Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] How do you play games w/ skill trees and non transparent mechanics ? Blind or spoiled?

How do you play games w/ skill trees and non transparent mechanics ?

• I play blind, accepting that some guesswork will be involved.

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • I look for mechanical spoilers but avoid reading other people's builds.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I copy builds from the internet.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I don't play games with skill trees, at least not for long.

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Usually blind, but let's be honest here and say you could probably finish modern games even if you didn't try so it doesn't matter one bit. In case I do put some thought into it's basically just applying things I've picked up from playing other similar games and genre conventions. These things stick with you and become second nature unless it's your very first game or something.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
reading builds is for second playthrough, at least. Thinking "ohshit these skills are gonna be synergistic as fuck when I'm level 50" and then spending lategame as a gimped retard unable to do anything useful is a rewarding gameplay experience.

mondblut

Arcane
If the game dares to hide information from me, I am fully entitled to research said information elsewhere.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I used to play blind in my youth, but growing older made me a whimpering mess so now I research if there are any completely broken and useless skills since I don't have the patience to ragequit after 50 hours and start all over again anymore.

Kraszu

Prophet
I play mostly blind, only sometimes I look for info on some specific skill or spell on the net, I never used builds made by somebody else, that seems pretty dull, that said the game should provide adequate descriptions of the skills. Playing sub par char can be fun so I just go with that I usually don't even load when my quest had failed but I just deal with that.

Lubulos

Educated
I play blind, except for bugs that render the game unwinnable. I do a little research on those, before starting a game, but once I'm started, I'm started. MMORPGs don't count, obviously: you need to know the best builds, unless having a weak character is your intent.

P. S.: I may look at spoilers on successive playthroughs, though. But I only do that if choosing the right skills was a pain on my first playthrough.

Eyeball

Arcane
Depends on two things: How hard I feel the game is and how well designed I find it to be. I find the hallmark of a good RPG is to make all skills useful and just about all builds viable - sure, some builds will be superior to others, but a game should be completeable even with sub-optimal builds IMO.

It has happened to me several times that I've managed to build myself into a corner due to putting all my points into roleplayey skills and ignoring combat skills or simply leveling skills that turned out to actually suck in reality while looking good on paper. Later on, you may encounter hard combat challenges that you simply can't beat due to speccing into skills that aren't optimal. A good example of this is Arx Fatalis - sure, you can hack and slash your way through most of the game, but once Ylsides show up with their 60000 hit points and oneshotting power, you will fucking well wish you'd played a mage. This is even worse when playing a thief, as both backstabbing and sneaking are largely worthless in Arx. I see no reason not to consult a skill FAQ to figure out which skills are complete fagballs, especially if you're already struggling in the first few encounters.

This can especially become a problem when story-heavy games suddenly throw hard fights at you when playing a diplomatic/stealth character. The most recent example I can think of is DE: HR. You're happily stealthing your way through the game carrying only a tranq rifle and a crossbow when BAM, straight-up boss fight! I really wished I'd put some points into anything remotely combat related at that point, because I died repeatedly until I figured out the somewhat exploity way of beating him. I find no shame in consulting a FAQ that can tell you "hey, maybe you should, like, bring a pistol or rifle with you despite playing a no casualties stealthy character."

I don't copy "builds" though - most games requiring "builds" are dominated by min/maxers who are extremely adept at taking a video game and turning it into a boring day job. Simple "this skill is boss, take it" or "this skil sucks, avoid" guidelines will do.

Eyeball

Arcane
I do a little research on those, before starting a game, but once I'm started, I'm started. MMORPGs don't count, obviously: you need to know the best builds, unless having a weak character is your intent.
I quit DnD Online over this - I wanted to run around with a themed dashing rogue/swordsman, but unless you have a metric ton of stashed gear to twink out your new character, a dual-classed rogue will be unable to disarm or pick anything past the first few levels and your actual fighting power will be so gimped you will end most fights face-down in the dirt.

That's why I preferred City of Heroes. Everything was viable. Not equally good, but viable.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Diablo 2 had one of the shittiest skill tier systems ever. Since usually only 1 skill in each tier was useful.

What the fuck are you blabbing on about? When was the last time you played Diablo? Almost every skill has been given a synergy like almost 10 years ago. This forces you to spend as many points as possible if you want to do any damage at all. There still are one point wonders, but they' re mostly defensive ones and are only ever useful with shitton of +skill gear.

Wake of Inferno Receives Bonuses From
Wake of Fire: +0.5 Yards Per Level
Fire Blast: +10% Fire Damage Per Level
Wake of Fire: +7% Fire Damage Per Level
Death Sentry: +10% Fire Damage Per Level

As regarding the topic- I haven't finished a single RPG game in ages. I go in blind initially, but after getting familiar with game mechanics I realize I'd rather be someone else, then make a second character. At this point I will research what exactly every skill does, since often that not in-game descriptions are shit. I still do my own planning on what I'd like the character to be. This is the guy I play the longest. Then I realize, how fucking easy//banalshit boring my character is and scrap him to make the most fun/ balanced character and read up the guides to confirm it stays that way through the game. I play a bit around but not far too long in, I' m already sick of the game and quit.

TheNizzo

Educated
I go in blind but with an idea of the kind of character I want to create. If a skill looks like it will facilitate that I'll get it.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I heavily dislike consulting various walkthroughs. That said, I also consider extremely vague or downright misleading skill descriptions a poor design.

That's why, when faced with such a game (previously mentioned Etrian Odyssey would be the best example here), I will search for most detailed skill descriptions possible rather sooner than later.

I never use pre-made builds thought, coming up with your own lethal skill/party/equipment combos is like 3/4 of fun in those games.

Kraszu

Prophet
Diablo 2 had one of the shittiest skill tier systems ever. Since usually only 1 skill in each tier was useful.

What the fuck are you blabbing on about? When was the last time you played Diablo? Almost every skill has been given a synergy like almost 10 years ago. This forces you to spend as many points as possible if you want to do any damage at all. There still are one point wonders, but they' re mostly defensive ones and are only ever useful with shitton of +skill gear.

Wake of Inferno Receives Bonuses From
Wake of Fire: +0.5 Yards Per Level
Fire Blast: +10% Fire Damage Per Level
Wake of Fire: +7% Fire Damage Per Level
Death Sentry: +10% Fire Damage Per Level

As regarding the topic- I haven't finished a single RPG game in ages. I go in blind initially, but after getting familiar with game mechanics I realize I'd rather be someone else, then make a second character. At this point I will research what exactly every skill does, since often that not in-game descriptions are shit. I still do my own planning on what I'd like the character to be. This is the guy I play the longest. Then I realize, how fucking easy//banalshit boring my character is and scrap him to make the most fun/ balanced character and read up the guides to confirm it stays that way through the game. I play a bit around but not far too long in, I' m already sick of the game and quit.

The synergy on other hand makes you put points into skills that you don't want, and it also limits too much how many skills you will use. The system that promotes more combination of skills is more interesting the one where you just almost all of your points just to get 1-2 spells or special attacks very good (+few exceptions of 1 skill wonders)

Project: Eternity
Given the time that I have, my first play-through is usually my only play-through (if I finish). As a result I'll usually go check some kind of FAQ/walkthrough at some point in the game. Since most games have pretty crappy manuals now I cannot really just RTFM and go.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I just copy a good build. There is usually a lot of research and math supporting the top builds, more than I could be arsed to do by myself.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
First time, I go blind.

After that, I make something broken ala with the power of Google and then crush everything on the hardest setting.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
While games are often stupidly broken and contain dead end choices, looking shit up online before your first playthrough of a single player game is basically giving up on the game beforehand. What else are single player games about except figuring out the mechanics yourself? The story? The romance? The ability to say "I finished the game"? Being guaranteed you'll win without any effort? Faggotry faggotry, all is faggotry.
:rpgcodex:

spectre

Arcane
I'm one of these anal people who prefer to make informed choices, if possible so I look shit up, always, unless they're adequately documented.
I can stand some ambiguity and trial and error, but I absolutely detest hidden modifiers pulled out of stinky ass.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
While games are often stupidly broken and contain dead end choices, looking shit up online before your first playthrough of a single player game is basically giving up on the game beforehand. What else are single player games about except figuring out the mechanics yourself? The story? The romance? The ability to say "I finished the game"? Being guaranteed you'll win without any effort? Faggotry faggotry, all is faggotry.
:rpgcodex:
For me skill trees imply multiplayer games because I only know a handful of single player games that use them, and none of that shit matters in a MP game.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I'm one of these anal people who prefer to make informed choices, if possible so I look shit up, always, unless they're adequately documented.
I can stand some ambiguity and trial and error, but I absolutely detest hidden modifiers pulled out of stinky ass.

- Thankfully, most new RPGs are so derp and/or easy that they're not worth looking up.

Or playing for that matter. Just press A until the Derpspawn is dead! Hide under 5 inch box and full health! DERP HERP DERP HERP DERP!

spectre

Arcane
Truth be told, I recently discovered I don't like rpgs that much. Sure I played Arcanum, Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate and a few others.
I didnt even progress the main quest in Oblibion and Skyrim, just went hiking for a few hours, can't bring myself to pick up Mass Efect or Dragon's age. Heck, I usually just spam the strategy forum.

Captain Shrek

Truth be told, I recently discovered I don't like rpgs that much. Sure I played Arcanum, Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate and a few others.
I didnt even progress the main quest in Oblibion and Skyrim, just went hiking for a few hours, can't bring myself to pick up Mass Efect or Dragon's age. Heck, I usually just spam the strategy forum.

mondblut

Arcane
Truth be told, I recently discovered I don't like rpgs that much.

Truth be told, no one of us does. It's a broken, abusive relationship. We hate what they became, and looking back, are no longer sure we really like what they used to be, too. But we just don't have anywhere else to go and have to put up with their abuse.

If only some dashing young FPS rogue or a noble fighting game on a white stallion would take a fancy with wrinkled, bitchy old hags we are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom