Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm interested in fighting styles, though I'd toss all that away if you have a Barbarian class stashed somewhere.

nikolokolus

Arcane
So you're handing out new toys left and right, and my Ranger gets nothing new until level 9? :negative:.
But seriously, I've got no complaints about any of the proposed changes.

Haha. I'm still thinking, but I have some ideas for Rangers too ;)

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm interested in fighting styles, though I'd toss all that away if you have a Barbarian class stashed somewhere.

Ooooo!!!! The hell you say? Well, I think I can oblige! There's a Crypts & Things Barbarian class and if you like it you are free to convert your fighter over to it.
Here's the link to the beta rules from the ongoing kickstarter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9F0pyfarmVieDVCRmJzUUdpeUU/view?usp=sharing

To be completely frank, if you guys are up for it I wouldn't mind converting the game over to Crypts & Things with its swords and sorcery focus and then tack on classes from S&W complete as needed/desired. There'd be a helluva lot less house rules because it's something I'd want to run by-the-book (or very close it) and to your benefit C&T characters seem a lot more competent/likely to survive at low levels than characters in RAW Swords & Wizardry (even though C&T is a derivative).

Just something to mull over before we get much deeper into the game (and if we did convert things nobody would have to start over or anything, all XP would carry over). There would be a few adjustments though: Druids and Bards would continue to use S&W Complete for their spells, but you would have to abide by the 'Color of Magic' rules from C&T, plus there's a bit of an overlap between Rangers and C&T Barbarians, and while it doesn't apply to anybody currently, the most radical difference is that Clerics and Magic-Users get folded into the Sorcerer class.

Look it over and let me know what you think. Nothing has to be decided right now (and I'm perfectly willing to continue along as we are).

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Ooooo!!!! The hell you say? Well, I think I can oblige! There's a Crypts & Things Barbarian class and if you like it you are free to convert your fighter over to it.
Here's the link to the beta rules from the ongoing kickstarter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9F0pyfarmVieDVCRmJzUUdpeUU/view?usp=sharing

To be completely frank, if you guys are up for it I wouldn't mind converting the game over to Crypts & Things with its swords and sorcery focus and then tack on classes from S&W complete as needed/desired. There'd be a helluva lot less house rules because it's something I'd want to run by-the-book (or very close it) and to your benefit C&T characters seem a lot more competent/likely to survive at low levels than characters in RAW Swords & Wizardry (even though C&T is a derivative).

Just something to mull over before we get much deeper into the game (and if we did convert things nobody would have to start over or anything, all XP would carry over). There would be a few adjustments though: Druids and Bards would continue to use S&W Complete for their spells, but you would have to abide by the 'Color of Magic' rules from C&T, plus there's a bit of an overlap between Rangers and C&T Barbarians, and while it doesn't apply to anybody currently, the most radical difference is that Clerics and Magic-Users get folded into the Sorcerer class.

Look it over and let me know what you think. Nothing has to be decided right now (and I'm perfectly willing to continue along as we are).
I don't mind either way :)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
My first impulse is to keep going as is, but go for the switch if the majority prefers to.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Meanwhile . . .

Marcán surreptitiously laces his drunken revelry with a cleverly disguised piece of eldritch lyric.

Guard's Saving Throw vs. Marcán's Bard Song [1d20] = 18

The guard shakes his head vigorously and looks directly at Marcán, "What in the?! . . . Sorcery! Seize them!" His fellow gaurdsmen lower their spears and rush forward.

Roll for initiative.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Great. A fight right before I have to go to work.

"Crap, our luck just wore out." Rhenmyr mutters before speaking to the guards: "Bad choice, mate, three people have crossed us in the past day. The big fellow here is now our prisoner. The other two are puddles of goo."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Nightingale groans at Rhenmyr, "Bel! This just isn't my night. Look fella, you're going to want to grab your friends and run. This place is going to be swarming with gaurds in a few minutes. If you come with me, I know a way, but we must go quickly." She then slinks into the shadows of the alley and you see her fishing for something in a belt pouch.

Nightingale's Initiative: [1d6] = 6 +1 = 7
Guard's Initiative: [1d6] = 6

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How annoyingly cruel.
Initiative: [1d6] = 5

Marcán gets out of faux stupor, "Oh, fine. Now, once again I look like the bad guy." he scowls at Rhenmyr. "-And do try and speak less of men turning into goo, it's not something you broadcast when you're being charged of sorcery!"

Marcán attempts to flee with Nightingale.

I say attempt, since y'know - lower initiative.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"What? That ought to be damn intimidating! Lets go!" Rhenmyr replies to Marcán then follows Nightingale.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Just waiting on Helly and bert to roll for initiative. If needed I can roll for one or the other, but I'll give them a few more hours

bert

Arcane
Initiative: [1d6] = 3

The people in armor holding weapons look like people Sokrates should not mess with. Sokrates puts his hands up to placate the guards, stepping back with Borric. "Uhhh..no kill!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr, Sokrates, Ker, Heron and Nightingale look on at least partially hidden in the shadows of a narrow alley 30 yards north of the guard that approached Borric and Marcán, behind him his two comrades are standing another 20 yards back at the top of the stairs. (Hyginos and Erasmos are inside the alley with the majority of the group)

Round 1 Order:
Rhenmyr & Nightingale
Guards
Marcán
Ker
Sokrates & Heron
Borric

Movement & Missiles phase:
Nightingale steps out of the alley, cocks her arm back and throws something small and round.

Nightingale's grenade attack [1d20] = 9 (misses)
grenade missile miss direction [1d8] = 5 (lands in front of the lead gaurd)

A second later a concussive sound followed by a bright flash of light fills the air from a spot in front of the guard. Immediately smoke pours out to about a 10 yard radius. It chokes the air and envelops the lead guard as well as Borric and Marcán.

(Anybody inside the smoke is functionally invisible. Attacks against are at -4 to-hit and missile attacks cannot be targeted)

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Is there anywhere we can set up a rope as a trip-wire in the alley? If so, and there's time, I'd like to set one up and tell Marcán in Keltic to jump over it. I'm assuming he could quietly inform Borric as well. If not I want to work my way up the alley away from the guards, looking for a place to hide/set up an ambush.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Nightingale still has her rope from her descent over the wall held loose over her left shoulder. You can easily take it from her if you like and you can certainly yell at Marcán in Keltic. Setting up a tripwire is easy enough as long as somebody else helps you, but that means dropping in the initiative order to whomever is helping you and it will happen in their part of the movement phase. So go ahead and describe how you want to do it and I'll adjudicate it as fairly as I can.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Damn. Ker is next closest and he is AFTER Marcán. Oh, well. Let's give it a shot.

My plan: Our group will fall back to the next cross alley and hide to either side. Ker (or Sokrates if he can get there in time - more muscles) and I will set up a trip wire and alert Marcán to stall a bit then run and jump at the next cross alley. Hopefully the guards don't know enough Keltic to grasp the plan. When they trip, we club then senseless or make a dash for the stairs, whichever is more expedient.

"May I borrow your rope, Nightingale?" Rhenmyr asks. Then to Marcán in Keltic "Marcán, stall a bit then follow as fast as you can. Jump at the first cross alley!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Those in the alley find it impossible to tell what is happening inside or beyond the thick cloud of smoke, but you hear three shrill wooden whistles pierce the night air and one of the guards shouts, "Over here. A sorcerer, gods help us!"

Guards throwing spears [1d20-4] = 12-4 = 8 , [1d20-4] = 16-4 = 12 , [1d6] = 6 , [1d6] = 1

Everyone hears two spears clatter harmlessly against the cobbles. Seconds later, a voice inside the smoke shouts, "You idiots! You'll hit me! Get the net!" A moment later a guard emerges from the cloud, looks around as if he's trying to get his bearings and lowers his spear in the direction he just came from and sets it, apparently waiting for something (His back is now to everyone in the alley).

(Everybody else can take their movement or missiles action now, including Rhenmyr's plan to set up a tripwire.)

nikolokolus

Arcane
2tDtXXv.jpg

Each Hex = 10 yards

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom