that sounded appropriately outlandish when I first heard it.

Baldur's Gate and it's logo too.

Pillars' logo is just as Dull as it's title.

Athelas

Arcane
What's so great about Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale? They're just names of places, which in the case of the former, actually have little to do with the games themselves. Sure, they sound good, but that has to do with their phonetics, not any particular sort of creativity.

PoE couldn't really do the same thing anyway since it's not based on an established universe like the Forgotten Realms (and more generally D&D).

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
The names of the place themselves are creative. Bonus that they're pertinent because they're the place you're playing in. Because they're outlandish. You never heard these names anywhere else and that's a good start to conjure up a foreign world.

Eternity is a common occurrence in games titles. Pillars in itself would have been fine if it was tagged with something more original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom