Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PlatinumGames Got A New JRPG - Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link

Spike

Educated
Three new playable characters have been announced for Relink, one available at launch and two more coming in an April patch:

6QsZnYS.png

Cagliostro (will be available at launch)

qbxQ0o4.jpg

qE2b6Jk.jpg

Boring picks IMO.

We already have six swordsmen (Gran, 3/4ths of the Dragon Knights, Narmaya, and Yodarha). We didn't need a seventh. If we needed an eternal then I would have gone with Niyon, who is unique as she fights with using a guzheng and a dozen needle drones that can create shields. Personality wise I quite liked Fif in the Seeds of Redemption storyline. Threo is also funny. Seox and Eahta were also pleasant and had good designs. Seofon is just boring compared to the other Eternals, though I guess it could have been worse. Could have been the bratty brother and sister *shivers*.

I guess we didn't have an archer in Relink before, but I was never a fan of Tweyen's default design. Would be nice if her kimono skin was available, but given that it doesn't seem like there will be any skins for Gran I doubt there will be any for the other characters. There's more interesting archer options out there, such as Keefer (Selfira's uncle or grandfather, fun personality, more novel design with his hat) or Flesselles (has an attack dog).

I never cared for Cagliostro. If we needed a cute waifu we could have gotten Sara or Orchis, again more unique characters fighting with sand golems/puppets.

Also, two new antagonists were announced. One is just another boring rawr Draph but the other is a Harvin who seems to wield a set of levitating daggers? Sounds cool, would be neat if she becomes playable, though who knows if she will survive the campaign.

wOYIMqw.png
You can never have enough swordsmen. 6? Not enough. I'm not going to play these "floaty blade" characters ever in my life.

More news from Gematsu:

Demo has gone live for Playstation 4 and 5. Demo is not up on Steam, not sure if there will be one.

Recolor microtransaction packs were shown off. Sadly it doesn't seem like any of the character's actual alternate outfits/skins from the gacha will be in Relink.

XKZtarO.jpg

Recolor Lancelot's armor reminds me of Seruel's wind variant, but the hair color is at odds with the armor. Recolor Narmaya looks like a Kosuke Fujishima character.

8f8YBDk.jpg

Recolor Percival looks like his elder brother Aglovale. I wonder if that means there is no chance for Aglovale to get into Relink.

5wNYaJe.jpg

They announced that there would be no cross play between Steam and Playstation. PS4 and PS5 players can play together.

luPKsbT.jpg

zUTOjap.jpg

Three patches have been announced. Lucilius (a superboss from the gacha game with a kickass battle theme by Tsutomu Narita) will be added as a superboss in Relink in early March. The two Eternals, Seofon and Tweyen, will be added as playable characters in April. There will be a third patch in May but we don't know what will be in it.

Unfortunately we will have to wait two months after launch for the Relink soundtrack to come out on March 13. They've said it is six discs long, so it sounds like we're in for 4-5 hours of great music by Nobuo Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita, and given the stellar quality of the franchise's music, it'll probably be great.

Spike

Educated
More news from Gematsu:

Demo has gone live for Playstation 4 and 5. Demo is not up on Steam, not sure if there will be one.

Recolor microtransaction packs were shown off. Sadly it doesn't seem like any of the character's actual alternate outfits/skins from the gacha will be in Relink.

XKZtarO.jpg

Recolor Lancelot's armor reminds me of Seruel's wind variant, but the hair color is at odds with the armor. Recolor Narmaya looks like a Kosuke Fujishima character.

8f8YBDk.jpg

Recolor Percival looks like his elder brother Aglovale. I wonder if that means there is no chance for Aglovale to get into Relink.

5wNYaJe.jpg

They announced that there would be no cross play between Steam and Playstation. PS4 and PS5 players can play together.

luPKsbT.jpg

zUTOjap.jpg

Three patches have been announced. Lucilius (a superboss from the gacha game with a kickass battle theme by Tsutomu Narita) will be added as a superboss in Relink in early March. The two Eternals, Seofon and Tweyen, will be added as playable characters in April. There will be a third patch in May but we don't know what will be in it.

Unfortunately we will have to wait two months after launch for the Relink soundtrack to come out on March 13. They've said it is six discs long, so it sounds like we're in for 4-5 hours of great music by Nobuo Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita, and given the stellar quality of the franchise's music, it'll probably be great.
Hyped for this. Going to be a while before I get my hands on it, though. Maybe summer.

Anonona

Learned
So I have been playing the demo for a few hours on a PS4 and wanted to share the experience and my early opinion. Beware is quite long.

The game has 3 modes: Tutorial, Story and Quest. Tutorial is self-explanatory. Story let's you play a short level finishing on a Boss Fight, and Quest mode offers three quests you can play solo with a party of NPCs or Online up to 4 players.

The combat is quite obviously build upon the skeleton that Platinum Games created back when it started development, it has a series of mechanics very reminiscent of their games. You have a dedicated dodge button which allows you to chain up to three dodges, but the third dodge has increased recovery time, and you can cancel almost any action into a dodge. There is a simplified dodge offset mechanic, which works virtually the same as Bayonetta but doesn't require you to hold down the attack button while dodging, and it has a dial-up combo system, though the numbers of combos is, of course, quite smaller compared to a game like Bayonetta. There is also a Lock-on system similar to the Soul series, as besides enemies it also allows you to target body parts of big bosses to hit their weaknesses and, supposedly, break body parts. Adding to this, the combat system has a dedicated block-button, which stops damage but not status effects, debuffs or unbockable attacks, and a skill system similar to Dragon's Dogma, where you can assign up to 4 skills to a combination of R1/RB and the face buttons. You can cancel any regular attack into a skill to allow for higher combo potential. Skill use a cooldown system similar to the original mobile phone, so they cannot be spammed. You also have a limited number of consumables you can use each quest/level to heal yourself or your party, so you also have to manage those and not waste them, specially if you play without healer as damage can be very high. There are also objects in the enviroment like explosive barrels you can pick and throw to damage enemies.

The game has numerous characters each with their own unique mechanic that changes how it plays and what it can do. Gran/Djeeta, the protagonist, can perform numerous combos combining their regular attack with his special attacks, hold the special attack to perform a charge attack and cancel combo finishers into his charge attack to perform it faster. Each time he/she performs a charged attack, finisher or link attack (more on this later) he will increase a level of his skills up to 4, which transforms his R1 skills into stronger versions. Others like Lancelot has a unique dodge that allows him to dodge and buff himself, and an infinite combo that will coat his swords in ice if performed long time enough, or Siegfried that has hyperarmor on his special attacks and so on and so for. Some character have numerous combos while other don't, having simple attacks with resource management. There is quite a lot of variety in gameplay styles. To this, each character has a set of skills that allows for different roles in the party. The protagonist, for example, had offensive skills, a healing spell and a spell that reduced incoming damage up to 70% of the next hit, allowing for a more support oriented playstyle

What I think separates GB Relink from others ARPGs are the numerous mechanics that it takes from the original mobile game that seem to encourage coordination between party members. Namely, the Link Attack System, the SBA system and the numerous support skills. The link attack system allows party members to perform a powerful link attack on the monster once their stun gauge has been filled. The enemy will become momentarily stunned, their attack interrupted and a prompt will appear if you are targeting said enemy to perform the link attack. When all party members perform their link attack, they will increase their Link percentage, and once is at 100%, performing Link attacks allow to activate "Link Time", which is similar to Witch Time in Bayonetta, slowing time, increasing your damage and how fast your skills come out of cooldown. SBAs (Skybound Arts) are super attacks that can be performed once you fill the corresponding gauge by attacking. What makes it interesting is that if 2 or more party members chain their SBA a Burst will occur, inflicting powerful damage to the opponent, so you always want to check how close are your party members to fill their SBA gauge before using yours. Using a SBA also fills their SBA meter too. by 10-15% aprox.

In the demo you fight mostly goblins as regular enemies. They had a surprising amount of variety, with the common and weak fighter goblin, archers and mages which are usually behind other enemies or in high places, and while weak can inflict a relatively decent amount of damage, wolf riders that can dodge and are quick, and big shield bearing hobgoblins that require more effort to kill and are adept fighters. Each one had different elemental affinities (mages were fire, archers Ice, Soldiers Wind) which determine which attacks are effective against them and make certain characters better at dealing with them. A nice amount of variety for what seemed to be a very early level in Story Mode.

But the meat of the game are on the bosses, which have very diverse movesets. As they lose health they will enter a state called Overdrive, which can be compared to the Rage state of MH. Enemies gain new attacks, become more resiliant and deal more damage and usually are the most dangerous part of their fights. This is usually the moment you want to use SBA chains to burst them and provoke a "Break", which stuns the boss and allows you to pummel on it. The bosses's attacks are very dangerous, being able to 1-2 hit your character if you don't build some HP on them. Their attacks can be divided in two types: regular attacks that you have to react to by looking at their animation, and telegraphed attacks which are marked a circles or lines on the ground (think something similar to FF XIV bosses). The first type can be blocked (though not too much or it will break your defense), the second one only dodged, though certain characters parries and skill allows them to nul the damage too. Of course, bosses also have elemental affinities, so planning your party composition is important too. Sometimes they will summon adds to harass your party.

When it comes to character building, Quest mode allowed some customization with level 10 characters. Besides skills and party composition, you can change their weapons, which also affects how much health they had. Each weapon also has a passive trait build. So in the demo, for example, the protagonist has a sword that increased his HP and another that increased his stun power, so you can easily build him to stun the enemy or to be tanky. Zeta, a lancer, had a critical rate up spear, and so on and so for. You could add up to 3 passive effects to each weapon, which ranged from increased attack, shorter cooldowns to more unique effects like increase in power at low or full health, status resistance, surviving mortal hits with 1 hp and more. It allowed for a surprising amount of customization together with skill and characters and I have the feeling there will be more effects in the full game to allow interesting customization. Visually there will be multiple characters skins and colours, nothing to crazy but is fine.

The level on Story Mode was reminiscent to Bayonetta 3; big open level with enemies encounters petered about, some hidden items and chests and some "puzzles" with rewards, like a transparent chest that can only be open by gathering a number of crystals within a time limit, with some light platforming elements. Characters speak with each other as you play and the number of cutscenes was ok, they were few and short so you mostly focus on playing. Quest mode on the other hand are something similar to MH, where there is a hub you can select quest, form parties with other players if you want to and then you are drop onto the quest. The quests on the demo were arena fights, first one against waves of goblins, and the second and third one against bosses, so no real level nor map to explore. I don't know if it will change on the full release. If you are down to 0 HP you will enter a critical state, and must wait to recover, use a one time item to heal yourself or wait for other party members to save you. While a party member is in critical state, the Critical Gauge will start to decrease. Once it reaches 0 is game over for the whole party, so you want to save quickly your critical companions. Quest have also secondary objectives, like beating the quest in a certain amount of time, performing certain actions a number of times or avoiding critical states. At the end the quest you are graded depending on the individual performance of each party member and the amount of objectives you have completed. Grades are from worse to best C, B, A, S, S+ and S++.

My personal opinions, I found the game very fun and addicting. The combat is simple but satisfying, there is a certain degree of experimentation and even a bit of player expression through combos, specially on small enemies. Each character feels quite dinstict and the surprising amount of party builds you can make encourages experimentation. I myself spend a good amount of times trying different combinations to try and reach better grades on the quests. Many skill have interesting effects, like parries, buffs that ranged from your typical "defense/attack up" to other more interesting ones like granting temporary invincibility, health drain or status inmunitty. There is room for smart skill usage to maximaze damage, specially in multiplayer. Using attack buffs when in Link Time or when a Boss is broken can be key to maximize damage, or using invincibility when the boss is going to use a big attack can reduce downtime, allowing to keep the damage going. NPCs were surprisingly skilled, it was very rare for them to get hit and you could even look at what they do to dodge attacks and learn from them. But of course they cannot use skill as intelligently as an human player, so I think once the game is released if you want to get the best grades you will party up with other players.

Bosses were fun and unique, each with different and distinct move sets, with the Golem being the one I liked the most. For example, the Golem had very dangerous and far reaching AoE attacks when on Overdrive, and at that point it will summon adds, Earth Elementals, that will inflict a status effect that immobilize you, which is very dangerous considering the high power of the Golem. And killing those adds allowed you to pick them up and throw them to to boss to inflict significant damage and stun damage. Certain very far reaching attacks you could jump to dodge and that made aerial combo relevant to take out adds safely while giving your back to the boss. The game controls well and the character is very responsive, it shows that Platinum Games were at a point working on it.

The game looks very beautiful, with kind of a painted style and the character design is very pleasing. The music is fantastic and suits the environments and the combat very well. The effects on attack and spells are very flashy and spectacular, and coupled with the animations it has good "game feel". Voice acting was ok, typical anime stuff. Overall the presentation is very good and it reminds me a bit to something like Tales of Arise in how beautiful it looks at times with that painted feel. Enviroments are also surprisingly detail, with a lot of different assets all around to make it feel like those places are more than just simply levels. Special mention to the hub area which is practically a small town.

Now, despite me liking the game so much, I think probably many codexers will hate it, because it does have certain flaws that can make it or break it for some. The biggest one: visual clarity. The attacks effects are beautiful, but with 4 party members it soon can become a clusterfuck of lights, voices and effects going all at the same time, no to mention damage numbers. It gets a bit of time to get used to it and the game does take some measures so you always know where you are in battle, like having a shilloutte of you character appear if there is a enemy or effect in front of him, but I can see some getting a headache just looking at the screen. After a while it didn't bother me anymore and I didn't have problem following what was happening, but is undeniable a issue of the game.

The second one is that combat is very button "smashy", though of course it also depends on your character. But enemies and bosses have a good amount of health, and many character mechanics encourage the player to be always attacking and performing combos. Not to mention mechanics like Link Time pretty much encourages you to spam all of your skill for maximum damage. So if you hate enemies with a lot of health or combat where you have to smash combos and use a lot of skills, you probably will hate GBF Relink. And of course it has cooldowns in an action combat system. I though they worked pretty well here and is a good adaptatoin of the original game skills, but is clear this will be also a deal breaker for some. Finally Lock-on is kind of fucky, specially with groups of regular enemies where it becomes hard to change target to the enemie you want at times. Thankfully you can play without it for the most part but it is still useful for targeting bosses weak points and securing Link Attacks, so I recommend using it when necessary.

The difficulty so far is kind of low. The only really challenging enemy was the golem in my opinion, and he isn't even hard to defeat, just really hard to get the highest score (I haven't be able to do so, can't kill it in less than 3 minutes, probably someone more skilled and smart than me will). And it worries me because the Golem is level 25 while the party is level 10. Now, to be fair, the two first quests are marked as easy and the golem one as normal, so is entirely possible that they were meant to be easy. I have the feeling the difficulty will be similar to modern MH, were low rank is very easy, high rank is easy to normal depending on the monster and then G rank is hard and the post game is were it becomes very hard and certain fights are hard as balls. So I wouldn't be surprised if the full game it ends up similar.

The anime aesthetics of course can be a deterrent, specially because it is "cutesy" modern anime. While there are some manly characters, the rooster is form mostly by pretty boys and girls, some little girl and some weird halflings. The setting is your typical JRPG fare and so is the writing and humor. Unrelated to this there are two assist modes, one is similar to the "assit" modes in Bayonetta and DMC (characters perform combos automatically and you just have to press one button repeatedly) and a "Full Assist" mode where you only move the character and he fights without any imput. Yeah, is pretty fucking ridiculous, but I guess they have to keep the whales happy that haven't played anything else but the gacha game.

In conclusion, If the game doesn't end up being shit on release, i think it will be a niche ARPG with a dedicated fanbase, if I'm quite honest, even if it ends up selling well. As an adaptaton of the gacha it does a surprisingly good job while still having a competent combat system. The focus on bosses may not be everyone cup of tea and is undeniable that it has a lot of degenerate modern designs (cooldowns, visual markers for attacks), but it makes those elements work surprisingly well and add a degree of coordination and party play that is not usual for many ARPGs. The multiplayer will probably be one of the most interesting parts, with bosses that require intimate knowledge of the fights and good synchronization between players to bring down fast, while still offering a solid option on competent NPC party members. If the difficulty end up being good, I will certainly enjoy the game quite a bit, I was surprised on how much I ended up liking the demo

tl:dr - I liked the game for its combat system (which has some key elements of Platinum Game combat like dodge offset and dial-up combos), party play, surprisingly deep character customization and boss battles. The main flaws are visual clusterfuck, smashy combat system and low difficulty. I can see the game becoming a niche ARPG with a dedicated fanbase, but also wouldn't be surprised if people hate it, specially here in the codex. I'm looking forward to its release, if the difficulty ends up being balanced in the full game I think I would like it quite a lot.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar
Meh, it looks increasingly like this game is not an ARPG at all. It's a Monster Hunter game with a paper thin writing. And button mashy combat.

Still looks like a better game than FFXVI though.

Drowed

Arcane
It's a Monster Hunter game with a paper thin writing. And button mashy combat.

Well, it's not like Monster Hunter had particularly good writing, anyway. The lore and setting had some interesting points, arguably, but the dialogue in general ranged from cringe to tolerable, with rare moments of actual interest. It was okay-ish if you ignore it.

I didn't play the demo, but from what I saw, the game looks like an anime-themed Monster Hunter with endless grinding, with combat full of flashy moves but not much weight behind it, where the goal is to get materials to upgrade. It sounds like the child of Monster Hunter and Genshin Impact. Which is not necessarily a terrible thing, but I don't know if it would be my type of game. I have to admit, though, that I like the visual style quite a bit and I would be tempted to try it, if the price wasn't absurd in my local currency.

ADL

Prophet
They're idiots if they don't put a demo out on PC. Which means it's probably not going to happen. Guess I'm waiting for long-term reviews and a sale or two.

Played the demo. Button mashy and zero difficulty, it's basically impossible to die if you have two neurons capable of firing synapses. There are too many screen-filling effects all the time for the ADHD mongoloids, of course.

On the PS5 it looks like shit in performance mode (looks like it's running in some sub 1080p dynamic resolution to reach 60fps, what a joke). I'm sure it's completely unplayable in the 'fidelity' mode.

Shig

Novice
Didn't mind the game, might look its way when it comes to Steam and is on sale (because it looks like dogshit on the PS5, but that isn't necessarily the game's fault); though, I really felt like everyone was just fucking talking way too much.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
How weeb is this game? I saw a stream of it for a few minutes earlier and the gameplay looked fun. Not into UGUU I AM A STRONK WAIFU shit and I'd like to box all the bitches and be bros fighting monsters. How possible is that?

Anonona

Learned
How weeb is this game? I saw a stream of it for a few minutes earlier and the gameplay looked fun. Not into UGUU I AM A STRONK WAIFU shit and I'd like to box all the bitches and be bros fighting monsters. How possible is that?
Don't know about the story mode, but you could have a full male party in quest mode, and some characters like Siegfried, Rackard and others are quite manly while being very strong characters, and the protagonist has a healing spell so don't need to worry about a healer. There is an balanced distribution of males and females party members.

The game is very weeb though, is based on a gacha. I think is less than others in part because of being both a relatively old IP and having top tier people working on the art department. Is closer to your archetypical JRPG of old than to an Isekai Anime if that helps

Here's the playable character roster (exclude Lyria, Vyrn, Roland, and the antagonists). You have captain Gran (is in his mid teens when the gacha starts, is in his 20s as of now), Rackam (late 20s gunner), Eugen (widower and squad commander in his mid 50s), a brotherhood of four knights in their mid 20s,, an old fisherman named Yodarha, a scarred Draph named Vaseraga, and a cool old guy named Ghandagoza. Id might also be playable if he survives the story.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Here's the playable character roster (exclude Lyria, Vyrn, Roland, and the antagonists). You have captain Gran (is in his mid teens when the gacha starts, is in his 20s as of now), Rackam (late 20s gunner), Eugen (widower and squad commander in his mid 50s), a brotherhood of four knights in their mid 20s,, an old fisherman named Yodarha, a scarred Draph named Vaseraga, and a cool old guy named Ghandagoza. Id might also be playable if he survives the story.
I was more concerned with how the story is presented. I'm sure you know the shounen anime women tropes and I'd like to avoid them. I can look past women as warriors if it's not kawaii uguu and abusive women wanting to fuck the underage boys type of shit that infest the fantasy genre.

Yosharian

Arcane
Played the demo. Button mashy and zero difficulty, it's basically impossible to die if you have two neurons capable of firing synapses. There are too many screen-filling effects all the time for the ADHD mongoloids, of course.

On the PS5 it looks like shit in performance mode (looks like it's running in some sub 1080p dynamic resolution to reach 60fps, what a joke). I'm sure it's completely unplayable in the 'fidelity' mode.
Isn't it normal for the demo to lack difficulty though? They ain't gonna drop the hardest fights of the game in there are they?

Isn't it normal for the demo to lack difficulty though? They ain't gonna drop the hardest fights of the game in there are they?
I suppose, but I'd be very surprised if the full game is reasonably difficult in any capacity whatsoever. Seems made for anime coomers and little kids.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Relink is adding Lucilius to the endgame bosses, and if his original raid implementation is anything to go by, he's going to seriously filter all the casuals. Cygames is on record saying they're disabling assist mode for the high level endgame bosses, so it's possible you have to plan ahead and figure out optimal strategies to overcome that fight. We'll see how it goes in anycase.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I loved the demo, it plays a lot like Dragon Quest Heroes. But the PS4 version is pretty choppy.

ADL

Prophet
bumping because it released
would appreciate insight on the endgame because the campaign is pretty short according to reviews

Spike

Educated
bumping because it released
would appreciate insight on the endgame because the campaign is pretty short according to reviews
According to WCCFTech, it's a good game. They usually have their head on straight so it's good to hear.

Apparently the game has been plagued by startup and blackscreen bugs, and audio cutting in and out. Going to wait a bit before buying. Also hope that a decensorship mod is made.

Crayll

Liturgist
I had the black screen at first running on Proton, but switching to Experimental fixed it. Seems fun from what I've played, waiting for my new GPU to give it a full go.
The localization is pretty bad, but not as awful as some games in recent memory.

Apparently the game has been plagued by startup and blackscreen bugs, and audio cutting in and out. Going to wait a bit before buying. Also hope that a decensorship mod is made.
What is censored?
Nothing directly censored vs the JP version that I'm aware of, but some of the female characters had their original designs from the gacha :decline: in all versions of the game by putting shorts underneath the skirts.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Damn, I was looking forward to a few hours with this, but it seems plagued by launch issues. Also not sure about the tacked-on multiplayer.
I'll still give it a try and hope I don't run into any one of the severe bugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom