Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #14: Music with Soul

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think the music is quite good. The soft ambiance of the flute creates a transsexual paradise in your mind, while the aggressive tones introduced midway create an auditory experience reminiscent of a thousand virgin anal holes being plundered by sea pirates. The tonal inflection inspired by the background dissonance reminds you of a hot summer day on the beach, with the pleasant aroma of a dead stinking whale carcass drifting up your nostrils. While comparatively, the ambiance of the third piece is like a pleasant fart, wafting across the school grounds from an open window.

Dark underlord you're my hero.

A user named cat

These pieces of music would be great if we hadn't heard them a thousand times before. Why not do something... different? You can purchase download Kontakt or Omnisphere for FL Studio/Cubase and make this same kind of stuff with little to no composing experience. Just listen to what I slapped together on my first attempt at atmospheric *game* music, showing how easy it is to make this stuff nowadays. Nothing great but it only took about 20 minutes with a midi controller and some Izotope Ozone mastering.

A user named cat

That was nice Phantasmal, really liked it!
Ha, thanks. I wasn't really fishing for compliments, just showing how easy it's become to make this kind of music. Music software has come a long way. Omnisphere alone has over 8,000 samples to manipulate, layer and be creative with. Game composers need to stop being lazy with this typical fantasy shit, especially when even amateurs can do it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That was nice Phantasmal, really liked it!
Ha, thanks. I wasn't really fishing for compliments, just showing how easy it's become to make this kind of music. Music software has come a long way. Omnisphere alone has over 8,000 samples to manipulate, layer and be creative with. Game composers need to stop being lazy with this typical fantasy shit, especially when even amateurs can do it.

I really liked that high note/drone like thingy in the background. I always thought that Omnisphere is more suited for trance, arpeggios etc.

A user named cat

Yeah, that seems like a common misconception. People said the same thing about Refx Nexus too though and that's been my main go-to (aside from Minimonsta, gotta love Moog) for making hip hop beats and such, especially when layering. It's not Kontakt or Dimension Pro deep but still more than enough.

Anyway, Omni does have a lot of weird things that are hard to fit within a tune outside of atmospheric music but they also included plenty of dry instruments too. If you're into playing around with music, even just for fun, it's worth a go. It'd take you weeks just to even go through the library presets and see what you can do. Basically a huge toy in VST synth form. Sure beats the piss out of old, boring crap like Sampletank and Sonik Synth.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Surf Solar just found his music composer for his upcoming indie RPG :D

Indeed, Phantasmal's piece doesn't sound much different than what we've heard from the PE music so far. I actually think it's much less generic than those PE tracks.

I wish they brought mark morgan in. His PST soundtrack sounds exactly like what they say they're looking for. Not to mention he would bring more pledges.

Or maybe a mark morgan/lustmord collaboration. Now that would be something.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Although I think that music was OK for the KS trailer, the composer has to step up his game when doing stuff for PE. I think the Codex should give him a shot, and see what can he come up with to the game.

A user named cat

Wish I did have the talent to do a whole soundtrack but I'm better at the loop thing. It's become ingrained 'thanks' to working with MTV Music Generator then FL Studio.

I agree that Morgan would've been the best choice for this game or like someone else mentioned, Kirill Pokrovsky. He's done top notch for Larian.

Cipher
I reckon a soundtrack built around vocal pieces would be quite atmospheric for any RPG, and specifically would evoke the ideas they wanted to convey with PE. The PE music posted sounds as bland and pointless as generic fantasy filler can go.

The PS:T soundtrack is wonderful in how that one theme comes up throughout the game, and gains meaning and weight by association as the story unfolds.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wish I did have the talent to do a whole soundtrack but I'm better at the loop thing.

Donate some time, and work with a film maker at a local University. I learned a LOT doing a number of original movie soundtracks. It DOES require a bit of self control to not outright punch the director in the face and/or strangle them. But it is well worth it.

Hamanu

Educated
Get whoever did Daggerfall and get him some modern equipment.

Edit; Eric Heberling

benatural

Novice
Hi. This is Justin Bell.

Assuming this gets passed the moderators, first off I'd like to say DarkUnderlord. Yes! That was amazing... With that important bit out of the way, I think its worth mentioning that the music you heard in that post was written just for the trailer and its message. Some people liked that, others not as much. Either way, I will say it served its purpose and I'm happy with the result. But what I like most about threads like these is that it proves topics like this can still get a rise out of people. That in itself is pretty great.

To those of you who liked the music, thanks! To whose who are looking for a bit more depth and less cliche, we hear you...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hi. This is Justin Bell.

Assuming this gets passed the moderators, first off I'd like to say DarkUnderlord. Yes! That was amazing... With that important bit out of the way, I think its worth mentioning that the music you heard in that post was written just for the trailer and its message. Some people liked that, others not as much. Either way, I will say it served its purpose and I'm happy with the result. But what I like most about threads like these is that it proves topics like this can still get a rise out of people. That in itself is pretty great.

To those of you who liked the music, thanks! To whose who are looking for a bit more depth and less cliche, we hear you...
For me, music in games is VERY imporant, so I'm looking forward to hearing your work. I hope you will do some amazing stuff for PE.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Justin, I expect more from Obsidian with regards to the soundtrack.
This standard epic fantasy simply will not cut it. It's too generic, and there are not enough memorable parts or themes.
If you're doing location based music, then mood specific instruments (portraying timeline in social development or perhaps mood of the location itself socially) would be preferable or perhaps maybe they all follow some general instrument theme and the songs change based on location, but each song should be different enough and memorable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom