Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

bert

Arcane
Grabbing the coat of plates and helm, he inspects each one carefully and checks its quality make. It was already well-made, but how well-made was it? Judging from the dozen platinum coins from his coin purse, it seemed that this man had the connections. Sokrates tried on the helmet first, and then the armor. He would have to get it fitted when he comes across the first blacksmith, he thinks. "Ooohh..."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Far be it from me to tell you all how to divide the spoils of war, but you all might want to hold off claiming stuff until everyone gets a chance to weigh-in and everything that might be found and claimed is actually found and claimed.. It's a little bit meta-gamey, but in the interest of fairness equal shares is a pretty good way to go ... of course people can always dice for it if there's more than one interested claimant, or if there is no equitable way to divide a treasure horde, you might have to forgo treasure in subsequent adventures to balance things out. Honestly, though I'm going to let you all decide how to work that out (short of attacking each other's characters, because not everyone is excited about PvP).

This brings up the role of experience points and treasure. You only get experience points for treasure that is spent; that would mean selling items and and then donating to temples, carousing in taverns, gambling, whoring and generally living it up (Think of the scene from Conan in the tavern after they steal the Serpent's Eye gem). Keeping items, equipment or trading treasure so you can buy more equipment, potions, scrolls, etc. does not give an experience award.

Have fun! ;)

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Far be it from me to tell you all how to divide the spoils of war, but you all might want to hold off claiming stuff until everyone gets a chance to weigh-in and everything that might be found and claimed is actually found and claimed.. It's a little bit meta-gamey, but in the interest of fairness equal shares is a pretty good way to go ... of course people can always dice for it if there's more than one interested claimant, or if there is no equitable way to divide a treasure horde, you might have to forgo treasure in subsequent adventures to balance things out. Honestly, though I'm going to let you all decide how to work that out (short of attacking each other's characters, because not everyone is excited about PvP).

This brings up the role of experience points and treasure. You only get experience points for treasure that is spent; that would mean selling items and and then donating to temples, carousing in taverns, gambling, whoring and generally living it up (Think of the scene from Conan in the tavern after they steal the Serpent's Eye gem). Keeping items, equipment or trading treasure so you can buy more equipment, potions, scrolls, etc. does not give an experience award.

Have fun! ;)
So no exp for anything other than spending?

"Yes Rhenmyr, I am sure the hair came from a woman that matters to this fool. Which is why I believe she's likely to know something."

nikolokolus

Arcane
So no exp for anything other than spending?

Well, there is experience for defeating foes, solving "problems" and achieving certain milestones (finishing "big quests" and that kind of thing) But yes, the gold-for-experience thing comes down to blowing it. However, that spending can take many forms (as listed above).

“Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat & stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame crimson, and I am content"......Conan the Cimmerian.”
Robert E. Howard, Conan the Barbarian

The main idea is that you learn more by putting yourself at risk, living large and drinking deeply from the wellspring of life. While people who play it safe are the kinds of responsible folks that never leave home, choosing instead to live nice quiet lives as 0th-level farmers and midden cleaners. Mechanically, this has the advantage of giving you the opportunity to choose how fast you level up: Either you risk a lot and possibly put yourself on the verge of poverty or you take some of that money and invest it on better equipment, spell research, henchmen, training, (which allows you to re-roll your Hit Dice at level up) or even a stronghold when you get to high enough level - the difference here is that you get experience when you spend on things that don't directly benefit you mechanically or at least incurs a big risk.

And lest anybody say I am not a merciful god, If you choose to use the carousing table (Here) you get double the experience points vs. just telling me that you spent a certain amount on hookers and blow! :)

Bottom line: Choices and consequences ... on the other hand, if everybody hates this idea, then let me know. Just remember that I plan to give you ample opportunity to acquire the means to support yourselves (or die trying). Speaking of XP, everybody earned some from that fight ...

Everybody earns 133 XP (even people who were knocked out by the spell). Add this to your character sheet and don't forget to add the various experience bonuses you get for high ability scores (+5% for 13+ prime ability score(s), +5% for 13+ Wisdom and +5% for 13+ Charisma).

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
I did a conversion of the 1st ed. AD&D Bard for Swords & Wizardry. If people don't mind taking a look at it and letting me know what you think via pm I'd appreciate it. If enough people like it or would like to take a crack at playing a bard down the line I'll link it in the OP.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It figures that as soon as I'm busy Heron gets woken up. Caught up, sorry for my absence.

Heron struggles to his feet with a wince. "Phew- what the hells happened? Where is the mage?" Upon meeting the assembled and taking a few moments tot gather his bearings, Heron introduces himself "My name is Heron Eurybia, good to meet you all. So the mage is defeated? That's impressive, given how he was able to overwhelm my counterspell so easily, I would say he was very accomplished. You must be quite the warriors to have thwarted him so easily."

Heron spent his time examining the parcel with Rhenmyr, he takes no gold or treasure unless offered, but enquires about whether any writing was found on the Hyperborean. He also offers to examine the equipment for magic, and attempt to determine its purpose in exchange for a small share. He is specifically interested in the Hyperborean's key. Lastly, he attempts to remember where he last saw the Hyperborean resting in the inn, and if that fails consults the innkeeper, with the intention of finding the mage's spellbook concealed somewhere nearby.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Smashing Axe
It maybe was lost in the shuffle, but when the Hyperborean and his men came over on the ferry, he had a massive black destrier ...

Secondly, to cast detect magic, you'll need to rest for at least 6 hours and spend 1 turn per spell level in study to memorize a spell(it's well past midnight currently)

Heron remembers that the Hyperborean and his two manservants were sleeping in the partition at the opposite end of the longhouse. (Roll a 3d6 Intelligence check to see if you remember observing the spellsword or his men carrying anything in with them ... and you're certainly welcome to manually inspect the space where they were nominally sleeping).

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
So, let's take stock:
According to my reading of the situation, you are all still clustered in the courtyard, having managed to warm the hypothermic man a little, stripped the Hyperborean to his unmentionables, bound and gagged the third man. The "package" is still on the docks (I don't remember anybody saying they had picked him up?) and people have made a couple of trips into the longhouse and come back out.

So far you have laid out the following items on the ground:
2 suits of rough, leather armor
1 rusty dagger
1 badly maintained iron shortsword
1 pair of high quality boots (that fit Borric well enough), The right, has a false compartment in the heel and a hidden 3 inch spring loaded blade in the toe.
1 Belt with a small hiden slot behind the buckle (very small, big enough to hold 3-4 coins, or a lockpick perhaps).
1 lock of red hair tied with a silver cord that smells faintly of perfume
68 silver pieces
2 strange platinum coins with a ram's skull and a strange mark

From the Hyperborean:
1 bronze coat-of-plates
1 fine silver helm
1 falcata style bastard sword made from a polished, brassy looking metal (bronzelike?) etched with strange writing, a polished ivory grip and a bloodstone set in the pommel
1 silver key
1 heavy fur lined leather traveling cloak
40 silver pieces
89 gold pieces
12 strange platinum coins identical to the mansevants'

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
: Just a bit of housekeeping. Siveon has agreed to be my guinea pig and is going to convert Marcán to my custom Bard class. It really wouldn't have had much of an effect on this fight, but in the future you'll have somebody with some built-in lore skills, some nice support features and somebody trained to do the bullshitting and negotiating ... who knows, maybe he'll even be able to tell something about that sword?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey those images in page 12 don't show up for me. Also I call dibs on them boots.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could talk about it in-character y'know. Also, I equally want those boots but I'm more inclined for that Bastard sword.

Marcán makes a mock bow towards Heron, "Greetings Heron. I'm Marcán. Now that introductions are in order..." He walks over to the rather diverse pile of items laid upon the floor. He playfully grabs the strange bastard sword and inspects it further, trying to see if he remembers anything in particular about this weapon.

*COUGH* Yeah I'm using Bardic Lore now *COUGH*

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
One less front liner, one more support Good stuff. Can we assume Rhenmyr brought the package up from the river with him? I was "plotted" up there and would have wanted to bring it along.

"Well met Marcán, I'm Rhenmyr." Looking over the loot he says, "So, we have quite the haul. Might I suggest a sizable amount of the coin be given to the widow? She, no doubt, has rough times ahead. And an equitable distribution of the rest? As for the equipment, the big man seems to want the armour and helm. I'm interested in the sword, belt and cloak. It's much colder up here than back home."

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

"I will take what I am given, if anything. I did little but fail against the Hyperborean's magic, hardly anything worthy of song, yet alone treasure. Nevertheless, if you find no use to the key or the hair tied with a silver cord, I would like to look at them further. Enjoy the spoils of your well earned victory. Now, there's a few things I would like to check on- excuse me. I won't be long" If anyone follows Heron and asks he will say openly say that he is looking for the Hyperborean's spellbook.

Heron moves to manually inspect the place where the men were sleeping. If he finds nothing, he will move to inspect the Destrier at the stable. If he still finds nothing, he will make enquiries with a stable boy.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
"Coin to the widow? Aye, seems right. I have no need of coin now, take my share amongst yourselves if you so will. Or add it to the widow's share, I care not."

Ah well, I'm gonna have to spend a few levels letting bert tank and flanking where possible until I get more HP.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Heron walks quietly into the Longhouse. Zelkor's widow looks to have passed out, slumped over the table where her dead husband lies. You walk to the end of the longhouse and rifle through the rumpled furs. Nothing. You seem to recall quite vividly that none of these men had much kit with them when they came in to retire, which seems a curious thing.

Curiosity sated, you exit and walk to the stables. There are a couple of oxen in a pen, a piebald gelding in another and then the massive black charger in a pen near the back. You are surprised to find the horse fully saddled and as you approach, it stamps its hoof and snorts loudly at you ... it does not appear friendly.

nikolokolus

Arcane
You could talk about it in-character y'know. Also, I equally want those boots but I'm more inclined for that Bastard sword.

Marcán makes a mock bow towards Heron, "Greetings Heron. I'm Marcán. Now that introductions are in order..." He walks over to the rather diverse pile of items laid upon the floor. He playfully grabs the strange bastard sword and inspects it further, trying to see if he remembers anything in particular about this weapon.

*COUGH* Yeah I'm using Bardic Lore now *COUGH*

(roll a lore check; ie. a saving throw ... even if you fail the lore check, don't forget you have an 80% chance to decipher script).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán picks up the Falcata and carefully inspects it under the lantern light. Maybe it was all of those years growing up around your father's forge, or maybe it was that ancient treatise on metallurgy Druid Padraig let you read that one time, but your hands begin to tremble when you realize what you are handling. The blade is made of pure Orichalcum! A bronze alloy noted for its gold-like luster and superior hardness to normal bronze; a metal that's secrets of composition and manufacture were lost when old Atlantis sank thousands of years ago. However, you know that the blade is not thousands of years old. You recognize the forge mark on the ricasso, a blade cast in the imperial forges of Commorium. Most likely this blade was recast from an older orichalcum object. Regardless, the blade is a masterpiece of cratsmanship and is likely worth hundreds of gold pieces.

In game terms the blade is +1 to-hit.

FYI: your lore check will not tell you if an item is magical in nature or not. It only reveals part of its history and properties. The presence of Magic must be detected with "Detect Magic" at which point a lore check might reveal some function or activation word. But, the only way to discover a magic item's true nature is experimentation.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán stares intently at the orichalcum falcata. "My my my. Gentlemen, divide the rest of the items amongst yourselves, for the only thing I want - is this," he takes a practice swing. "Silver coins, those splendid boots, that armor, meaningless to me. Rhenmyer, I know you have your eyes on this blade too, but I hope you'll be satisfied with another one of the Hyperborean's possessions. But this blade is a rare one indeed, and I've taken quite a fancy to it. So, do what you will with the rest. We should make this quick, however, before our friends here try something funny." Marcán stares at the Hyperborean and curses at him in their own tongue.

"If there are no objections I'll be taking these goons over to the stables for a little chat. I might need help with the Hyperborean, however, moving him might just open his wound again." Marcán drags the first henchman (the one who didn't jump in the river) for questioning. Marcán chuckles doing so, "What a night. I'm gonna miss Zelkor."

The perk of being a bard. Multilingual now. Also - are we going to have to draw straws on who has to sleep with the old man? Because, even in-game that doesn't sound like much fun.

nikolokolus

Arcane
*snip*
The perk of being a bard. Multilingual now. Also - are we going to have to draw straws on who has to sleep with the old man? Because, even in-game that doesn't sound like much fun.

Clarification:
The old man who was wrapped in the tarpaulin is stable, but utterly cataleptic ... perhaps he's under an enchantment, poisoned or drugged? The larger of the two goons is the one who nearly died of hypothermia and is now wrapped in furs and whatever dry clothes people could spare ...

Since nobody has jumped up to volunteer to share their body heat with him in the hour or two since he took a dip, now we see what becomes of him. Thug's Constitution Check against Hypothermia [4d6] = 11 vs. 11 He is still shaking, but a little bit of color has returned to his cheeks. He might just make it through the night on his own.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker looks at the stuff brought back by the others.
"Hum, I'll take one of those platinum coins. They do seem quite rare and might get useful. I believe everybody should get one. I could use that belt too - well, only if I can put some mistletoe in it."
As he look around, he suddenly remember the old man they saved.
" Anybody up to a night with the blue goon? If he doesn't get warmer he might not survive the night. I can't do that because of my wound, right. I'll check the old man instead."
Ker then winks at Marcán.
"Do rough him up a bit for me, that bastard nearly skinned me!"

Ker tried to speak to the old man, to comfort and warm him but he still hasn't made a sound.
"Is that man deaf? Hmm, maybe someone knows him at the longhouse."
Ker tries to make him stand up if it is safe to do so but will call for a bigger comrade if he needs to carry him.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán grabs the one conscious prisoner by his bound feet and begins dragging him across the muddy yard towards the stable.

Ker tries to lift the horrific smelling old man from his repose, but he is utterly limp and shows no signs of waking.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Here's the rundown as I've seen it so far.

money
128 silver
89 gold
14 platinum (one each first, then split the other 8. Recommend do NOT spend these until we know where they are from)

Proposed split
Heron 1 Plat (doesn't want share)
Marcan 1 plat (no share, kick ass sword)
Sokrates 1 plat (no share, kick ass armor)
Borric 1 plat rest of share to widow 29 gold, 42 silver(XP correct?)
Ker 5 plat, 30 gold, 43 silver
Rhenmyr 5 plat, 30 gold, 43 silver

So shares of money after 1 plat eac
silver 43, 43, 42
gold: 30, 30, 29
plat: 4, 4 (not giving to widow)

items
2 suits of rough, leather armor -->sell/discard/no one seems to want
1 rusty dagger -->sell/discard/no one seems to want
1 badly maintained iron shortsword -->sell/discard/no one seems to want
1 pair of high quality boots --> Borric
1 Belt with a small hidden slot behind the buckle -->Ker
1 lock of red hair tied with a silver cord that smells faintly of perfume -->Heron?
1 bronze coat-of-plates -->Sokrates
1 fine silver helm -->Sokrates
1 falcata style bastard sword -->Marcan
1 silver key -->Heron
1 heavy fur lined leather traveling cloak --> Rhenmyr

Questions, comments, or is everyone OK with this breakdown?

"Should we start moving the rest of this lot to the stables?" Rhenmyr asks. "Will anyone help me carry the Hyperborean. We can use the cloak to move him."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom