Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible to run the Silent Storm Editor on Windows 10?

Firesworn

Novice
The other day I found myself replaying Silent Storm. I played it a lot back in the day along with the Sentinels expansion, but while I thought about working on a mod, I didn't do so at the time because reasons. And now I'm realizing I should have... Because it seems impossible to get the editor to run at all on a modern OS.

Supposedly the game made use of MySQL 2008, which of course has been deprecated nowadays but can still be installed provided you find the correct MS file. I've found a couple of tutorials for installing it, and running the editor, but they generally have two problems. One, they assume installing MySQL will happen flawlessly, which isn't always the case. Two, they seem to be purposedly vague or lacking steps. The editor itself isn't available in the GOG version and because of this, some tutorials point to a download on PCGamingWiki, which includes both the editor and the MySQL setup. That version doesn't work for me so I tried the Express version of MySQL and it installs fine but then throws some errors and I can never access the editor anyway.

SO as per the topic title - did anyone manage to install in on any modern OS? I've heard it's hard to use but would be interesting to see what can be done with it, even if just to develop something that's not the usual reskin or some accurate weapon realism fetishes in a setting with Nazi mechs.

BreadGrill

Novice
It worked on Windows 7 at least but it was one of the worst modding experiences I've ever had. I recall having to use some alternative SQL software to get it working, but I can't remember which. Hammer & Sickle also used a newer version of the engine with more modding capabilities, but I never tried it.

Firesworn

Novice
And I think the H&S editor also requires MySQL, judging by some forum posts I've found...

Well, off to some other modding project, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom