Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing The Witcher in first person

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I posted this in the other thread but maybe went unnoticed. There is this very simply mod that allows to play TW in first person perspective. I dont know about you but for me this simple change turned my perception of the game 100%. Turning what was a somewhat arcadish experience into a 1st person (action) rpg on a level with VtMB.

Considering how easy the mod is, I think it was a huge oversight by CDProject that they forgot to enable this by default. The camera might have pissed off quite a few PC players like me.

You can get the mod here:

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=9696.0

Highly recommended!! Credits to Felldude for making this.

I use 1st person when I walk about, and change to 3rd person (F1) for combat. Works great!!

P.S. Don't forget to apply this small change, otherwise the camera defaults to pointing to the ground, which is a bit annoying:
If you change TPP MinDist to -0.1 the 1st person camera will always start facing straight ahead!

Screenshots:

witcher6.jpg

witcher1.jpg

witcher2.jpg

witcher3.jpg

witcher4.jpg

witcher5.jpg

witcher7.jpg

witcher8.jpg

made

Arcane
Awesome! IMO this would warrant the release of another enhanced edition of the game. I'd buy it.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
DraQ said:
How does combat work in FPP?
it does not, you don't see the sword, so...
you only see a green patch flying if you have oil applied and you see those air effects that the sword makes

but you scroll back a little so you can get OTS while fighting, and forward to get FPP again after that

DriacKin

Arbiter
DraQ said:
How does combat work in FPP?.

He stated that he just used first person perspective for exploring the world; He switched to Third Person mode for the combat. Similar to VtM:B

Burning Bridges

Exactly. You must select another camera before a fight. I always hit space anyway when I'm attacked, to select combat styles etc.

made said:
Awesome! IMO this would warrant the release of another enhanced edition of the game. I'd buy it.

The mod is nothing but a tiny text file to override the camera parameters, the engine was always fully capable of 1st person. So it really should have been there from the beginning.

Suchy

Arcane
The mod is awesome, feels much better to play this way. As for combat - you can simply use scroll wheel to zoom out of FPP, instead of hitting F1-F3.
By the way is there a mod for walking? You can only walk in top-down view if you click somewhere holding shift, but it's impossible in OTS/FPP camera when mowing with WASD controls.

Edit:
Yup, there is: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=18665.0

Burning Bridges

DraQ, what made me mad was how the default camera acted up whenever I got close to a wall. It was impossible to keep the view fixed on something. Really annoying!

And it felt wrong to have such gorgeous graphics and not be able to feel really inside, like in Thief, System Shock, Bloodlines and other great games.

But for combat the 3rd person view is excellent.

DraQ

Arcane
GlobalExplorer said:
DraQ, what made me mad was how the default camera acted up whenever I got close to a wall. It was impossible to keep the view fixed on something. Really annoying!
An inevitable side effect of TPP. Given how spacious most locales are in TW, I never cared.

Burning Bridges

I wouldnt say inevitable, in other games (Arcanum, ToEE etc) the camera is not so twitchy.

But point two is just as important, some people really prefer to feel directly inside the scene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom