Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poodles+Hookers=Fable 2 <3<3<3

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Well, that makes three of us.
Count me in :)

Well, as a 3d-action Fable can be fun, but it is heresy to call it RPG :twisted:

Drakron

Arcane
Well after the Arena comes the minions that are very adept at blocking.

Also bandids get a "update" but you seen those in the arena.

As for boss fights ... well there is the Kraken and there is a segment in the circle of the dead were you have to kill the undead in the plataform circle, also Thunder is a optional boss.

But yes, it gets "easier" because your character is incredible strong from that point.

Chefe

Erudite
You only had a couple hours left after the Arena. Just give it a shot and finish the game.

Balor

Arcane
Well after the Arena comes the minions that are very adept at blocking.
Not that they can block my mastered ring of fire.
And provided I have a few hundred mana potions... *shrugs* *yawns*

Drakron

Arcane
I use the shield spell, I like my combat modifier being over 20 ... but its really a overpowerful spell that makes the Hero a god.

Drakron

Arcane
Shield does make it easy but why having shield on when you can spawn AoE spells, like Force Push?

Its great for melee fighters so they dont have to bother with being knocked out, Will Users dont have so much need for it (even if Maze is damn good at it).

You have the TLC version?

Balor

Arcane
Me? Of course.
And I keep it up just in case of a stray arrow or something - I also like my combat multiplier over 20 ;).
And Ring of fire r0xx0rs force push. Much greater damage and about same effect (knocks people down).
Oh, and and I have Slow time nearly maxed too... just in case.
I completed arena with 'w/o a scratch' boast at the first try.

Drakron

Arcane
TLC is a better, they altered the Grey House that you now need to use the lamp to open the basement doors, also we are no longer forced to marry Lady Grey to get inside the Mayor house.

But they fucked up somethings, the easy way to make money now is going to the Bowerstone North shop and with max guile just buy all diamonts and then sell then to make a killer profit, you dont even need to quit the buy/sell system for that.

Drakron

Arcane
Well we could not pull that off in the original version of Fable, of course nothing really stop us from buying then, go to a shop that had none in their inventory, sell then and wait until the store regenerated its stock, repeat ... its simply far faster now since we dont have to go to another shop and wait for the restock.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
cvg said:
Apparently Fable 2 will see you start out as a young boy again but in a different area from the original Oakvale, only this time you'll have man's best friend for company in the form of a young puppy who accompanies you throughout the tale.

Shit (pun very much intended)! Does this mean I'll have to train the stupid mutt not to eat his own feces?

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Yeah, it is a shame that you stopped after the arena, since there was so little game left after it. Not that there was much game before it...

Anyways, Fable did try to do a few things that should have made for an excellent game. Having your PC change appearence based on what happens in the game is one such thing. The fact you could no longer just walk into a house, rob it in front of the owners, and walk out with out consequences is another. However, these are features to enhance gameplay, not to replace it. The gameplay could very well have been described as a Zelda clone, only not as good.

This was suppose to be an incredibly deep RPG, yet it was as shallow as a rain puddle. There were no deep themes or lessons in the game. The story couldn't have been more cliched. And the player was literally spoonfed every step of the way. If you make a game rated M, can't you assume the people playing it will be adults who can figure out that "THERE IS AN IMPORTANT QUEST CARD WAITING FOR YOU AT THE GUILD." In this way any attempts to leave the straight and narrow path of start to finish were stymied. Heck, the story was pretty linear too. PM should have picked a template, either Western or Eastern RPGs, tried to create a good game of that type, and then added his fluff peices that sold the game.

As for morality, I think Western civilization has a very strong idea about what is right and what is wrong, and several things that are fudgeable. To ask developers to create a system where these standards are not assumed is asking to much. Its wrong to kill the defenseless, and its good to give money to the poor. Its alright to have some sort of challenge to these norms, but gamers are going to assume them no matter what developers do.

Nutcracker

Scholar
If RPGs were sex acts...

Fable = getting a 12 inch steel dildo repeatedly rammed up your arse

Oblivion = masturbation over good pr0n involving girl in Chefe's sig and Patrick Stewart

Morrowind = oral sex

BG II/ Fallout/Daggerfall = hot sex with the girl in Chefe's sig

OverrideB1

Scholar
Balor said:
MWAHAHAHA!
In fact, I've dropped it shortly after Arena too
I'd gotten sick and fed up with the POS that was fable by the Arena too. However, I did force myself to finish it - and frisbee'd it down the garden shortly thereafter. There's 9 hours of my life I'd like back.

There's no way I'm buying Fable 2 just to play with a pet by my side if it's the same linear, pointless, purile crap as Fable

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Nutcracker said:
If RPGs were sex acts...
Fable = getting a 12 inch steel dildo repeatedly rammed up your arse
Oblivion = masturbation over good pr0n involving girl in Chefe's sig and Patrick Stewart
Morrowind = oral sex
BG II/ Fallout/Daggerfall = hot sex with the girl in Chefe's sig

What?
RPGs aren't like sex. They require long attention spans and small amounts of effort over long periods of time. They may be unproductive but they aren't brief :)
And Patrick Stewart pedophilia? No, thank you.

kris

Arcane
I never got out of the brothel. I was drawn in back and again, that exciting and intense sex was to good to resist. I could choose from 4 ladies (EDIT: Ehr, 5 ladies) that where entirerly different and very fine ones. Its placing in the world was perfect, where else to put a brothel than near a trail full of monsters, werewolfs and bandits?

Then I finally got to take over the brothel by diggin up its deed, apparently holding the deed was enough to take over the establishment. In a moment of insanity I decided to release the poor women who's service I readily attended. I was thinking of how they would now realise their dreams or at least be thankful and give me more free sex, but alas, they just stood there, at most giving me a little comment. apparently they could adjust to a normal society and was condemned to staying at that place for eternity. But now without the sex. 'Load game' anyhow, now the sex was free and therefore I never came out that place of sin.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Nutcracker said:
If RPGs were sex acts...

Being an esteemed (or not so esteemed...) member of the RPG Codex, I must protest! RPGs are certainly better than sex.

kingcomrade said:
And Patrick Stewart pedophilia? No, thank you.

Hey, the last time I said to the judge "but she didn't tell me she was underage!" it worked.

Well I haven't played fable, but appearance should not change because you are evil.
Who are we to really judge what is evil? Eh? :wink:

You could however let your appearance change on how "evil" you are perceived by society or in lesser extent how evil you feel.

Your player character is sometimes called avatar for a reason.
It’s the way you’re presented. You aren’t really the player character. Got to keep reality separated from fantasy. :wink:
You (the real life one) are also part of “society”. You are one of the people to get an impression of your character. (likely the only real person)

So a problem with this game is how we all perceive “evil”. We all have a different “stereotype” of what is evil. And we all associate different people as being evil.

For hard working industrialists, it’s the sluggish, lazy, long-haired hippie.
For the peace loving, friendly, benign hippie, the insensitive, money grabbing, capitalist is the enemy.
Well you can’t really sell a separate fable-RPG to everyone. So they present us with this very general image.
Anyhow it’s just a game, so don’t get to hung up over it. :wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom