Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Q&A on Fallout 3 by French magazine Canard PC

Seboss

Liturgist
From the Fallout 3 official site:
07.29.08 - Fallout 3 Nominated for Three Game Critics Awards

The Game Critics Awards judges have released their Best Games of E3 nominations. Fallout 3 received three nominations -- Best of Show, Best Console Game and Best Role Playing Game.
07.29.08 - New Award and Previews

Game Trailers has named Fallout 3 their Best RPG of E3 2008. Meanwhile, you can check out new previews of the game at TGR and MSN Editors' Tech and Gadget Blog, and Wham! Gaming.
07.28.08 - Fallout 3 Wins Big at IGN E3 Awards

Fallout 3 won Overall Best Game of Show of E3 2008 from IGN as well as Best Console Game, Best overall RPG, Best Overall Xbox 360 Game, Best Overall PS3 Game, Best PC RPG, Best Xbox 360 RPG, and Best PS3 RPG. Voodoo Extreme awarded Fallout 3 with Game of Show, Best Console RPG, and Best Console Game, and 1Up.com named Fallout 3 the Best RPG of E3 2008. Meanwhile, Daily Game awarded the game Best of Show and Best Xbox 360 Game honors.

Seems like the game did not travel well over the Atlantic.

Texas Red

Whiner
I wonder how a game can get an RPG of the Show award or whatever by only showing FPS elements.

J1M

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
I wonder how a game can get an RPG of the Show award or whatever by only showing FPS elements.
Really Pretty Game award.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Dark Individual said:
Maybe because it was the only game on E3 stamped "RPG"? Or was there something else?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Did you try to steal ? Is it like in Oblivion ? Can NPCs steal some of your gear ? Do they attack you if you miss or can you fail without creating a slaughter ?

The steal system is much like Oblivion's : crouch to sneak. Then you can see if you are visible or not thantks to an onscreen indication. If you miss, you karma drops but nobody ever attacked me, even when I tried to rob a young lady in megaton.
Burglary on the other hand, might not be to your liking : a door's name shows in red when you enter it illegaly. Any item you pick-up inside drops your karma. Even if no one notices you. All knowing NPCs, who know what you did, remind me of Boiling point and that is not a good reference.
For fuck's sake, is it that hard to use separate variables for karma and reputation? NPCs coming with Sense Alignment are not good for teh immershun.

Texas Red

Whiner
WhiskeyWolf said:
Dark Individual said:
Maybe because it was the only game on E3 stamped "RPG"? Or was there something else?

Storm of Zehir? But I guess since it's isometric and with dated graphics it got ignored. Calling F3 the best FPS when there were shown zero, absolutely zero, RPG elements is plain retarded, though fitting for professional cock suckers.

DoppelG

Scholar
Do the environment create a feeling of freedom ? Or do the maps feel "narrow" ?

A feeling of freedom, yes. Of vastness not really : exiting the vault, the view distance is a few miles deep, and ruined Washington buildings can be seen in the distance. Instinct compels you to follow the road that leaves the vault but the player is free to roam wherever he wishes.
As for me, I walked in a straight line, to get an idea of the size of the area, while regularly checking the map to see the scale of the game. During the half hour I was given to play, I casually walked about two thirds of the map's width, while doing some fighting and exploring some buildings. As Bethesda said, the game area is clearly smaller than Oblivion's.

Ugh, i fucking knew it was going to be like that.
How the fuck is it "immersive" to be able to traverse two third's of whats supposed to be a huge wasteland (wich fucking took the character weeks to traverse in Fallout, wich is the way its supposed to fucking be like) in half a fucking hour? And you know how they will try to compensate that retarded ANTI immersive flaw, namely speeding up game time WICH I HATE and/or putting in "locks that have no key" just as some of the retarded quests in Oblivion. For fucks sake, i've been saying this shit a year ago at TESF, but noooo, "Fallout 3 was going to be MUCH bigger then Fallout 1 and 2". Idiots.
(I'm assuming he's talking about worldmap)
Didn't even read the rest yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom