Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fidach shakes his head. "No, it's nothing. Just nerves." Oona narrows her eyes and sets her mouth in a hard thin line, and says nothing.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán nods to Rhenmyr. "Aye, might as well set everything straight. We're in for the long haul in seems. Why not make a campfire?" He gives a smirk, and walks over to Urash, Fidach and Oona. "While we have the time, I have to warn you all that simply felling the beast won't do you any good." He quickly gives a summary of the plan (in Keltic) that was to him by Ymae, asking Urash to translate some of the finer details. After which, he smiles, "Nothing to worry about. I bet my livelihood on it." He gulps. "..And then some."

L'ennui

Magister
To Fidach: "Of course! Pardon my meddling, this place makes me nervous also."

Even as he assists Marcán in translating the details of his plan, Urash makes a mental note to keep an eye on Fidach and Oona. In this time and place, even a minor incident could bring unwanted hardship.

When they are done, Urash lights one of his torches and looks to see if he may make himself useful by contributing to the campfire, glancing back at the Picts occasionally.

nikolokolus
Urash will check the immediate surroundings for dry-ish wood. He does not break visual contact with the group, preferring to stay close. Does he find anything?

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
To Fidach: "Of course! Pardon my meddling, this place makes me nervous also."

Even as he assists Marcán in translating the details of his plan, Urash makes a mental note to keep an eye on Fidach and Oona. In this time and place, even a minor incident could bring unwanted hardship.

When they are done, Urash lights one of his torches and looks to see if he may make himself useful by contributing to the campfire, glancing back at the Picts occasionally.

nikolokolus
Urash will check the immediate surroundings for dry-ish wood. He does not break visual contact with the group, preferring to stay close. Does he find anything?
roll a 4d6 Wisdom check. You want under or equal to your Wis score.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash casts about looking for some wood to burn. You hopefully pick up a few pieces of wood laying near the edge of the swamp and set about to make a little fire, but apparently your scant knowledge of woodcraft is a little too thin. You get a bit of smoke and then it fizzles and dies.

L'ennui

Magister
As he watches the last kindles of fire dying out, Urash mutters a long string of swears in Acadian.

He points an accusatory finger at the wood, spits at it and stands up to go see if he can help with something else.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
What do the Picts make of Ymae suggesting we use the fancy spear to kill the wolf?

Seeing Urash struggle with the fire, Rhenmyr helps get it going.

nikolokolus

Arcane
What do the Picts make of Ymae suggesting we use the fancy spear to kill the wolf?

Seeing Urash struggle with the fire, Rhenmyr helps get it going.
Brule was incredulous - definitely leaning toward the end of the sacrilege spectrum to disturb the dead. Could he be convinced otherwise? Who knows. Perhaps somebody with authority could assuage his concerns?

Roll a 3d6 Wisdom check (subtract your level from the roll, since lighting a fire in damp conditions is reasonably a class related skill) The same applies to Ker Helly

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr and Ker set about gathering a flammable fungus that grows at the base of trees in this part of the world and quickly get a small, but warm fire going.

In matters of burial, which are religious in nature, these Picts are cousins (of a sort) to the Kelts (although certainly rivals at times). A Druid, Bard, or a Cleric of Arrawn (god of the dead) might have a chance of speaking from a position of authority. I won't disuade you from trying though, I just wanted to fill in a bit of information that your character would have gleaned at this point from his time spent with the Picts.

In any event, this is an important enough thing that it needs to be role-played and not left up to something like a straight up charisma/reaction roll. After people make their case to the Picts I'll evaluate the merits of your argument(s) and apply a penalty or bonus to a reaction check that I will roll to see if they buy it.

Cormac walks over towards Brule and sits down. "Brule, as was said earlier, we may need that spear to defeat this creature. As a priest of Arawn, it is my duty to prepare the dead for their final rest. If we get the spear, we can do it in such a way that we honor your hero, and your customs. Wouldn't you also agree that the spears owner would be proud to know that his weapon was used, even after his death, to vanquish a worthy opponent and once again bring peace to people of your city?"

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
nikolokolus If the OOC message was directed at me, you may have misinterpreted my intention; Urash will not try to convince the Picts, merely help translate if necessary as the Druid or Cleric argue our case from their position of moral authority.

L'ennui, Cormac would be interested in the spear and the burial chamber. Not so much to take the spear, but to see what's down there and complain about their burial practices. And also complain about how scary it is and any monsters down there.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán doesn't usually like to tamper with the dead, so he'll pass on any sort of convincing. Though he won't object if the party goes forward with it, as he would like to see the beast slain as appropriately as possible.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
With the fire started Rhenmyr turns to dinner. "I'll see if I can scrounge up some food." Rhenmyr looks for places to set snares or sign of game while, but keeps the fire within view.

Do I need to roll anything up?

nikolokolus

Arcane
nikolokolus If the OOC message was directed at me, you may have misinterpreted my intention; Urash will not try to convince the Picts, merely help translate if necessary as the Druid or Cleric argue our case from their position of moral authority.

Gotcha, no problem

With the fire started Rhenmyr turns to dinner. "I'll see if I can scrounge up some food." Rhenmyr looks for places to set snares or sign of game while, but keeps the fire within view.

Do I need to roll anything up?

Foraging for yourself is 3d6 minus your level vs wisdom. Add 1d6 for every 3 additional people you try to feed (round up); e.g. yourself plus three people would be 4d6-level, while an additional person would be 5d6-level

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac walks over towards Brule and sits down. "Brule, as was said earlier, we may need that spear to defeat this creature. As a priest of Arawn, it is my duty to prepare the dead for their final rest. If we get the spear, we can do it in such a way that we honor your hero, and your customs. Wouldn't you also agree that the spears owner would be proud to know that his weapon was used, even after his death, to vanquish a worthy opponent and once again bring peace to people of your city?"
Brule seems to weigh your words as you speak to him
Finally he nods his head. "I won't argue with you priest. There is wisdom in your words." He looks over his shoulder into the heart of the vine-choked fen and shakes his head, "Maybe it's fitting the Ulfheonar has a say even in death? The tomb is a couple of miles east of here along the lakeshore on a hill overlooking the lake. I say we decamp a bit farther down the flanks of the hill, this place has a sickness upon it."

"I am glad you are in agreeance. No more of your people should be sacrificed to appease a beast that does not appear to be satiated. I am sure Oona would agree? I also agree with your assessment of our curent camp situation. What a wretched place." Cormac looks around with disgust.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Indeed, this wretched place smells of nothing but corrupted nature. Onward towards the tomb!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom