Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Temple+ * RELEASED *

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Porting to DX11 is going surprisingly smoothly to be honest.

The only remaining functionality is related to point sprites used by particle systems (functionality was removed from DX11) and downscaling screenshots. Everything else should work, except everything needs more bugtesting.

I also implemented a small number of new features:
- MSAA anti aliasing sample-count (think 2x, 4x, 8x, etc.) is now configurable, as is the quality-level. This allows NVidia CSAA to be used (and whatever AMD equivalent there is), if one knows the correct sample/quality combination for their card. Once we have better config UI in the game, this will be exposed there instead of the simple AA checkbox.
- The used Display Adapter can be configured
- Alt+Enter for exclusive mode fullscreen toggle works now
- The game window can now be resized/maximized, although this doesnt change the actual render resolution

Since the game basically looks the same (that's the point), I won't show screenshots.

Instead, here's a screenshot of the fancy graphics debugging tool we can now use:
C7zrbrH.png

Mordo

Barely Literate
I had to create an account just to write a thank you.

I have been playing ToEE since release, and I revisit it every couple of years to play with the Co8 enhancements. I started it up just last weekend and came across Temple +. Great stuff! It has never looked better or run more smoothly - the 1920 x 1080 widescreen support alone is huge. Very nice work, loving it so far.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Allrighty,

I just merged my Direct3D 11 changes into the master branch.

In addition, I added a new font rendering engine that lives alongside the vanilla rendering and is highly configurable (it can replace the original renderer on a font-by-font basis using a config-file).

Mustawd

Dumb question, but does this whole project mean you have access to the art assets (2d and 3d) of the game?

DnDPaladin

Novice
Well there's the IWD Total conversion brewing at the Co8... hope you haven't played that to death yet :P

That would be awesome if it did get released !
my only problem or i would so make games for this. is that its not easy to make a game story out of the game.
or i would so make many of them.

Mustawd

I never played IWD much because I can't fucking stand RTWP. I'd love to see the supposed good encounter designs with not shit combat

:love:

Mustawd

So...is the idea behind this that someone could build a mod of the game with new art assets like pre-rendered backgrounds and character models? Or is that outside the scope of the modding capabilities? I'm guessing the modding tools would have to be extremely robust (not just art) to handle creating new content.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...is the idea behind this that someone could build a mod of the game with new art assets like pre-rendered backgrounds and character models? Or is that outside the scope of the modding capabilities? I'm guessing the modding tools would have to be extremely robust (not just art) to handle creating new content.
Temple+ is generally unrelated to content generation, except as noted above where it exposes previously hard coded systems to modding.
Otherwise new content is already possible for most things with pre-existing tools, check out the Circle of 8.
Some things are still out of reach - in particular completely new character models and animations, which will require creating a 3d format converter / exporter plugin (future goal).

Mustawd

*scribbles "Learn 3D for new ToEE levels and characters" on his TO DO LIST*

ETA: Future

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hey Sitra Achara

Does Temple+ support splitting the game render resolution and the window resolution? It's a great feature for these older games and those of us with multiple monitors. For example, render the game in 1280x800 but the game window is 1920x1200.

Fallout 1/2 supports this with sfall, and it's a nice way to play fake fullscreen without ruining the experience.

For example, this is Fallout 1.5 rendered at 960x600 in a 1920x1200 window.

OBASfmy.jpg

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Hey Sitra Achara

Does Temple+ support splitting the game render resolution and the window resolution? It's a great feature for these older games and those of us with multiple monitors. For example, render the game in 1280x800 but the game window is 1920x1200.

Fallout 1/2 supports this with sfall, and it's a nice way to play fake fullscreen without ruining the experience.

For example, this is Fallout 1.5 rendered at 960x600 in a 1920x1200 window.

OBASfmy.jpg

Yes, you can specify whatever render resolution in the configuration and if you pick fullscreen it'll stretch to your screen size. TBH though it's a bit blurry.

If you want to display it fullscreen on a different monitor you can go into the ini file, and change the line

Code:
displayAdapter=0

Then start it in windowed mode, drag it to the other screen and press alt+enter.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yes, you can specify whatever render resolution in the configuration and if you pick fullscreen it'll stretch to your screen size. TBH though it's a bit blurry.

If you want to display it fullscreen on a different monitor you can go into the ini file, and change the line

Code:
displayAdapter=0

Then start it in windowed mode, drag it to the other screen and press alt+enter.

Thanks, though that's not what I'm talking about. When we specify a resolution in your temple+ configuration, it's rendering the game and the window at that resolution. What I'm saying is that with fullscreen disabled, I'd like to specify an in-game resolution, and a separate windowed (not fullscreen) resolution. When they aren't the same, yes it'll interpolate.

I imagine there aren't many people who would use this, but an .ini option would be nice.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane

Code:
displayAdapter=0

Thanks, though that's not what I'm talking about. When we specify a resolution in your temple+ configuration, it's rendering the game and the window at that resolution. What I'm saying is that with fullscreen disabled, I'd like to specify an in-game resolution, and a separate windowed (not fullscreen) resolution. When they aren't the same, yes it'll interpolate.

I imagine there aren't many people who would use this, but an .ini option would be nice.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention you can also tweak this in the ini for windowed mode :)

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ah yes, I forgot to mention you can also tweak this in the ini for windowed mode :)
Cool, ok.

When we use the Co8 NC patch, do we still need to tell the temple+ config utility to increase the level cap to 20?

edit: if yes, you might want to change the config utility to detect NC vs standard and adjust accordingly.

DnDPaladin

Novice
i have only question for you agris...
whats the difference between having black borders all around the window with your game int he middle compared to you having say your window in the middle and the desktop picture as borders ?

just trying to understand the point of having dual resolution as it seems utterly redundant with windowed mode.
not to mention that it seems the only real reason for having such a feature seems to be for decoration only. as in give you the "impression" of fullscreen.
why not just play it fullscreen then ? wouldn'T that give you a better impression ? and its not like its harder on the computer since this is an old game.

just wondering the use of what you ask aside from giving you a better conscience ?

i mean if i have two monitors, i just play the game on one and put everything else on the other right ?

agris

Arcane
Patron
whats the difference between having black borders all around the window with your game int he middle compared to you having say your window in the middle and the desktop picture as borders ?

just trying to understand the point of having dual resolution as it seems utterly redundant with windowed mode.
not to mention that it seems the only real reason for having such a feature seems to be for decoration only. as in give you the "impression" of fullscreen.
why not just play it fullscreen then ? wouldn'T that give you a better impression ? and its not like its harder on the computer since this is an old game.

just wondering the use of what you ask aside from giving you a better conscience ?

i mean if i have two monitors, i just play the game on one and put everything else on the other right ?
You misunderstand me. My goal is:

Play the game at a resolution lower than my main monitor's desktop with the game window occupying the entire monitor screen, not letterboxed. With that, keep 2nd monitor functionality. That's the crucial bit, otherwise I'd just play in lower res and force fullscreen.

To be clear, I don't want black bars or the game to be letterboxed. Game resolution and window resolution are actually two independent things, which is an odd concept for some. Look at the Fallout 1.5 screenshot I posted above to see what I mean. That's fallout in all it's 960x600 glory, I can see the detail in the art! Yet while it's rendered in 960x600, the window itself is 1920x1200. It's also borderless windowed mode, so I can use my 2nd monitor easily while playing and not have to alt-tab.

Allyx

Savant
Surely lowering that screens resolution in your display settings before playing would also work?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Surely lowering that screens resolution in your display settings before playing would also work?
Yep! I'm not saying there aren't any solutions, but manually changing your screen resolution every time you launch the game isn't a great option.

Allyx

Savant
No, you have made it abundantly clear that pestering other people to use thier precious time to code an option to suit you, and thus preventing you from having to spend less time than it has taken me to type this reply to change your own display settings manually yourself is a much better option.

Sitra Achara

Arcane

You misunderstand me. My goal is:

Play the game at a resolution lower than my main monitor's desktop with the game window occupying the entire monitor screen, not letterboxed. With that, keep 2nd monitor functionality. That's the crucial bit, otherwise I'd just play in lower res and force fullscreen.

To be clear, I don't want black bars or the game to be letterboxed. Game resolution and window resolution are actually two independent things, which is an odd concept for some. Look at the Fallout 1.5 screenshot I posted above to see what I mean. That's fallout in all it's 960x600 glory, I can see the detail in the art! Yet while it's rendered in 960x600, the window itself is 1920x1200. It's also borderless windowed mode, so I can use my 2nd monitor easily while playing and not have to alt-tab.

BTW you can also set lockCursor=false in the ini so you can freely move the cursor from the fake-fullscreen window to the other monitor.

DnDPaladin

Novice
agris, i have had a computer since im 7 years old, i started programming my own games since im 8. i have studied computers from inside out since im 12+ and i have even made a 2 year class in computer techs. i am now 35 going 36 soon. so yeah i know much about computers, resolutions and the likes. and i can tell you... there is no way you can watch a lower resolution at a higher resolution without losing anything ! so i think you are mistaken yourself about how resolution actually works and about what video sources are or even at a lost about what signals of video actually do.

still if the game can already do what you ask... then its all fine.

BTW, i am looking at the picture... and all im seeing are those very high resolution (1920x1080) textures being shrunk to fit a lower resolution screen.
because thats how it works actually... so basically if you want true high resolution, you need the game textures and images to already be high resolution.
because thats how it actually works... from big pictures to lower pictures is much better the going from low pictures to higher pictures.

so yeah.... that fallout game was designed to be working at much higher resolution then what you seem to think it is design for !
exemple... playing games on computers and then playing same game on mobiles. yeah that games graphics on mobiles gonna be awesome because you shrunk down the picture to fit it.
by the way... textures are now 4k resolution which is 4 times the 1920x1080 resolutions you think is awesome ! so basically games are designed to be seen on a screen with resolution of up to 7680x4320. and this is also the resolution your photos on your 8 megapixel camera on your phone does.

yeah thats why i play games on my 2k TV instead of computer monitors !

remember kids, when it comes to computer graphics... always go from higher resolutions to lower resolutions. not the other way around.

agris

Arcane
Patron
so yeah.... that fallout game was designed to be working at much higher resolution then what you seem to think it is design for

Fallout 1 came out in 1997 and supported one resolution: 640x480.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom