Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PST before Fallout

overly excitable young man

All you ever needed to know about this fucking site.
Top 70
Top 101
PST before Fallout
And guys are laughing bout Disco
Storyfagdex

This a site full of tryhards.
"Am i prestigious? Look! LOOK WHAT I'M DOING!"
And then 300 hours of Skyrim and Kingmaker on their Steam accounts.
God are y'all gay.

curds

Magister
Are you saying Fallout isn't a storyfag game? Because it is.

I love Fallout as much as the next codexer, but the emphasis in that game is very much on c&c and atmosphere, not combat, character building, etc.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Fallout == better game, and a damn good RPG.
Planescape is a lesser game [than Fallout], but a better RPG.

*No? Prove it.

Are you saying Fallout isn't a storyfag game? Because it is.

I love Fallout as much as the next codexer, but the emphasis in that game is very much on c&c and atmosphere, not combat, character building, etc.
*exploration/c&c-fag

Dude. First place on an crpg site for PST.
This isnt a well rounded rpg but a rpg which emphasized only on the text part.
That would be like saying Age of Decadence or KotC is the BEST crpg. Damn.

Jackpot

Learned
Whats the point of playing RPGs if you don't care about story?
I don't think I've played a single RPG that didn't have another non-RPG game with functionally similar but objectively better combat.

What do you play RPGs for? The fucking inventory management?

I don't think I've played a single RPG that didn't have another non-RPG game with functionally similar but objectively better combat.

What do you play RPGs for? The fucking inventory management?
to have a cause for posting on "rpg"codex

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
DotA2 has better character building, itemisation and combat than any RPG game
Compared to other genres, there's no reason to play RPGs unless you're after exploration, setting immersion, and writing.

I was playing Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and honestly the combat and character building are pretty dogshit as far as strategic or tactical complexity are concerned. They are good for immersion, rewarding acquisition of loot (which is part of exploration), but that's about it. Fallout is a storyfag game with a strong aesthetic, and even C&C is less about figuring out a complex puzzle of character building, it's just another tool for immersion aka storyfagging.
One of the most important parts of Fallout is the skeumorphic UI.

TBH combatfags are a joke because they are playing tactics against AI, now try playing dota2, a real tactical fantasy game, and see how hard ur noob a$$ gets rekt

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
To see how the character fares with the given situations they find themselves in; how their approach to life, and their abilities succeed or fail when put to the test.
(The story itself is secondary, but a good story is generally better than a bad one).
The mechanics should stand on their own, before bothering to invent a story.

Does anyone REALLY buy an RPG for the story? How can you, you don't know what it is ahead of time. But you can have a reasonable idea of the game mechanics ahead of time; either from the named rule system they use, or from the reviews.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Fallout is almost entirely combat, spiced with a few important NPC conversations; damn good ones mostly. On the flipside, PST is mostly about dialog, spiced with combats; quite the reverse.

curds

Magister
Fallout is almost entirely combat, spiced with a few important NPC conversations.
Yeah, but the combat is decidedly basic and not very tactical. It's like saying VtMB is a combatfag game because it has long combat slogs throughout the game.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
NO something that isnt at least average in its weaknesses cant be the top of the genre ffs!
PST has cool itemization, character progression with bonuses from quests and such, rewarding exploration, good graphics, great story and combat which is... I think it's ok. The animations are nice.

People trash PST for its combat. I don't.

You should though. It's horrible and the last third is almost nothing but combat.

YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif
YWGHbsX.gif

Vlajdermen

Arcane
DotA2 has better character building, itemisation and combat than any RPG game
Compared to other genres, there's no reason to play RPGs unless you're after exploration, setting immersion, and writing.

I was playing Fallout 1.5: Resurrection and honestly the combat and character building are pretty dogshit as far as strategic or tactical complexity are concerned. They are good for immersion, rewarding acquisition of loot (which is part of exploration), but that's about it. Fallout is a storyfag game with a strong aesthetic, and even C&C is less about figuring out a complex puzzle of character building, it's just another tool for immersion aka storyfagging.
One of the most important parts of Fallout is the skeumorphic UI.
If that's the case, the best RPG should be the one focused on the general setting, not the linear story. PST is just a fantasy novel crossbred with Baldur's Gate, while Arcanum is a fleshed out virtual world you get to be a part of. Think of your favourite thing about Arcanum, chances are they have nothing to do with the main story.
Hell, even KCD does this better than Torment. It's an RPG that falls apart at any close scrutiny, but it's so inviting, you can't not love it.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
If that's the case, the best RPG should be the one focused on the general setting, not the linear story. PST is just a fantasy novel crossbred with Baldur's Gate, while Arcanum is a fleshed out virtual world you get to be a part of. Think of your favourite thing about Arcanum, chances are they have nothing to do with the main story.
Hell, even KCD does this better than Torment.
My favourite RPG might actually be Avernum, because of its setting and Jeff Vogel's no-nonsense, Glen Cook-esque descriptions. Maybe Geneforge but I haven't played it through yet.
But PS:T has a strong setting too, even if it is chaotic. Recently read some fanfiction set in it, which really brought home how identifiable PST is as a vibe and a place, not just one particular story around TNO. https://planewalker.com/wings/archive/firedust.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom