Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Predicting how The Witcher will disappoint

sabishii

Arbiter
You should be able to use WASD because its engine is still derived from the Aurora engine. And you could use WASD in NWN. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Deleted member 7219

sabishii said:
You should be able to use WASD because its engine is still derived from the Aurora engine. And you could use WASD in NWN. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I never use WASD anyway. I always use the arrow keys for movement.

Monolith

Prophet
I've played it on the GC, unfortunately only for about 20 minutes. I didn't even finish the prologue, which is the introduction to the story but consists of nothing but fighting and scripted events so that's all I can comment about.

The story starts like this (spoiler light, because it doesn't really make a difference):
The wounded and unconscious Gerald, a legendary Witcher, is found by other Witchers. After they brought him to their castle and attented to his wounds (which took an indefinite amount of time - possibly weeks), the castle is being attacked. Gerald, who suffers from amnesia, has to help in fighting off the enemy.

Fighting is alright. You click on an enemy with your weapon drawn and Gerald lets off a series of slashes. During such an attack the cursor changes when the time is right for another click, which, if well-timed, lets off another series. If done properly you can make combos that way. If ill-timed the attack stops and Gerald is open for a counter-attack (at least, that was my impression. The enemies never faught back at that point). I had some probelms with it at the beginning, but after the third fight it was quite easy to make combos until the enemy drops dead. Some deadbeats who were too lazy to read through the tutorial messages and any dialogue didn't get it even after 20 minutes of playing. They kept on clicking all the time, diablo-style. They seemed to be quite frustrated about it but after I told them how to do it, they found it quite intuitive. There are also some tactics involved. You can change styles whereas some are suitable when fighting quick, strong or simply many enemies. Gave fighting a nice touch although there didn't seem to be any indicators that told you which enemy is strong and which one is quick apart from the tutorial messages I got. You can dodge attacks manually, by double-clicking anywhere on the floor. All in all well done. IMO better done than any combat I've ever experienced in a RPG with RT combat. Perhaps it's important to add that IMO RT combat in RPGs usually sucks, unless the player has at least some influence on the outcome. Combat in NWN 2 bored me to death.

While the prologue consisted of much fighting, it was much more interesting than i. e. NWN's prologue. There were less enemies, there were some interesting scripted events and the tutorial was incorporated into what happened. For instance, at one point Gerald has to use magic. He has no clue about magic whatsoever due to amnesia and has to learn something about it quickly. When he does, the magic system is explained to the player.

Still, there were some things that bothered me. For instance, the prologue is absolutely linear and railroading the player through the events. Hopefully this is only the case for the prologue and not the rest of the game. I really don't want another NWN 2. For me, that's the most important factor. If the game turns out to be like NWN in this respect, I won't buy it no matter what.

The second thing that bothered me was a "quest-compass". Now, during the prologue it was a good thing and it would be quite awkward if it wasn't there. But if the quest-compass shows NPCs as well - in other words: if it's anything near to Oblivion, then it's the sort of hand-holding I despise in *any* game.

Apart from that, there wasn't much I didn't like. Controls were absolutely intuitive - you can choose right at the beginning if you prefer keyboard or mouse and the controls change accordingly. I can't tell anything about sound, music and the voice over thanks to the Sierra booth which was around the corner, approaching the limits of their sound system. From what I saw the atmosphere was quite good - art design and level design are both great, the scripted events are well done. I didn't see much of the story, but the mood was set and although not much was shown, I already want to know more about Gerald, about what happened to him and about the Witchers (yeah, I've yet to read the books). I'm quite positive, all in all.

Deacdo

Liturgist
I want this to be a great game (it has been ages since I really got into an RPG). But considering the combat system is the most hyped aspect of the game, the recent combat trailer looked really bad. The PC looked kind of like Diablo 1. Running wildly about swinging his sword in a way that should have gotten him killed immediately (constantly putting his back to the enemy). I was expecting better animation and more tactical depth.

RGE

Liturgist
JoeDirt said:
I could barely hear what Geralt said, and having to sit and watch that card for that long was trying my patience. And where was the animalistic grunting one would've expected? :roll:

JoeDirt said:
I like the fancy swordswinging, but it does look lame when he just walks around like that while the enemies do nothing, and the Neutral-Immune NPC does even less.

fastpunk

Arbiter
The combat looks a bit clumsy but it's not unplayable so I don't mind too much. Combat is not what I'm going to judge the game by. If it really delivers on the C&C promises then it's all good. The game world seems pretty good and there's a nice atmosphere despite the stiff voice acting (at least it has a low tone to go with the game world).

Mamon

Scholar
English is my second language, so the voice acting doesn´t seem crappy to me. I am worried about the combat though.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
skyway said:
Amnesia...

Storyline already sucks.
PLANESCAPE TORMENT WAS GREAT, OKAY?!?

It's one of the less original ways to start off a story, sure, but it's not necessarily auto-suckage.

Luhh

Novice
As long as they nail the interface, I don't think it'll disappoint. I'm looking forward to this one. They have thankfully forsaken the dreaded lmb-spam style.

I detest the diablo-lmb interface, aka "oops I died cause I ran around my opponent into a swarm of enemies, instead of bashing his skull in..." :(

It's one of the few titles I'm looking forward to, and the odds of them "screwing this one up" is small, cause they have a very clear vision of what they want to do, and how to achieve that. :)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
pkt-zer0 said:
skyway said:
Amnesia...

Storyline already sucks.
PLANESCAPE TORMENT WAS GREAT, OKAY?!?

It's one of the less original ways to start off a story, sure, but it's not necessarily auto-suckage.

Amnesia in games is a plot device created to explain why the character is as clueless as
the player in the beggining of the game. See for example Ultima IX, with the Avatar asking stupid questions all the time, about things he should already know. The world of the witcher is unknow to many players, and short-term amnesia is not a bad way to introducing it to them without making the character, who has a past in that world, look like an idiot because he knows nothing about it.

Another way is to make the player live an isolated life before the game, like in Fallout or Baldur's gate, or to make him start in an unknown land.

Mamon

Scholar
Mmmm. Now that I think about it, it looks more like an action-adventure game like Okami or Zelda with stats (but without the puzzles).

LittleJoe

Arbiter
I like the look of the game, the atmosphere is dark and moody, I liked the cutscenes.
The combat looks reasonably good.
I don't think the story will be anything special.
I suspect the lore will be minimal.
The dialogue options looked a little sparse to me.
Nontheless I'm still looking forward to it, and I'll probably buy it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom