Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Questions for an Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Yo, mangs, I'm thinking of getting an interview with indie strategy game dude Aaron Hall and we need questions, badly in case y'know, he says yes and then we're screwed. So don't fail me guys :honor:.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
1. A/S/L?

2. Cyber?

3. How hard is it finding an audience nowadays and promoting indie strategy games? Has it gotten easier or harder in the past few years/decades/however long you've been in business (Aaron Hall googling only brings up the R&B artist - are you sure you've got the right guy Nekkid?)?

4. Well, I'd ask more questions, but I don't know what to ask - can you give us more information about him and what he does? Is he hot? Is he single? Does he cook well? Is he housetrained? etc.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Baby arm is right, that's the man. Here's some info for you jerks:
The first Space Empires game was created by Aaron Hall in 1993 as a pet project based on his love for other space strategy games such as Star Fleet Battles, Master Of Orion, Starfire, and Wing Commander. After playing around with that game, Aaron decided to add features and make this prototype a bit more playable. After a year of work, the game was interesting enough that with a little more work, it could be public worthy. In 1995, Aaron Hall formed the company known as “Malfador Machinations” to release the game Space Empires II out into the world as shareware. With primitive graphics, but a fun play style, the game was met with acclaim by fans from all over the world.

With the welcome reception it received, the next title for Malfador Machinations was clear. In 1996, the company added a new employee Russell Saito (long-time friend) to help with design and artwork. Over the course of the next 2 years, Space Empires III was developed and then released in 1997. This game had the advanced features of customizable graphics and data files, detailed ship orders, and a large galaxy play-field. Though not a widely known game, the game did very well as another shareware product. Once again, the fans were outspoken in their love for this small-shop game.

In the summer of 1998, Malfador Machinations began development on Space Empires IV. The goal was to have industry competitive graphics, a simplified user-interface, and simultaneous play capabilities. With the addition of several new artists who were fans of the game, the development pushed onward. After 2 years of development work and outstanding suggestions from their large user base, Space Empires IV was completed in July of 2000. Not only did it meet all of the original goals set for it, but it also expanded on the large feature set of Space Empires III, by adding new unit types, technologies, and political relations. Space Empires IV is the culmination of a seven year process.

Download the Space Empires IV demo, it's a damn fun game and I can't wait for V. Deathy cum Pimpkernel cum bScarlett is also a big fan of the series.

Jason

chasing a bee
Haven't played any of the Space Empires games yet. I know a lot of the Codex kids are into them, like Deathy is. I do like Dungeon Odyssey. It's an old fashioned dungeon romp somewhere between Falcon's Eye and Avernum.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Heh, you're probably one of the only people I know that likes Dungeon Odyssey.

I was thinking that one of my questions would be "Dungeon Odyssey: WHAT THE FUCK WAS IN YOUR HEAD?!?!" Too harsh?

Jason

chasing a bee
Don't put the question in all caps, otherwise it's not harsh at all. Or maybe alternate lower and upper case letters so he'll think you're one of those cool import scene Asian guys.

Despite your cruel and hurtful words, I still think DO is a fun game. The right-clicky combat isn't so great but it doesn't ruin the game for me.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
alright, they accepted and are willing to do an interview. Now we just gotta think of some questions. Hurry, dammit! This is a group effort!

LlamaGod

Cipher
I hate you, NL

YOU ARE DRIVING US STRAIGHT INTO THE GROUND

this should be in staff discussion, you jerkface

Jason

chasing a bee
You can ask a lot of general questions about indie game development, but he's probably answered them all before. For example, how has the move to 3D graphics affected the development cycle (positively and/or negatively)? How does working on an RPG differ from working on a strategy title? Do you have any plans to continue with Dungeon Odyssey even though NL hates it? What titles or developers do you see as your direct competition? Do you realize that all my questions suck? Things like that.
You can also spam a few other forums for questions if need be (Codex would be good, DAC not so much). Besides the obvious ones, I'm registered at Obsidian, Bio, and a few other ones I can't remember.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
No, I'm asking him things that most interviewers would avoid, y'know questions that involve his actual thought process rather than reading off the press release.

Here's the questions I've asked so far:

1. First off, how's Space Empires V coming along? Is everything working on schedule or have you run into any major problems? (Yeah, it's kinda general but good to know nonetheless)

2. What signifigant changes are you adding in the sequel? Is there any feature you wished you could add but couldn't?

3. Do you work on your games full-time? If so, do you feel "restricted" by it, that you need to keep giving what the fans expect in order to make a living? Does working full-time to you seem to stifle creativity and innovation by being so dependant upon your game selling?

4. How hard is it finding an audience nowadays and promoting indie strategy games? Has it gotten easier or harder in the past few years/decades/however long you've been in business? (Thanks Voodoo)

VasikkA

Liturgist
I've never heard of this guy before, but I've tried a demo of Space Empires or at least I think it was Space Empires. A shame I haven't acquainted myself with the series, as it resembles a lot of Stars!, which I absolutely love. Alright, off the top of my head:

Ask something about the SE fanbase. Do they give constructive criticism, mayhem or just go along with all the changes? Does he listen to suggestions and ideas or just do his own thing? Honest answer required.

I'd like to know something about his background in the gaming industry. Favorite games, platforms etc. How he's made his way in the industry, has he worked on any big titles?

Then the reason why he is making 'indie' strategy games. Is it the freedom or if there's something he hates about the commercial strategy game scene? Or just the usual passion and love for games?

What fundamental features does he try to implement in his games, not just the strategy ones? How does he catch the player's interest? A functional core or more hidden features, like small details that make the game world more believable.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I want some good questions used in the interview, NL.

I want unique stuff that matters, stuff that defines what our website is suppost to be (no BS, focus on the gameplay, smarty pants stuff) and stuff that isn't what you'd see used by 50 other interviewers.

Like said, I imagine he's answered many questions multiple times.

Dont do silly shit like "WHY DO YOU MAEK STRETEGIE GAMES", obviously its because he likes them or they are easy to do or whatever.

A question off the top of my head: Has he ever considered real-time strategy, if so why? what advantages does he think RTS have over turnbased and vice versa that improve gameplay (i.e. not 'its more realistic' crap)

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Good questions, guys. And don't worry, I'm not making any dumb "SO JUST HOW AWESOME IS UR GAME??" kind of questions. I'm asking him mainly about game theory and development, along with the modern gaming market and strategy games and things of that sort. Trust me, this shit will blow all other interviews out of the water.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Ask him if he'd consider picking up an established franchise/game universe to make a game.

Ask him what kind of universe is tougher to put into a strategy game.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Update: Aaron Hall still hasn't responded to my questions so either he's hard at work or my questions were just 2 tuff 4 him.

VasikkA

Liturgist
He probably made a visit to this website.

Can't you just blackmail him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom