Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post all your thoughts on Oblivion here.

Crichton

Prophet
well, rather than be left out here at OblivionCodex I went out to best buy and blew $50 on it, I've been playing Gothic II: NotR for the last month, so most of my impressions are relative to that.

I should point out that I'm running the thing at low settings with a substandard video card (6600GT) with a slew of mods installed (NPC scaling mod, UI mod, nighteye toggle mod, item rarity mod and my own customized version of venom's version of balor's level-up mod).

My character is loosely based on Vincent from the old Beauty and the Beast TV show, cat-peson with Sneak, Heavy Armor, H-t-H, athletics, acrobatics, alchemy and block.

1. More fun than morrowind, dungeons are somewhat bigger, combat and sneaking are more fun, art design does a better job of "immersion" than that frank loyd wright crap that morrowind had. Combat is hard for my character, but not as hard as early NotR.

2. Combat is interesting, the controls are inferior to jedi academy (the best IMO) but still better than Gothic II. My character can handle other boxers, archers and most two-handed weapons users, but the old sword and board just owns him, attacks almost as fast, has more reach and blocks better, I can only win those fights if I start them with a sneak attack or get really lucky. Archery seems fun, but my character's no good at it.

3. NPCs are lifeless, they wander around, but they're a lot less interesting than Gothic II npcs (and harder to find sometimes since my UI mod turns off the radar). However it's nice that they all have names and 1 line introducing themselves.

4. Dialog is just marginally better than morrowind, it's about halfway between morrowind and gothic II, i.e. still no choices, but sounds somewhat better than the old wiki, still doesn't sound as good as G2.

5. Character options are fewer than morrowind, don't know how many of them are viable, my cat-person is having increasing trouble dealing with some types of opponents.

6. Exploration is fun, fast travel option prevents some of the tedius walking around of the pre-teleportation chapters of G2.

7. The world is pretty, but still has a lot more "cartoonish" aspects than G2. The distribution of the various races seems random, so a tiny hamlet might consist of two human families, a dark elf, a lizard man and a cat-man. It would seem so much more reasonable if the cities were a mish-mash, but the world conisted of like 10 regions, and the tiny hamlets in each region generally only contained that region's native species.

8. UI, even with the mod, is pants.

9. Facegen is fun, if G3 has half as many skills and character options as oblivion, I'll play it forever.

Kuato

Liturgist
I played Oblivion for about 4 hours my intial impressions are that game plays and feels really close to morrowind except the environments look better and characters are higher res , the VO is seems worse than morrowind at times, lip syncing looks off to me but when face gen is showing off its an extraordinary ability to make a lot of similar yet really ugly people lip syncing is really not the glaring issue , and for an action game the animations are just as bad as morrowind, and the game system is just a stripped out dumbed down version morrowind, the story and plot is uninspired this "rpg" game is extremely overated. I feel embarrassed for any member of the press who gave this game 100 out of 100, unless they of course got a nice payoff.

lots of Skeletons,Rats and Bandits so far does Bethesda have any original to show in this game? Pretty much same old cliche shit I mean what rpg hasnt done an arena before?

It makes a nice tech demo at times but wheres the perfect scoring revolutionary rpg gameplay?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I bought it today and played it for a bit. The omniscient guards are ruining it for me. Kill a man in once little dinghy basement in a city and BAM! every goddamn fucking guard in all of the province knows about it. It really burns my toast. So far it's been powerfully average, but a hundred billion times better than Morrowind. Except for the UI. It sucks balls. Morrowind had a great interface, I thought (it just need a mini-map on your game screen and it would've been perfect) but this is just garbage.

More to come.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Omniscient guards are a throwback to Daggerfall. It wasn't a problem in that game - fail the roll for stealing/killing/breaking in, and the guards would appear even if you couldn't see any around at the time. Without it, crime would just be too easy - and more so in Oblivion since each city has about 20 NPCs. This was one instance where 'use your imagination' was a legitimate argument, it added to the tension when stealing even if the graphics didn't show anyone looking through a window for eg, or the game didn't make explicit 'word getting around'.

Thing about DF though was the multiple provinces. If you were wanted in one province, you could abscond to another one and start your life anew, as wanted levels were tied to the individual province.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I don't care whether it's a "throwback" (HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT!) or not, it still sucks and it's still retarded. I could understand local guards being alerted by loud noises or whatnot (the peering through the window thing is an interesting thought) but when every single goddamn NPC and guard knows about it automatically, that's just sloppy game design.

Merchants also automatically knowing what's stolen and what's not is also silly. Unless it was a personal item and they knew the person, a stolen item shouldn't raise any questions.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
I don't care whether it's a "throwback" (HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT!) or not, it still sucks and it's still retarded. I could understand local guards being alerted by loud noises or whatnot (the peering through the window thing is an interesting thought) but when every single goddamn NPC and guard knows about it automatically, that's just sloppy game design.

Merchants also automatically knowing what's stolen and what's not is also silly. Unless it was a personal item and they knew the person, a stolen item shouldn't raise any questions.

Yes, it is implemented in the same basic way as Daggerfall. It lacks the layers of sophistication one would expect now, especially from something with so much hype.

But it's still better for the gameplay than its total absence would be.

How is this a gamebreaker anyway? Are you incapable of playing anything but a kleptomaniac mass-murderer?

Twinfalls

Erudite
xemous said:
Who gives a fuck what type of char he's playing, it's a game breaker. Idiot.

Okay, so you were therefore unable to play Daggerfall.

So why the fuck are you concerned about Oblivion then, dickbrain?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Why does every thread on the Codex turn into some kind of a retarded flamewar these days? You can't go two pages these days without somebody (and by somebody I mean a fucktard like xemous) calling somebody else a 'fucking tool' just because they didn't sink low enough to steal the game or worse, they disagreed with your opinion of Oblivion! Get a life, loser.

Lumpy

Arcane
I think having to sell stolen items to fences is a good mechanic. Of course, it isn't very realistic, but implementing a system where a stolen item would eventually be identified would be very hard. So this is a good replacement to such a system.
I don't care much that it doesn't make sense, as long as it makes a game mechanic meaningful. The same about having to sleep in houses/inns.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah it's basically an abstraction of what would happen in a more detailed reality. It's a useful game mechanic and it keeps the game from being too easy. It's hardly something I'd call game breaking. Baldur's Gate 2 had the same game mechanic and it worked pretty well, since you could sell your stuff to the fence at the Thieves Guild.

The bottom line is that Oblivion is still a game and even though certain game mechanics may seem unimmersive, it's really nothing to lose any sleep over, because implementing anything more detailed would be a waste of time, especially if you as a player wouldn't witness any of it happening in front of you.

In a game like Oblivion or any other RPG, the presentation and the illusion of reality is all that really matters.

xemous

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
xemous said:
Who gives a fuck what type of char he's playing, it's a game breaker. Idiot.

Okay, so were therefore unable to play Daggerfall.

So why the fuck are you concerned about Oblivion then, dickbrain?
I'm not concerned about Oblivion. It's a game breaker if you want to RP in that way, cow.

Lumpy

Arcane
What's missing are fences for freelance thieves. Those should be gained by doing some thieving quests for some shopkeepers. But I guess they assumed that there wouldn't be any point in not joining the guild as a thief. Which is partially true.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
xemous said:
You're confusing yourself, its not stealing.
What is it then?

Stop being a moron and fuck off back to hellgatefaggot.

I'll post wherever the hell I like, if it's all the same to you.

Aren't you the one that was writing a thread bragging about how you and your pathetic release group `pirated` some game a few months ago, are you completely fucked? Do you suffer from multiple personalities? How many people use your account?
Are you just being an asshole, or were you simply stupid enough to have fallen for that shit NL pulled when he was impersonating me on that forum?

It never ceases to amuse me how little pricks like you think to behave online whilst you hide behind some anonymous nickname.

Try behaving in real life as you do online and we'll see how well that works out for you.
You little cunt, if you acted as you do online in person and you spoke that to someone, you would spend most of your time collecting your teeth, so grow up and get an education.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
xemous said:
Exitium said:
Hm, a member of one of the communities to which my now infamous release group, Wheelchair Warez, submits its releases has brought this thread to my attention.

It pains me greatly to see so closeminded a developer. It causes a fire to burn within the embers of the place where my heart once was. Are you truly foolish enough to not understand the natural forces involved in capitalism? Sure, you might feel that you've put a lot of work into your game, and that forcing people to pay $40 is reasonable for the amount of work you've done on the project, but since no sane person is willing to pay that much for a roguelike, you're not really going to make a profit on it.

To be satisfied with a little, is the greatest wisdom; and he that increases his riches, increases his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble finds it not. I believe that it's pretentious to create art just for the sake of stroking the artists ego, which is what you seem to be doing. What I'm doing is to advertise your game. Yep, that's correct. By purchasing your game and having one of my toadies put it up on various torrent sites (such as The Pirate Bay), I'm basically giving you free PR.

I expose your game to people who otherwise wouldn't have given it a chance, and out of the 350 people who have downloaded the game off that site so far, at least 35 are going to support the developer by purchasing the game. You should thank me for helping you out instead of going on about how you'd like to bash my face in. I suppose that you can call it my little gesture toward social conscience, but I like to think I'm introducing people to the wonderful world of Finlandia.

But worry not, I'm a very forgiving person. I know what it's like to feel oppressed, I know where you're coming from. When I was young, I used to get bullied at school. I'd pray to God, ask him for help, strength, and what not. But like all things you ask from god, none of it is given to you. So I developed a sense of self-reliance. Lost my faith in god, and in doing so, gained faith in myself. He who has faith has... an inward reservoir of courage, hope, confidence, calmness, and assuring trust that all will come out well - even though to the world it may appear to come out most badly. I was affected with a high degree of intellectual independence. Picked myself up from once I was a shattered person and rebuilt myself into the man I am now. I became the autocrat of my mind.

You think I wrote that? Well then, you're an idiot.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Sol Invictus said:
It never ceases to amuse me how little pricks like you think to behave online whilst you hide behind some anonymous nickname.

Try behaving in real life as you do online and we'll see how well that works out for you.
You little cunt, if you acted as you do online in person and you spoke that to someone, you would spend most of your time collecting your teeth, so grow up and get an education.

Sol Invictus said:
Respond faster, you dumb shit.

Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.

I'm always amused by posts urging people to play nice when they're followed by a post that basically does exactly what you've just castigated someone else for doing. Teh irony is delicious

Gwendo

Augur
Oblivion is a nice adventure game. I just don't understand why all those statistics, level gaining and such. I think they were implemented rushly in this game.

Twinfalls

Erudite
To be fair D4, Xemous is a complete little tool with no coherent argument to make, and did end up pissing on his own face with that attempt to pwn Rex...

franc kaos

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
What's missing are fences for freelance thieves. Those should be gained by doing some thieving quests for some shopkeepers. But I guess they assumed that there wouldn't be any point in not joining the guild as a thief. Which is partially true.
Someone has modded Thorinir in the IC to be a freelance fence (which isn't a surprise if you've done his quest).

@Data4: Like you, I'm finishing the game first, and I'm gonna have to wait for some 'idiot guides to...' to come out for the CS, but I'm definitely up for creating a major quest (a murder that you look into takes you to a ruined underground city (like U7 I think), investigating the ayleid mystery with three or four ways to complete it. At the moment I'm just writing down ideas, like the first archmage (Galerian?) leaving a message for how he wanted the mage guild to evolve). There's loads of interesting history there, it would be cool to bring it to life in gameplay, not just books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom