Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible incline in Mech gaming?

Destroid

Arcane
Visuals look pretty fantastic, I'll give it that.

It's an indie studio in LA, this is their first title.

Topher

Cipher
The visuals remind me of Japanese mech games but all in all it looks pretty good. Also wasn't there supposed to be a new mechwarrior game in the works? I remember watching a developer interview with in-game footage.

Destroid

Arcane
Topher said:
The visuals remind me of Japanese mech games but all in all it looks pretty good. Also wasn't there supposed to be a new mechwarrior game in the works? I remember watching a developer interview with in-game footage.

Rights limbo last I heard.

Topher

Cipher
Destroid said:
Topher said:

Rights limbo last I heard.

Damn.

DraQ

Arcane
Looks fairly decent actually. Animations would be better if the weren't so rapid - mechs are large, weigh a lot and have lot of inertia.

Visuals are good.

What I would really kill for, though, is a Terra Nova: SFC sequel/remake/spiritual successor.

Topher

Cipher
turn_based_fanboy said:
Incline only in presentation.

Gameplay wise look very similar to papamole mission evolved.

I liked the new Armored Core but if they are going to use that style of agile/fast mech I'd prefer an open-ended arena game like Phantom Crash.

Shannow

Waster of Time
DraQ said:
Looks fairly decent actually. Animations would be better if the weren't so rapid - mechs are large, weigh a lot and have lot of inertia.

Visuals are good.
This.
And while they look good here, I don't like urban areas is mech games.

Baron

Arcane
Shannow said:
I don't like urban areas is mech games.
I give you a big wide eyed anime WHAAAAT?!

Urban areas are the natural habitat of the mecha. Buildings must be strafed and demolished with missile barrages. Enemies must be shoulder charged through market stalls. Children must scamper and say Waah. And a giant ball shaped robot must emerge through the ground.

The graphics on this game look beautiful, everything from the large close up mech design to the skidding to a halt movement. I was a big fan of the ponderously slow super destructive Mechwarrior style, but I'd play this Japanese influence faster mechas any day... as long as their missile volleys spiral chaotically. It looks fantastic. Although I always preferred the mercenary world setting of Mechwarrior, travelling the system looking for work, trading salvage, hiring squad mates (like Tricky Nick*), and taking jobs on despotic backwater planets. Protecting Neo-Tokyo from alien invaders just isn't the same.

Was looking for Patlabour and mecha pics but found Mecha Nurse instead. Meh... good enough.

* Burn bodies, Eat dead, Kill, Kill, Kill.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Graphically does look rather nice. Though the shaky cam thing was beyond retarded.

Aside from that, I hope they actually allow for watching replays and shit in spectator mode. So retarded that games don't do that these days. They save the fucking replays half the time, but only from one (very shitty and unaware) perspective.

Lightknight

Liturgist
looks fairly interesting?
Only in so far that its a mech game, which is quite rare today. Still, just another MP shooter. And the general speedyness of it is rather...incomprehensible.

Baron

Arcane
Lightknight said:
And the general speedyness of it is rather...incomprehensible.
For you maybe, but I soldered my mouse and keyboard directly to my nerve endings years ago after watching Tetsuo Ironman. The combat speed looks perfect. Besides, you don't necessarily have to skid around a corner and empty shells into a fleeing enemy mech, there looked to be a sniper mech unloading single shots of destruction.

T3.jpg

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Really hope they are not going for the Quake style here.

But still, love the levels....a Mechwarrior game with such levels with destructable areas would be awsome.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looks like slow man's Armored Core with better maps. So the question is: Does it play like Heavy Gear 2?

And just saying, a return to MechWarrior gameplay would be DECLINE for the mecha genre. Heavy Gear 2 already proved that the MW gameplay model is a load of shit. In fact, here's an idea: Just remake Heavy Gear 2.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
No, fuck you and fuck your fucking animu mechas.

The greatest thing about Mechwarrior is that the Mechs are gigantic monsters of steel and destruction, sluggish and slow but able to tear apart a fucking city, if you want your fucking ballerina robots just stick with your animu mechas but don't mess with MechWarrior :rpgcodex:

PS: I didn't say fuck, fuck, fuck enough.

Topher

Cipher
I like both styles but I think all mechs should lean towards the lumbering style of Mech Warrior. I don't mind fast and agile if the trade of extremely limited durability like in Armored Core, my main mech in that game sure as hell better not get actually hit by anything.

praetor

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Looks like slow man's Armored Core with better maps. So the question is: Does it play like Heavy Gear 2?

And just saying, a return to MechWarrior gameplay would be DECLINE for the mecha genre. Heavy Gear 2 already proved that the MW gameplay model is a load of shit. In fact, here's an idea: Just remake Heavy Gear 2.

:thumbsup: :love:

Vaarna_Aarne

Berekän said:

The greatest thing about Mechwarrior is that the Mechs are gigantic monsters of steel and destruction, sluggish and slow but able to tear apart a fucking city, if you want your fucking ballerina robots just stick with your animu mechas but don't mess with MechWarrior :rpgcodex:

I take it you've never played Heavy Gear 2.

MechWarrior as a series is for people who can't handle proper mech combat of any style. It's the popamole blight on the genre, where no skill of any kind is involved.

DraQ

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Looks like slow man's Armored Core with better maps. So the question is: Does it play like Heavy Gear 2 Terra Nova?

And just saying, a return to MechWarrior gameplay would be DECLINE for the mecha genre. Heavy Gear 2 Terra Nova already proved that the MW gameplay model is a load of shit. In fact, here's an idea: Just remake Heavy Gear 2 Terra Nova.
Fixed.
:smug:

In any case, big mecha shouldn't be. Period.
IF they nevertheless are, they should be slow and very sluggish but sport extreme firepower.

Small mecha should generally not be mecha but PAs - agile, mechanized suits of armour stuffed with sophisticated equipment and packing a lot of ow in blam.

PBAs in TN:SFC seem to fulfil my requirements for small mecha/PAs much better than competitors - they are slightly larger than unarmoured human, can run at around 50km/h, have powerful jumpjets, but virtually no aerial manoeuvrability (so they don't turn into derp-planes), are packed with complex electronics including IR, zoom, remote camera drones, targeting systems, tactical imaging systems, etc. and often pack weaponry that treats buildings as light cover.

Also, the game has cool damage model.

Finally, Looking Glass, no Activision can fuck with fucking Looking Glass, man.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Berekän said:

I take it you've never played Heavy Gear 2.

MechWarrior as a series is for people who can't handle proper mech combat of any style. It's the popamole blight on the genre, where no skill of any kind is involved.

Wait....you claim MW is pop-a-mole yet you then go on to say that it dosent require any "skill"(i take it you are refering to the same skill deffinition as quake3 and cs gaymers are using)

Then...its not pop-a-mole IS IT?!

Mech combat (not mecha) is NOT an FPS, its partly a simulator! A tank simulator with legs and a complex damage model.

Vaarna_Aarne

It's popamole in the true Codex definition: It's made of shit and decline.

A mech simulation is all about the skill when properly made. The problem with MechWarrior series is that it doesn't feature significant variation in electronics, countermeasures, critical damage (in the real sense, like engine, pilot compartment or gyroscope hits), optional features, inherent flaws or mobility. It's all about firing the bigger gun repeatedly at an almost static target.

By contrast, in Heavy Gear 2 melee combat, electronic warfare and immense emphasis on mobility are used. Even if the other mech has considerably less firepower and armor but jump jets and higher speed, a skilled player will demolish the opponent in short order without taking any damage.

The damage model in the MechWarrior series is also inferior and undetailed. Even at the best of times, all it had for critical damage was speed decrease, weapon destruction and ammo explosion. It doesn't even have a chance for penetrating hits, just numbers whittling down and eventually introducing a percentile chance for effects.

It's vastly preferable to instead go even for the more arcade style of Armored Core, where the damage model is just numbers whittling, but the customizable variables for your mech's targeting systems, accuracy, stability, speed, munition velocity, engine power, energy storage, energy output and damage taking are vastly expanded upon, which then effect how you bring your own skill as the pilot to bear.

The problem with MechWarrior is that it doesn't bring either an indept simulation model where you are presented with a wide variety of tools to use for victory or a satisfying high-speed arcade experience with extensive customization between opponents.

Destroid

Arcane
mechamole

Mechwarrior is what happens when you take a miniature wargame and turn it into an action game, while retaining the bulk of the system. Still has a place in my heart, especially Mech2:Mercs, but I always liked the Battletech strategy games more (Crescent Hawks Revenge and MechCommander).

Vaarna_Aarne

Tycn said:
I'm intrigued. What would be some of the higher quality mech games?
Heavy Gear 2, Terra Nova, Armored Core series and Steel Battalion off the top of my head. If just using a mech is enough to qualify as a mech game here, then Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner as well.

EDIT: Oh yea, and feast your eyes upon quite possibly the most awesome game of all time, and OSK's number one fap material:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom