Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Quake II enhanced re-release by Nightdive Studios

ferratilis

Magister
Know what's the coolest thing about this remaster? They left that bethesda.net bullshit out of it, it's just a well done package of original content plus additions for modern systems, without third party bullshit. I hope this is the way going forward.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The enemies are way more aggressive now, to the point of it being wonky at times (like the blaster guard firing at you seemingly while running with no animation) and yes, some have new attack patterns or their previous "let me set up here for like 5 sec, just don't kill me in the meantime plz" behavior has been altered.

I'm also pretty sure they've actually altered the levels this time? Even in e1m1 there's this area with additional armor and crashed pods that I'm almost certain wasn't there in the original.

catfood

AGAIN
Everyone here knows I can't stand Quake 2 but this version fixes some of the issues I had with the original. For example they removed the delay that happened between when you pressed the fire button and when the weapon actually fired, and they also reduced the annoying recoil that the assault rifle had. Sadly it's still Quake 2 at the end of the day, meaning that it's the same boring enemies and the same boring environments over and over again. Overall it's a good remaster of a mediocre game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Im an Arcane Dimensions guy but Quake 2 is very underrated and has an amazing level design

randir14

Augur
You guys should play the new campaign, it's really good. And a lot harder than the others.

Ba'al

Scholar
I watched 1 minute of gameplay on youtube and saw an item(?) that displays green arrows pointing where you need to go and stopped watching.

ferratilis

Magister
I watched 1 minute of gameplay on youtube and saw an item(?) that displays green arrows pointing where you need to go and stopped watching.
No one is forcing you to use it. That's just an option for console plebs and people playing on handhelds where visibility is an issue.

Among all the shitty rereleases, we get one that's actually good, and yet someone will go out of their way to get butthurt. The way of the Codex.

randir14

Augur
The compass addition is kind of weird. They didn't include anything like that in the Quake 1 or Shadowman remasters, and Shadowman is way more confusing than Q2. It also doesn't seem to work consistently, the one time I tested it the icons led me to a button I had already pressed.

430am

Educated
Shame the on-line deathmatch multiplayer is unplayable, the lag is straight up unacceptable, rubberbanding and teleporting all over the place, and I haven't been able to finish a single match without losing connection. My internet's fine, I've completed the whole campaign with 4 friends all across Europe.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like they also released an updated version of the source code including a fairly detailed list of technical changes in the README:
https://github.com/id-Software/quake2-rerelease-dll

Good to see that idTech / Zenimax haven't completely abandoned source releases.

This isn't the full game and engine source code like id's older source releases when Carmack was still there, only the source code for the DLL that defines the game logic. They released it so that people can make mods for Quake 2 based on their engine.

DemonKing

Arcane
Played a bit this morning...loved it.

Took me a while to get used to not having an aim option or having to reload, but once I got my head around that it was smooth as butter. Plus there has never been a better soundtrack to kill things to.

Also tried the Turbo Overkill demo but have to say I'll stick to the Quake II remaster for the moment.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Played a bit this morning...loved it.

Took me a while to get used to not having an aim option or having to reload, but once I got my head around that it was smooth as butter. Plus there has never been a better soundtrack to kill things to.

Also tried the Turbo Overkill demo but have to say I'll stick to the Quake II remaster for the moment.
A what option? You mean like iron sights? Goldeneye free-aim?

Ash

Arcane
Much better than the Quake 1 remaster. Made changes that actually needed changing. fixes AI, brings over Quake 64, faster weapon swap speed etc. Impressive stuff, they didn't hold back making the AI no longer retarded. Berserker's jump attack is kind of iffy though, it's very fast, and has a lot of range, and AoE on top of that. Does jumping save you from the shockwave damage? Not played enough to confirm yet.

Compass is definitely decline, and very unneccessary in Quake 2. While the level design was decent, it was already one of the more linear and straightforward 90s FPS. I never had any issue playing this at 9 years old on my PS1 & N64 like a consoletard.

Wunderbar

Arcane
k8W2ZEl.jpg

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Compass is definitely decline, and very unneccessary in Quake 2

I've been torn on this. On one hand, i like figuring out where to go in FP/TP games and get satisfaction from figuring out the way. On the other hand every time i play the palace map i curse Tim Willits.

Yes - I think it's off by default and you have to turn it on manually. Hasn't appeared for me so far.

It isn't something you toggle, it is an item in your inventory. If you open the inventory wheel it is at the top and when you use it it drops a bunch of waypoints in the environment ala Skyrim.

Most likely it started as a debug view of their new pathfinding code and they decided to make it an item players can use.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
my dream of being the best at quake 2 deathmatch has finally been fulfilled. thanks consoletards!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom