Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't expect you to be persuadable here, but just for the record, no one is saying that combat in PS:T doesn't matter, and no one is saying the combat is good--at least no one here.

I didn't get the resurrect ability on my first playthrough, so I know exactly how much of a pain in the ass it is to keep your companions alive. Although, honestly, this is equally true in Baldur's Gate as clerics don't get raise dead until level 9, above the level cap even with TotSC, and raise dead scrolls/services are very expensive. God forbid a companion gets petrified in a random encounter when you don't have a stone to flesh scroll. I say so what, your companions dying should be a pain in the ass.

You can approach PS:T like it's a dungeon crawler, I just don't know why anyone would want to. Sure, it's D&D, but it's also Planescape and most of it takes place in Sigil; this is an awesome setting for combat light, intrigue/investigation heavy adventures as long as you have a good dungeon master.

Look, when a game has 600,000 words of text and very little combat compared to the other IE titles (come on, it has a lot less than BG or IWD, probably by an order of magnitude--I just played it again a few months ago and I don't know how anyone could think the amount of fighting is at all comparable), when its only real dungeon mocks the very idea of dungeon crawling, you tell me what itch they were trying to scratch. I'm sure MCA would have loved for PS:T to have great combat; however, it clearly was a much lower priority than the dialogue and story elements. I don't need da Vinci to tell me that the Mona Lisa is a painting of a woman, that's what my eyes are for.

You can even get the game over screen by killing her too early (no warning of this).

It's shit design.

This, especially, is great design. Your dialogue options have more weight than anything you do in combat, which makes sense given that TNO is immortal. If you can't get a game over from dying, how else are you going to get one aside from making bad choices? Why shouldn't Torment punish you for killing the person you're trying to get information from? Also, I have no sympathy for anyone who goes into an encounter that's been built up for hours without saving their game.

More broadly on Ravel, that interaction is one of the best examples of consequence heavy dialogue in the genre. There is a tactical or puzzle-like component to the conversation. I felt more under the gun while talking to her than I had at any point in any other RPG, at least in 1999. If I wanted to argue that choosing dialogue options can be gameplay--a battle of wits--Ravel would be exhibit A.

Incidentally, this is one thing PS:T does better than Fallout, though The Master interaction comes close. The companions are better (not hard to beat Ian and Tycho and Katja), and there's a good case to be made that PS:T has a better story. Arguably it has a better setting, although that's very much a matter of taste. Still, calling PS:T worse than Fallout is no criticism; it's true of every other game ever made. When people say PS:T is the better RPG, it just means they value the story and companions over everything else. De gustibus non est disputandum.

But if you're the kind of person who prefers to skip RPG dialogue to get to the combat, of course you're not going to appreciate something like Ravel, just as a storyfag wouldn't have much patience for JA2. Maybe this is why I'm still awake at 7am; you've raised the ire of my inner perspectivist. I dislike champagne, this does not mean that a $1,000 bottle of Veuve Clicquot is ridiculously overrated.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't know that BIS weren't trying to scratch that itch. Maybe they ran out of money/time in dev-cycle. PS:T wasn't designed from the outset to have shit combat. I can't cite where Avellone said that himself but no citations are forthcoming where he is on the record as saying the contrary.
Ancient interview https://web.archive.org/web/20080801091607/http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art39332.asp

Lisa: If you were making Planescape: Torment right now, are there things you would do differently from the original release?

Chris: Probably start off with more combat - the beginning is very slow and exposition-heavy, and I don't think that helps get the player into the mystery of his character. This is something I tried to correct in the future opening levels of Black Isle games (notably IWD2, where you're in trouble the moment you step off the boat in Targos). Also, I would work more extensively in creating more dungeon and exploration areas, and do another pass on the combat mechanics in the game - the story and quest structure in the game ended up becoming the primary focus of design, and I think the game suffered as a whole when it came to combat.

I enjoyed the mortuary more for not being combat heavy.

I think all the strange things you could encounter by examining/"talking" to the zombies set the tone well for the rest of the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I think all the strange things you could encounter by examining/"talking" to the zombies set the tone well for the rest of the game.

Sure, but Chris was crushed by how it put so many people off it (including infamous game critic Yahtzee, who's still somehow single-handedly keeping the Escapist alive).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sure, but Chris was crushed by how it put so many people off it (including infamous game critic Yahtzee, who's still somehow single-handedly keeping the Escapist alive).

That's interesting, never knew that Yahtzee had tried to play PST.

I know he tends to find RPGs not to his taste, so can't say the result surprises me.

Raziel

Educated
tbIY87Y.jpg

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
P:ST is a good game. No point in trying to convince you otherwise. My only takeaway from this thread: Lilura is a contrarian that likes attention.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Dak'kon is the only companion that can get regen, and, like I said in the write-up, it's only Kagain-lvl regen.
Ignus also regenerates, slowly. Just like Dakkon with 20 con it's only useful out of combat. A bit obscure, since there are better uses for their lvl 2 spell slots, but you can use them to heal party members by casting blood bridge.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Ingress' Teeth are fare more important (upgradable) and easy accessible (you can get them right out of the mortuary) than Nodrom's crossbow :roll:
Anyway it is such an arbitrary list; you should have called it "weapons I love!"

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
12th level Ingress' Teeth are definitely contender for their on-hit paralysis.

But Crom is post-Underdark craft and its 25 str is overrated. Belm is better because high Str is attainable by other means. There are many weapons > Crom.

How does Daystar's 1/day >1000 dmg Sunray (undead-only) make it a contender? Not even IMoD and Azuredge are contenders and they can attempt on-hit disruption all day, everyday, at 10 ApR.

Ilbratha is a Top 10 contender for 1/day Mirror Image? Tell me you know something about this weapon that I don't.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hey Lil, in the latest Avellone interview he mentions that he spread himself too thin on Torment, and that it would have benefited from having a lead designer who wasn't him (no doubt to focus on combat).

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Come on, either Fallout does not belong on this list, or Deus Ex and JA2 don’t belong (there was a lot of talking in Fallout!).

No.
Fallout 1 had very to the point writing, no way you could describe it as having "lot of talking". Maybe a lot of "going back and forth between point A and point B" while doing quests because some NPCs played ping pong with your character. NPCs didn't spend their time talking about the world and their past while paragraphs upon paragraphs of description of their mood and the environment surrounding you slapped you in the face. Outside of specific C&Cy sequences, your dialogue options were limited and didn't give you the ability to pick among 50 shades of moodiness. It mostly stuck to giving you the option to ask for directions, what's going on around the place, and hey it looks like I might help with your problem (quest acquired).
They even invested in the art to make those talking heads so that they could express the emotion and atmosphere around key NPCs without writing paragraphs of prose about how they're now angrily scowling at you for your misdeeds.

The Brotherhood of Steel base is the most talky area of the entire game and it probably has less lines of dialogue with all its npc combined than the morgue tutorial of PST. Despite not being particularly combat heavy of a game, and having a lot of interactivity coming from dialogue, Fallout is a lot less talkative and a lot more blunt than something like BG2 too. Fallout is the ideal of a well balanced RPG: A little combat there, a little dialogue there, a little exploration then and rince and repeat. If its combat had more depth to it, it would simply be the perfect RPG.

As for PST.. it's a visual novel that mistakenly took on combat gameplay and implemented it horribly.
3Sx20AV.jpg

TTON doubled down on that sort of descriptive fluff and it explains partly why it was received so badly because the niche of absolute storyfags in RPG circles isn't as big as the vocal true believers want the rest of the world to think.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Current Codex would take issue with the redundant description of her hair and gown. The actions are fine though, since that saves on cinematics.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Come on, either Fallout does not belong on this list, or Deus Ex and JA2 don’t belong (there was a lot of talking in Fallout!).

No.
Fallout 1 had very to the point writing, no way you could describe it as having "lot of talking". Maybe a lot of "going back and forth between point A and point B" while doing quests because some NPCs played ping pong with your character. NPCs didn't spend their time talking about the world and their past while paragraphs upon paragraphs of description of their mood and the environment surrounding you slapped you in the face. Outside of specific C&Cy sequences, your dialogue options were limited and didn't give you the ability to pick among 50 shades of moodiness. It mostly stuck to giving you the option to ask for directions, what's going on around the place, and hey it looks like I might help with your problem (quest acquired).
They even invested in the art to make those talking heads so that they could express the emotion and atmosphere around key NPCs without writing paragraphs of prose about how they're now angrily scowling at you for your misdeeds.

Ooookay... No one is saying that PS:T is a balanced RPG or that Fallout comes anywhere near its levels of text.

To clarify: compared to Deus Ex or especially Jagged Alliance 2 (the other two games Lilura lists as balanced RPGs), Fallout has a lot of dialogue relative to other forms of gameplay. This should be self evident and it’s not a criticism of Fallout, nor is it really a criticism of Deus Ex or JA2, as they’re trying to do something very different.

I think it’s insane that Lilura cites Deus Ex and Jagged Alliance 2 as balanced RPGs, though, which is why they don’t belong on the same list (they are pretty combat : one of these things is not like the other. But having a much higher dialogue to combat ratio than JA2, a game that’s mostly combat, is a pretty low bar. A runway model is fatter than a malnourished POW, but that doesn’t make her obese.

On the spectrum of combatfag to storyfag, JA2 is on one end, PS:T is on the other end, and Fallout is right in the middle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would consider Deus Ex balanced in that it doesn't have good combat or stealth or writing but when combined with the good level design it's all good enough to make something exceptional.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bit concerned that you're reduced to doing listicles. :\ Is it a time/energy thing?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Bit concerned that you're reduced to doing listicles. :\ Is it a time/energy thing?

Partly. I personally need a few days to myself, without interruptions, in order to write Parts to retrospectives.

It's also because I've run through all IEs recently... it's a good time to do a couple of rankings while things are fresh in my mind and they're all installed.

These "listicles" are things I would have enjoyed reading myself, too. On the train, on the bus. Maybe it's a mistake, but I don't mind.

PoE doesn't fall into my treatment range.

Sykar

Arcane
...Fallout is the ideal of a well balanced RPG: A little combat there, a little dialogue there, a little exploration then and rince and repeat. If its combat had more depth to it, it would simply be the perfect RPG.

Perfect? Not even close. Combat was utter garbage once you get past the graphical gratification from overly dramatic death animations. A little bit of more depth would have changed nothing. Graphics? Oh boy were they plain and aged horribly compared to PS:T. Companions? An afterthought, at best. Story? Nothing special, though well executed but not better than PS:T.

DND is not about combat.

It's about many things, including combat. There can be no D&D without combat. There can be role-playing without combat, but not D&D.

I have had entire sessions with pure role play and no dice roll in both D&D 2nd edition and 3rd. /shrug
People need to learn that any kind of role-playing system give you a framework of guidelines, not something you have to adhere to like a slave has to adhere to boot licking his master's feet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom