Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by nikolokolus, Jan 21, 2015.

  1. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Show Spoiler
    In the interest of keeping things moving along I'm going to fade bert's character Sokrates to quasi-NPC status. I see that he hasn't logged on to the Codex since the 22nd when I looked at his profile. I sent him a PM to let him know. In any case I just wanted to let you all know what's going on and why I hadn't posted until now - I wanted to give him a full 24 hours to post something before jumping back in.


    The spindly limbed creature with its oily black skin shimmies across the ceiling until it is directly over Heron's head, it detaches its foreclaws and looks as if it's about to drop down on top of him.

    (Anybody with a 6 for initiative can take their move/missiles action simultaneously, everybody else can move or fire a missile just after this happens).

    Nightingale picks Erasmos up by the scruff of his neck with Sokrates and they along with Hyginos plunge through the chest high water (at half speed).
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,201
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Marcán pulls out his torch and his flint & steel. He ignites the torch and waves his around before throwing it up at the horror, hoping to scare it off and/or burn it.

    "I said move you damned bastard!"
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Question (open)
    So everyone is in the water except Heron and the baddie? Does the door open into the chamber with the water? If that's correct I'll proceed with the below. If not, disregard it all.

    "Damn it" Rhenmyr mutters.
    Rhenmyr move to haul himself out of the water in a position he can throw his full weight into closing the door as soon as Heron is through.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Answer (open)
    Yes, the door opens into the watery tunnel. The bottom of the door is about six feet above the water's surface (and the water is about 4 feet deep), but there is a rough, natural stone block jutting out about a foot from the wall that you can stand on and reach the bottom edge of the door if you stretch a bit.


    Marcán pulls out a torch and begins lighting it (it will take a full round to get it lit).
     
    ^ Top  
  5. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    OOC (open)
    Oops. I just realized I still need Borric's initiative and movement action ERYFKRAD
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    OOC (open)
    So getting out of the water to close the door is not a quick or easy proposition.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Answer (open)
    Actually, it is completely doable. You can heave yourself up on to the stone block with a climbing check (a saving throw) or somebody could help you which would add a considerable bonus to the roll. If you weren't under duress and needing to act quickly it's something that would be considered an automatic success.
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    "Ker, if you don't have anything else in mind, would you help me up so we can shut that door? Rhenmyr asks.

    edit
    Climb check (hopefully with help) (open)
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,056
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler
    I thought I'd rather shoot at the thing with my sling, it might make it go away no?
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    OOC (open)
    That might work. Borric or Sokrates could still help me up. I want to shut that damn thing in the other room!
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,056
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler
    Alright!

    "No time for that!" shouts Ker as he shoots his sling at the thing.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Show Spoiler
    Your vote is noted . . . speaking of which, if you're ready send my a link to your character sheet so I can review it. Contact me via pm.

    That aside . . .


    I take it Rhenmyr is going to seek assistance from Sokrates? In which case he obliges and you don't fall in the initiative order. You clamber up on the narrow outcropping and grip the edge of the door (you'll be able to shut it on your combat action part of the round.

    Ker needs an attack roll.

    ERYFKRAD you can just use the NPC initiative roll (6) but I'll need Borric's actions.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,056
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  14. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Ker launches a sling stone, but it ricochets harmlessly off of the ceiling.

    The ghastly, coal black creature unfolds itself and spreads its arms wide before dropping on top of Heron.

    Beastie's drop-down attack on Heron [1d20+5] = 12+5 = 17, [1d20+5] = 11+5 = 16 DMG [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4, [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3

    With spider-like grace, the creature latches both of it's foreclaws into Heron and holds him fast as it sinks it's horrific teeth into his flesh.
    Beastie's bite vs. Heron [2d4] = 5

    A gout of blood erupts from Heron's neck and he screams in pain before collapsing and abruptly falling silent.
     
    ^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,243
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    While the creature feasts on Heron, Borric uses the opportunity to strike at it with his maul.

    [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5

    Maul Damage:[2d4+4] = 7+4 = 11

    OOC (open)
    Sorry for the late join, tech issues and irl
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    OOC (open)
    Glad to have you back @ERYFKRAD!


    You try like hell to jump in the air and strike into the room but it's just too high and too far away.
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Rhenmyr pushes the door, putting all his weight into it. Hopefully slamming the door closed in the monster's face.

    "Nightingale, will this door re-lock or do we need to jam it shut?"
     
    ^ Top  
  18. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Rhenmyr pushes on the door and it swings inward fairly easily and you feel, as well as hear, some mechanism in the stone make a heavy *thunk* sound. Seconds later you hear a faint scrabbling noise against the door, but it seems to be firmly locked back into place.

    Nightingale replies in a shaky voice, "I think it only opens by activating lever or button . . . Let us go, who knows if that thing has enough native intelligence to figure it out. Quickly know!" She plunges ahead through the frigid water into the darkness with her candle held aloft.
     
    ^ Top  
  19. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    "Farewell, Heron. We will remember your sacrifice..." Rhenmyr lowers himself back into the water and follows Nightingale. "Lets get moving!"

    Rhenmyr will recover the Hyperborean's box and key from Erasmos as soon as possible.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    The mute giant gives it over without complaint.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,056
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "Such an awful death... At least it was quick."
    Ker mutters a quick prayer and follows suit
    God of the green,
    Lord of the forest,
    Let this fellow hunter
    Join the great greenness
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,201
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    OOC (open)
    *grumble* Why does it take one whole round to light up a damn torch *grumble* You could run like 40 feet in one round.

    I'm just joshing. Farewell Heron, we hardly knew ye. No like seriously, little to no character development.


    "He just had to play the hero."

    Marcán follows the rest of the group forthwith.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    OOC (open)
    Honestly, if people think this is a bad ruling on my part, I'm open to having my mind changed.


    The group pushes through the water for maybe 50 or 60 more feet. The ceiling slopes down and the tunnel appears to come to a dead end. "Alright, we're nearly there. This part freaks me out." Nightingale frowns, "We need to swim about 20 to 30 feet underwater to break the surface. Once we get through we're going to be under a pier, look to your left and you should see a ladder." She takes out a small purse and snuffs out her candle before putting it inside. "The guild owns the warehouse next to the pier, so if anybody spots us they'll be my folks. So let me do the talking and stay out of sight; I could get in some real trouble if anybody finds out I showed you this place. When everything is clear I'll give you a signal."

    Nightingale takes a deep breath and plunges underwater and out of sight.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    OOC (open)
    FYI. You guys are due some experience points. If you get out of this situation I'll get the totals to you shortly.
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,288
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    "Well, no other options." Rhenmyr takes a breath and follows suit.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.