Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #72: Release date, stretch goals cancelled, plus a ton of art

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So do the Godlikes potentially look like almost any kind of furry fantasy you can imagine?

Yes, provided the only things you can imagine are: a) girl with horns, b) girls with hair feathers, c) girl with deathface.

J1M

Arcane
When they say no more stretch goals are they talking about the things that kickstarter backers already paid for or something else?

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
CyberWhale said:
Beksiński's influence is pretty obvious.

HAHAHA, BEKSINSKI???
Sorry, but even assuming that Obsidian's art department could be inspired by him is ridiculous.

Beksinski is a master artist;

arep2.jpg

THIS on the other hand looks like some demonic race from a MMORPG.

OBSHITIAN.jpg

Obsidian's art is bad generic fantasy, and the godlike-thing looks straight out of a cheap furry fan fiction. I would personally be ashamed to release something like that.

pe-godlike-portraits-580.jpg

POE is just very high quality game art that money can buy VS a artist that bleeds passion and emotion into his artwork.
A non contest. One seeks to do a job vs one who seeks something beyond.

The master artist seeks to capture within his work the unseen qualities that resonate within the observer.

What I got from this is that I should do acid and look at Beksinski paintings.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
I think the idea of the 14-level dungeon is quite silly. Unless the dungeon has a different "theme" and visual look/tileset every few levels, it will just get boring.

Johannes

Arcane
I think the idea of the 14-level dungeon is quite silly. Unless the dungeon has a different "theme" and visual look/tileset every few levels, it will just get boring.
Apparently they will strive to make it something akin to Watcher's Keep. Though with that high level count probably the levels will be much smaller individually than that.

Apexeon

Arcane
CyberWhale said:
Beksiński's influence is pretty obvious.

HAHAHA, BEKSINSKI???
Sorry, but even assuming that Obsidian's art department could be inspired by him is ridiculous.

Beksinski is a master artist;

arep2.jpg

THIS on the other hand looks like some demonic race from a MMORPG.

OBSHITIAN.jpg

Obsidian's art is bad generic fantasy, and the godlike-thing looks straight out of a cheap furry fan fiction. I would personally be ashamed to release something like that.

pe-godlike-portraits-580.jpg

POE is just very high quality game art that money can buy VS a artist that bleeds passion and emotion into his artwork.
A non contest. One seeks to do a job vs one who seeks something beyond.

The master artist seeks to capture within his work the unseen qualities that resonate within the observer.

What I got from this is that I should do acid and look at Beksinski paintings.

**** I am using cheap wine.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This includes inn/tavern designs, adventurer party designs, portraits, NPCs, and items/weapons, so make sure you get your idea in before the deadline!
Has the Codex shit been sorted? I don't remember what was agreed upon, I recall brothel, inn or adventure party being talked about, what was decided in the end? And what happened to all the posts in the PoE subforum, or is it still there and I can't see it for some reason?
Infinitron DarkUnderlord ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This includes inn/tavern designs, adventurer party designs, portraits, NPCs, and items/weapons, so make sure you get your idea in before the deadline!
Has the Codex shit been sorted? I don't remember what was agreed upon, I recall brothel, inn or adventure party being talked about, what was decided in the end? And what happened to all the posts in the PoE subforum, or is it still there and I can't see it for some reason?
Infinitron DarkUnderlord ?

Those posts have been merged into the staff forums.

This was posted last May:

Josh Sawyer said:
Dear DarkUnderlord,

We can probably accommodate a lot of the individual elements in your e-mail. As far as propriety goes with regard to epic memery and inside refs For the Win, this is the general rule: if an uniformed person is pulled out of the game and/or significantly confused by what they're seeing, it's probably too far. If it's a name or description that otherwise mostly fits in the world and doesn't feel like it's endlessly winking and nudging at you, it should be fine. The bottom line is that inside references should be funny to the group making them and should fly unnoticed over the heads of the people outside of that group. We won't wind up using written lines verbatim, but if you want the group to make a joke about not scaling to level (for example) or other things, I'm confident we can work something out.

As far as the overall feeling of how/where players will encounter the Club, the adventuring companies are intended to be party-destroyers -- difficult to very difficult encounters. We probably won't figure out where to put the adventuring companies for a "while" (months), but they're intended to be encounters that are more likely than not to end in a battle royale. They may be in a dungeon, in a city, or out in the world, and their items may be on them, in a hideout, or other places as you (all) and we think are appropriate.

Sometime after the backer site goes up, you'll be getting surveys to fill out for the characters, items, etc. With that will (hopefully) be additional world/lore/game information that will help you figure out how to frame your party and the basics of designing items... and everything else you bought. It's probably going to be a while before we get to that point (those waterfalls don't make themselves), but we wanted to let you know. The Codex raised a huge amount of money for the project. We're very appreciative and we want to make sure you feel it was worthwhile.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again.

- Josh
When we have the survey, I'll re-open a forum for the Race Traitors and discuss it in there.

Athelas

Arcane
The cow ears AND goat horns is a bit too much. They sorta drown each other out.

I like the art though. There's only so much you can do with generic fantasy, and they're doing alright with it. Once all the Kickstarter RPG's are released, it will be interesting to see if the old adage 'generic fantasy sells' still applies.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
I don't mind. The less mundane normality the better even if some need constant stupid "new" things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom