Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

R:TW Barbarian Invasion

Levski 1912

Scholar
I'm considering buying the Barbarian Invasion expansion, and I have a question for all Codexers- is the gameplay improved in any way over vanilla Rome (or RTR mod)? Graphics don't matter, as I'll be changing all the unit textures anyway if I do buy it.

Balor

Arcane
I heard not quite. At least, much less then, say, in Total Realism. Mostly graphics goodness like night battles and whatnot, plus new campaing.
However, since I didn't play it myself - ony heard from people that did...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Barbarian invasion really does improve on rome. The hordes make for a rather vibrant gameplay (you never know whom will come knocking at your gates) and playing as the roman factions now poses some serious challenges. The ai seems a lot better on both the campaign map and the battle map. Sieges are challenging and the ai seems to enjoy making amphibious landings when you least aspect it. Other fun things are rebelling generals, the inclusion of religion and a shitload of new units. Personally I can't stand playing the vanilla rome anymore, mostly sticking to bi or rtr. But I'm anxiously awaiting what people will do with the expansion.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Trash said:
Barbarian invasion really does improve on rome. The hordes make for a rather vibrant gameplay (you never know whom will come knocking at your gates) and playing as the roman factions now poses some serious challenges. The ai seems a lot better on both the campaign map and the battle map. Sieges are challenging and the ai seems to enjoy making amphibious landings when you least aspect it. Other fun things are rebelling generals, the inclusion of religion and a shitload of new units. Personally I can't stand playing the vanilla rome anymore, mostly sticking to bi or rtr. But I'm anxiously awaiting what people will do with the expansion.
I have one question- are there more field battles? Because the constant sieges in vanilla Rome piss me off to no end.

Balor

Arcane
Well, dunno about BI vs TR, but BI + TR would surely be better then just vanilla TR or BI :).
I do with they'd make it possibe to properly implement blood and gore, btw.
Talking about realism.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I have one question- are there more field battles? Because the constant sieges in vanilla Rome piss me off to no end.

Well, that depends on your playing style eh? The campaignmap has some fewer territories, something that seems to make the fighting and aggression quite a bit harder. That and after awhile the hordes tend to come around. Personally I like to send armies out to destroy the enemy before they reach my walls, but if you're more of a turtle the sieges are probably the same.[/quote]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I always found the sim-management side of Total War to be utter bullshit. The battles were enjoyable in a mindless, kill-your-framerate kind of way, but building your empire was akin to having your testicles smashed with a crowbar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom