Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment questions *SPOILERS*

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I just beat it last night, but I still have a lot of unanswered questions.

Why doesn't Nameless One lose his memories when he dies in the game?
How did Morte and Dakkon survive the Fortress? What was the deal with that other companion whose name started with an X? I just heard that name mentioned briefly once. And how come neither Morte or Dakkon said anything about the fortress until right before Nameless returns to it? And how did the Practical Incarnation escape the fortress/wake up in the Mortuary as the game begins?
What lie did Morte tell that killed Nameless One? How did Morte become a floating skull?
This is probably deliberately kept unknown, but does anyone know what things the original incranation did that made him deserve his fate or what made him change? Did he really think he could change his fate after death?
Why does Nameless One think he'll meet his friends again?
Why does Ignus obey Nameless and Transcendent?
How did Vhailor turn into a ghost/force of justice or whatever? How did he know that Namless caused others deaths when he died, when even Nameless didn't know that?
Did Transcendent just want to live forever isolated in that fortress with shadows? That's one really lame life.
Possibly stupid, but why does Nameless speak in all caps when he gains his mortality? Shouldn't that just make him mortal and normal again?
Another possibly stupid question, but why does Nameless come back to life if the shadows in the fortress kill him, but if the Paranoid incarnation kills him he's permanently incapacitated? And how does Nameless reappear in a different spot if he dies while seperated from his companions?
What sucks Nameless out of the Fortress at the end?

bryce777

Erudite
TheGreatGodPan said:
I just beat it last night, but I still have a lot of unanswered questions.

The more heinous the death, the more memory loss. Effectively, when the shadows come for you, that's when it will be a more final death.

How did Morte and Dakkon survive the Fortress? What was the deal with that other companion whose name started with an X? I just heard that name mentioned briefly once.

You can find this guy in the morgue, actually.

And how come neither Morte or Dakkon said anything about the fortress until right before Nameless returns to it?

And how did the Practical Incarnation escape the fortress/wake up in the Mortuary as the game begins?
He got killed before actually going, I thought. I could be wrong. He dies in that alley, though, if you recall. I think it may be something like somehow that chick sacrificed ehrself to bring him back. I frget how, but somehow she sacrificed herself.

Morte did NOT want to return to the fortress, and neither did dakkon, who was sworn to obey the nameless one.

What lie did Morte tell that killed Nameless One?

Once he was pulled off the pillar, he lost his powers, which screwed tno, but also perhaps he is the one who got tno into the bloodwar? Hard to say

How did Morte become a floating skull?

By lying and having it kill someone, as stated in the game.

This is probably deliberately kept unknown, but does anyone know what things the original incranation did that made him deserve his fate or what made him change? Did he really think he could change his fate after death?
The stuff he did in the blood war such as sacrificing his companions.

I think he wanted to avoid fate more than anything, by not dying. It didn't work out so hot but at the end the point is that he repents of it all and accepts his fate.

Why does Nameless One think he'll meet his friends again?
Because they will come for him.

Why does Ignus obey Nameless and Transcendent?
tno was his master when ignacious was an apprentice

How did Vhailor turn into a ghost/force of justice or whatever?
Because tno did a number on him originally. I think.

How did he know that Namless caused others deaths when he died, when even Nameless didn't know that?
Just part of his magic. Also, he met him before.

Did Transcendent just want to live forever isolated in that fortress with shadows? That's one really lame life.
Possibly stupid, but why does Nameless speak in all caps when he gains his mortality? Shouldn't that just make him mortal and normal again?
Another possibly stupid question, but why does Nameless come back to life if the shadows in the fortress kill him, but if the Paranoid incarnation kills him he's permanently incapacitated?
Because then the paranoid dude takes over. That aspect of tno is done.

And how does Nameless reappear in a different spot if he dies while seperated from his companions?
It's just a game, dude.

It's his fulfillment of the oath to fight in the blood war.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Vhailor hunted TNO for a long time as a living Mercykiller, but eventually TNO managed to trick and imprison him, and supposedly, upon dying, Vhailor's unfulfilled desire for justice, turned him into a freaky justice-ghost. I think it's also mentioned that Vhailor could provide a final death for TNO, so he kept him there as a sort of insurance.

My memory is not up to speed though. Where's Chris Avellone when you need him, eh? :P

bryce777

Erudite
Rat Keeng said:
Vhailor hunted TNO for a long time as a living Mercykiller, but eventually TNO managed to trick and imprison him, and supposedly, upon dying, Vhailor's unfulfilled desire for justice, turned him into a freaky justice-ghost. I think it's also mentioned that Vhailor could provide a final death for TNO, so he kept him there as a sort of insurance.

My memory is not up to speed though. Where's Chris Avellone when you need him, eh? :P

Yeah, that's right. I think paranoid originally trapped him for kicks, and that later practical came and tricked him into obeying or something.

aboyd

Liturgist
bryce777 said:
TheGreatGodPan said:
The more heinous the death, the more memory loss. Effectively, when the shadows come for you, that's when it will be a more final death.
That's not how the game itself hints toward an answer. The game has dialogue implying that your mortality is needed to hold on to memories, and as TNO wandered farther & farther from his mortality, he lost more & more of his memories. But as the current version of TNO is driving toward answers, and hot on the trail of his mortality, he memory is growing stronger. I think there is even a dialogue option that hints at that in the endgame -- TNO basically says that the fortress is weakening, and TNO's memory is growing stronger the closer he gets to merging with his mortality.

In fact, it's really quite good, because it drives home some ambiguity about the endgame. TNO wants to get back his mortality, but does he really want to remember everything he has done? Ravel (or Mebbeth) says at one point, "there are some memories you would do well to forget" (or something like that). So as TNO drives drives toward his mortality, you almost have to wonder what kind of trepidation might come with that.

-T

Well, pretty much just IMO here, but that's a given.

TheGreatGodPan said:
And how did the Practical Incarnation escape the fortress/wake up in the Mortuary as the game begins?

I'm pretty sure it was Deionarra. That was the reason Practical set her up.

He wanted to trap Nameless in the Fortress permanently, so he'd have free reign and be all uber and stuff. He was just biding his time.

Possibly stupid, but why does Nameless speak in all caps when he gains his mortality?

He has the real ultimate power then.

Shouldn't that just make him mortal and normal again?

He pretty well accepted his fate at that point. He was only human to begin and time finally caught up with him.

Another possibly stupid question, but why does Nameless come back to life if the shadows in the fortress kill him, but if the Paranoid incarnation kills him he's permanently incapacitated?

I'm a bit curious since I never died there, how many times did you die? There was a hint that each time you died one of your companions died in your place. Did see fewer of them killed by TTO afterwards? Did you die more than 5 times?

I figured he either willed it himself or it was cosmic justice coming back.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The last bit: it was cosmic justice. He'd killed thousands upon thousands of people, murdered innocent life and all that and took their souls to fill his Fortress of Despair.

Once he came back to life, and having some really strange circumstances about it, he had to answer for that. All those shadows were set free, no longer bound to the Fortress, and he has to subsequently pay for all the lives he took in all of the 'lives' he lived. It really brings new meaning to the term "to die a thousand deaths" when he gets pulled into hell.

A sequel would have never worked for the game. All of his party mates were bound to him, most of them unwillingly, so it's not as if Dak'kon or Vhailor would have returned for him. Regaining his life would have been enough to break Dak'kon's tie to him (as it was done in a former life), and being subsequently punished for it would have freed Vhailor of his duty to punish TNO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom