Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Quest for Glory Retrospective at Hardcore Gaming 101

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Having never played before I would be a terrible bug reporter. I wouldn't know if something was a bug or not.

If you do not put points in a skill at creation, can I assume you can never raise that skill (for example climbing. I didn't put any points into that. And climbing a tree..... for many many times doesn't seem to do anything.).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you do not put points in a skill at creation, can I assume you can never raise that skill (for example climbing. I didn't put any points into that. And climbing a tree..... for many many times doesn't seem to do anything.).

Except for a scant few very special cases (none of them in QFG1), yes.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Playing through the game three times, once with every class (Fighter -> Paladin) is recommended, and as such don't bother putting any points into any of the 0 skills at char creation.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Or you can always play Mondblut-style, putting your points into skills you don't have each new QfG, picking up most/all the spells and finishing with an uberthiefmagepaladin with maxed everything.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah a uberthiefmagepaladin is retarded. Not my style. I'll definitely try all 3 classes and see how it goes. Still mapping out the forest.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't forget to explore everywhere during both day and night!

(the exact time during the day or night is not important, don't worry about stores that aren't open during lunchtime at noon or whatever, these games don't do that)

Stabwound

Arcane
GfQ is one of the best adventure game series ever, and gets outshined by the other adventure games of the time because it has a nameless hero and doesn't have any iconic characters like the other games.

I've never played QFG3 or 5. I have no idea why I haven't played 3, but 5 looks like it pulled the Sierra "let's make a 3D game!" bullshit and killed it off, like King's Quest and Gabriel Knight. The jump from glorious SVGA to horrific shit early 3D is just sad when you look at it today.

Is 5 at all worth trying?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Don't forget to explore everywhere during both day and night!

(the exact time during the day or night is not important, don't worry about stores that aren't open during lunchtime at noon or whatever, these games don't do that)

OK yeah. I just discovered the..... coin illusion event at night. And died horribly. <3

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
5 is kind of rushed (both literally, and due to the plot).

Still, i played it, if only because of its very nice music and nice thief paths. Paladins however get shafted iirc. Peace spamming for yet another deathless conquest yawnnn.
Also, characters get sidelined, which is a mistake. Nothing like QFG4 where most of them had funny dialogs or exclamations to your exclamations if you used the talk dialog on yourself. The event progression dialog alterations are also not comparable.

Most objects in qfg have a description or multiple ones, sometimes both for look and for use.
You can also "show" some objects to people instead of using them on the person in some cases (mostly QFG4). Just don't try it with daggers (or do).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, you should play the quest for glory 2 remake. It introduces very topical dialog and dialog parser topics to connect the series some more. Very nice.
(could be extra new things to do in the second city tho).

BTW, QfG2 copy protection is ... not so effective as it at first appears if you pay attention. It's another puzzle, not really "copy-protection".

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I never understood why people had so much trouble with Shapeir's streets anyway (if they had a map, of course). If you've ever played the 'lead the robot through the maze' puzzle in Castle of Dr. Brain, same thing. It's a matter of following directions.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't have a map and had no problem navigating QfG 2, original. Needs more spatial awareness. :smug:

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Hardcore Gaming 101 has put up a detailed multi-page retrospective article on The Quest for Glory series

Much more importantly, a while ago Hardcore Gaming 101 did put up a very nice article on Hungry Ghosts, a game I have been trying to get you fucks to play since, like, forever.

Unnie should go over there and read it if she still hasn't, given it could be argued to be King's Field meets better done Choices and Consequences than most, with a beautifully dark setting, art design, and lore to boot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom