Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Would navigation impart some knowledge of moon movements?
Rhenmyr examines the body.
"Looks like diagrams of the moons. I couldn't say if they were for mundane use or something more in your wheelhouse."
Not exactly. navigation by the stars would be finding the pole-star in the sky and using other clues from nature and memory about divining where north is. Movements of the heavenly bodies and interpreting what they mean is strictly the province of the Astronomer and Astrologer.

EDIT:
I'd still allow an INTx1 roll for a S.W.A.G (scientific wild ass guess).

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab approaches Ru's door and says to those inside, "What's going on in there? Found anything my friends?"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric casts about for signs of Rashid, looking about for signs of belongings that seem out of place in a Pictish settlement.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric casts about for signs of Rashid, looking about for signs of belongings that seem out of place in a Pictish settlement.
Borric looks high and low and tries to ask around the village to see if anyone saw Rashid. A couple of people speak halting Illyrian and although the conversations are very strained and hard to follow, Borric comes away feeling sure that the villagers haven't seen him.

An old man resting on a chair in the late day sun, is eager to talk to the hulking northman and tells you long tales of Uvan's legendary sadism and how he used to make Rashid clean his boots with his tongue after walking through the sheep pens, but like the others he tells you that he hasn't seen the man for days, not since Uvan went out on the moors looking for you all under Talorc's command. If Rashid came back, then he did so quietly and without notice and left the same way. Trying to be helpful he points in the direction of Ymae's hut, "She help no? Good magic! See much! Yes?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash continues casting about and finds several odd fetishes, and clay "coins" inscribed with Ogham script runes along with a wooden staff that is inscribed along its length. They all might be nothing more than curiosities, but might bear further examination,

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"If there's nothing more to be found with the body or room, I suggest we go talk to Ymae."

L'ennui

Magister
Urash puts the parchment back in a scroll case and stuffs as many coins and fetishes as he can in his bag, intending a closer examination at a later time. He grabs the staff also.To Rhenmyr: "Yes, let's go. I've a mind to speak with the venerable crone in any case."

nikolokolus

Arcane
After a brief walk to the northwest corner of the village you rap on Ymae's hut door. Inside you can hear muffled talking. Shortly thereafter Marcan opens the door with a smirk on his face and motions inside the hut.

Seated on a chair at the back of a hut is a very striking, black-haired woman, fidgeting nervously with the hem of her shift. There is no sign of the crone.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr looks around for the crone and notes the bard's grin. "I take it your betrothed was masquerading for some reason."

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab nudges Marcàn and says to the "witch", "I take it you are the Ymae to whom our friend is to be wed."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Yes and no. She is not Ymae at all - " he cuts himself off, "but Aphrodisia the Fair! There is much to explain, ah, but it is quite grand. To be free of all the jests, snide remarks, and looks of pity." He makes an exaggerated sigh, and returns to his normal disposition, removing the smirk on his face. "Give us a moment, I was just discussing how she may help us with a bigger, more overreaching problem than just a wolf infestation."

Perhaps we can dump all of the PLOT until after the charisma roll?

Cormac remains in the room and inspects the body in preparation for reviving Syelle Ru to speak with him.

Necrology[1d100] = 47 vs 138

Beacause im on craptastic internet for the next few weeks, I'll pre type my questions to him.

1.Wrong spell! Deleted the questions.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Yes and no. She is not Ymae at all - " he cuts himself off, "but Aphrodisia the Fair! There is much to explain, ah, but it is quite grand. To be free of all the jests, snide remarks, and looks of pity." He makes an exaggerated sigh, and returns to his normal disposition, removing the smirk on his face. "Give us a moment, I was just discussing how she may help us with a bigger, more overreaching problem than just a wolf infestation."

Perhaps we can dump all of the PLOT until after the charisma roll?

Go ahead and make first a Charisma roll. If that succeeds at +10% to your fast-talk and roll that (remember fast-talk is capped by the language you use).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac finds a quiet corner in the great hall. The bodies have been cut down and dragged off to be thrown into fen, unmarked and unmourned. Brule stalks out of the great-hall headed for where you don't know and he barely acknowledges you as he departs. The place is all to yourself. (Llywelyn ap Gruffydd I'll answer your questions in PM).

L'ennui

Magister
Urash seems taken aback by all of this, but quickly recomposes himself. He bows briefly to the woman and looks up with a curious mix of wonder and suspicion.

"Is this true, Madam? You are also Ymae? Then firstly, I must compliment you on your subterfuge, though admittedly I am flustered that I did not see through it myself, and secondly, I must ask: though you may be no old crone, you obviously possess no small measure of arcane gifts..."

Urash takes a step closer, leaning on the dead sorceror Ryelle Ru's marked staff and observing the woman with curiosity.

"... Where did you gain these gifts? You seem as much a stranger here as us, and perhaps more. I wager you are no swamp-witch or Pictish priestess, yet here you are in this most desolate hut planted on the hinterlands of this forsaken world. Who, and what, are you?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias, half-smiles at Urash, "I'm flesh and blood Acadian, but no I'm no Pict, nor a 'witch.' Well at least, not what passes for a witch out here. It's all a long story and maybe not all that interesting, but I'll tell you what I can."

She sits back in her chair and heaves a sigh, "Koren found me long ago in Commorium when I was little more than a girl. He told me I had a rare gift; the sight. It had always been just some 'trick' I'd used to scrape out a living: tell sailors if their voyage would be beset by storms, the goodwife if her husband was true, if a beloved would return one's affections, and that sort of thing. But then one day, here was this looming, Hyperborean lord ducking his head in my tent and telling me that he could teach me -- help me truly understand. My parents were upset, until he loaded them down with enough Drakes to keep them fat and happy for the rest of their lives. Bought and sold! At first I was terrified, but Koren was kind. Nothing like what you'd expect of the Eld; all those stories about demon-worship and baby-eating and so forth."

She smiles and pauses while deep in thought. "Anyway, he did teach me -- Guided me. In time I even grew to love him too and willingly became his consort. Those were good days, travelling all over the Imperium, always in search of some scrap of esoterica, some bit of lost knowledge. We even went to Kor in Acadia and Kheshatta in Stygia before the war, and all of the nonsense that accompanies such things made it too difficult. But he always seemed draw people to him where ever he went." She puts her finger to her chin and remarks off-handedly, "Kheshatta was where he picked up Djivan you know?"

Aphrodisias snaps out of her reverie and looks around the room with a slightly embarrassed expression, "I'm sorry. I'm rambling aren't I? It's been awhile since I've had anybody to talk to. Not really since Ymae passed on. You asked me who I am and what I am. As much as I loved Koren, in the end I was nothing but a simple pawn to be played in his great game. Tychon, Djivan, Ali too I'd wager? He put something in my head, that made me forget, but also made me believe something false; that I'd die under an assassins blade if I didn't flee, and I had this overwhelming urge to 'go north' like a mantra. I remembered Crannógmere from our travels together and the witch-woman Ymae he'd come to find. She was extremely kind to me and there was that repeating voice in my head saying 'go north.' So I fled Odessos without even really knowing why. Reaching this village was no small trick let me tell you, but I did meet a young Kelt warrior in Garstag and used the sight on him to suss out his trustworthiness. He was a very gallant lad." She smiles as if remembering a pleasing, long-forgotten memory, "Sadly, I had to abandon him at Lurien's Ford and make my way here on my own, under the guise of an itinerant Drune."She looks at Mab pointedly.

"When I finally got to the moors outside the village, Ymae intercepted me as if she had been expecting me. She didn't say a word about it, but she knew somehow I'd come looking for her. That was ten years ago. Before she died two years later, she only said that fate is a funny thing. That a darkness was coming to Crannógmere and that I'd play a part and she was sorry. When I woke the next day I realized that she'd bound me her somehow. Anytime I tried to leave the village I'd get as far as I could, inevitably fall asleep, and find myself awake the next morning in her hut. Six months ago is when I "woke up" and remembered Koren, and his horrid spell and the book I'd been carrying around for all this time without even realizing it."

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
Urash listens to all of this, obviously fascinated by the tale.

"Koren... you speak of Koren Ghul of Odessos, yes?"

Urash lays down his pack, sits on a nearby stool and sighs, as though freed from a heavy burden born too long.

"I had begun to doubt whether I would ever be able to succeed in my mission... yet here you are, no less than the consort of the one I was sent to investigate. The strange stars of this epoch may hold some good fortune for us mortals yet.

I was tasked by my master, Lu Ghal Ishra of the Royal Academy of Kor, with investigating rumors of disaster at your... Guide's... tower. Your mentor and mine shared correspondence of some import, or so I am inclined to believe. In any case, arriving in Odessos, I only found a wrecked tower and a lone dog. Except the dog turned out to be one of your former comrades, an initiate of Koren, transformed magically. He spoke to me of Abazion's treachery and I made for the North in pursuit of him. That is how the fates have brought me here...

Truth be told, I was nigh ready to admit defeat and abandon this Abazion to whatever the gods have in store for his cursed soul, but this chance encounter is as sure a sign from Enki and Ishtar as I could have hoped for; the hunt must go on..."

Urash sits then in silence, seemingly lost in thoughts.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"The dog talked to you? We didn't have any such luck with it..." Rhenmyr trails off.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias looks confused, "A talking dog? Koren posessed no such creature. What did this dog say exactly?"

L'ennui

Magister
"Well... not really a dog, in truth. The poor sap was a disciple of Koren Ghul... or used to be, anyhow.

He revealed to me that a choice student of your master, one named Abazion, betrayed Koren and wrecked havoc on the tower and its occupants. Many apprentices were killed, and at least one was turned to a dog...

Lastly, it was also revealed that this Abazion was fleeing northward into Getae. That is all the poor soul would tell me. It was enough to bring me here."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom