Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Question about Gothic & Gothic 2

Koschey

Arcane
Verlass dich auf jemanden und du bist verlassen, das ist eben so.

Playing G2 without NotR is the objectively wrong choice. Slap on the Systempack or Union, and it's go-time.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Just download the games and play them, that's what I do. Haven't installed a mod or fan patch for at least a decade and it has only improved my experience because it's less fussy and the people who make mods are usually criminally insane which is reflected in their output.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You hear that a lot when you play for the first time and get into fights with enemies that almost one-shot the nameless one. Good times.

I started with NotR and I found the punishing difficulty refreshing. Finally a game that treats you like the level 1 peasant you are! Gothic 1 is probably the better game, though, and I don't see anything wrong with playing them in order.

actor

Literate
i recently finished gothic 2 with a translated russian mod which removes all of the added content from NOTR but keeps the difficulty rebalance for the base game. highly recommended- personally i'm not a fan of the epic side quest that occurs halfway through a demonic invasion of the continent. very incongruous narrative.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Was kannst du mir beibringen?

Replayed Gothic 1 before Christmas and Gothic 2 NotR several month ago as mage. Playing as mage is a bit of a pain in the arse - half of the gameplay was running around looking for beds to replenish mana. You can of course abuse the Wand bug or instal mana replenishment mod if it gets really annoying. It is still a great game even with the annoying mage mechanics.

I used these:
1721768670013.png

1721768729494.png

In all seriousness, no need to download any mods other than simple texture pack if you want it a little prettier and the community patch, all of which is on Steam workshop

JDR13

Arcane
Anyone know how to cap the framerate in Gothic 2? I'm playing on Steam with the system pack installed (Union) and the FPS are all over the place.

It'll stay at 60-fps outdoors, but indoors it shoots up to 300-400 fps. The game ignores the framerate settings in my GPU control panel and the system.ini.

Eldrin

Novice
Anyone know how to cap the framerate in Gothic 2? I'm playing on Steam with the system pack installed (Union) and the FPS are all over the place.

It'll stay at 60-fps outdoors, but indoors it shoots up to 300-400 fps. The game ignores the framerate settings in my GPU control panel and the system.ini.
The GD3D11 Renderer has an FPS-Limiter that works.

JDR13

Arcane

The GD3D11 Renderer has an FPS-Limiter that works.
Thanks. That did the job.

ShiningSoldier

Educated
I think it's really important to limit FPS in Gothic 2, because dragon's health regeneration is linked with the game's frame rate. That's why many people can't beat dragons - they regenerate health too fast on modern systems.
At least it used to be like this. Don't know, maybe the modders fixed that already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom