Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on various new and old games (indie, classics, abandonware)

Binky

Cipher
Zeno Clash (2009)

First-person asskicker. Explore the weird world of Zenozoik as Ghat, the anorexic version of Conan, while beating up freaks and family members. Short and sweet. Apart from a few times when you need to use a ranged weapon, you can just bash enemies with your fists or melee weapons. If you ever wanted to knee your brother in the face, uppercut your sister, or just pummel some cannibalistic nutjobs, then this is the game for you. Kinda wish it was longer and had more boss fights and fewer flunkies to punch. Fighting your relatives and them returning with bruises is a nice touch - leaving your mark on the world. The story is as bonkers as the setting. Heard the sequel kinda sorta sucks, but at least there's the original for all your weirdo punching needs. Not bad for a Chilean dev team.

Take your lumps
lfugUPx.jpg

0jmk2BH.jpg

eg1zQcg.jpg

C3vRSJB.jpg

dOUZ9dv.jpg

oaqoZwv.jpg

3FeWRrY.jpg

54LTxZx.jpg

NCWsoZB.jpg

fCPSTtD.jpg

hSKGBBc.jpg

Wkdheb4.jpg
Am I my brother's keeper?
EG34u2n.jpg

XDWF005.jpg

mgdrtnn.jpg

uLbFsZO.jpg

i6KTHV6.jpg

4NdTqwh.jpg

vxJ3oP8.jpg

jniRYuJ.jpg

OQacqTM.jpg

Ebrvxcb.jpg
Peanuts for Dumbo
D54s1ju.jpg

a4b03i0.jpg

68UOffi.jpg

9Lo47xM.jpg

RAVh7H1.jpg

XmaGYec.jpg

p9I6Qh1.jpg

Happy trails, partner.
56hSTND.jpg

C4Mnzp0.jpg

HDBBCfw.jpg

sM9p72n.jpg

kMu4WRg.jpg

End of the line, pilgrim.
After laughter comes pain
ozVym5E.jpg

wB5iQTR.jpg

RqTxL8e.jpg

T7qspet.jpg

vPzMVgZ.jpg

KvwXPIq.jpg

keyLkev.jpg

fItrTA6.jpg

diFwn5y.jpg

Binky

Cipher
Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim (2000)

A game where you don't need to micromanage every unit. Need something explored? Plop an exploration flag. Need something killed or destroyed? Plant an attack flag and your heroes will do the rest. None of the heroes biting? Simply raise the reward and they'll come running. Heroes have their own personalities and agendas. Some explore, others look for a good fight. Some will focus on defending your area, others will go looking for loot. The rogue is a prime example of a greedy and unscrupulous twat. An enemy planted an attack flag on one of your buildings? Guess who'll attack it. Your own fucking rogues. Don't ever need to wait for the enemy heroes to waltz in. 'Course, two can play that game. Enemy rogues destroying their own guild is very satisfying.

The game has a few pretty tough missions (especially the Northern Expansion expansion pack), which is pretty rare for an RTS. Prolly the easiest way to win a mission is by building a temple to Krolm and then just spamming Rage of Krolm until the opposition is dead and buried. With a Sean Conneryish-voiced mentor, memorable voice acting for the units, entertaining missions, and a whole lotta charm this ought to have been a long and successful series. Sadly, they botched the sequel and it all went sideways.

Heroes of might and magic
6AkDUQ8.jpg

OWSuR4Q.jpg

Wizards have the constitution of wet cardboard. "I'm melting!" - most common line spoken by them.
RNzJ4xx.jpg

qSs6Q44.jpg

D3u6e7o.jpg

yl5scYH.jpg

IfUGez6.jpg

UX5Ptr9.jpg

aAOSeQL.jpg

JEvHQwJ.jpg

jkDHx1M.jpg

Hg6YGmv.jpg

CTPk5l9.jpg

Krolm makes me stronger
oZ0eKxu.jpg

Pmwf6oW.jpg

Before Rage of Krolm.
oV2yx5n.jpg

After Rage of Krolm.
th83o5P.jpg

5g80UVZ.jpg

Ps2c1J7.jpg

92gnWMk.jpg

63TtyOh.jpg

nzz8Vnd.jpg

AnCTnhR.jpg

ZdP9SdT.jpg

Looks pretty bad, but if you've got the cash, you can just zap these beasties with chain lightning.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight (1992)

memhJxr.png

For some strange reason this game completely escaped my notice until quite recently. Bloody good fun. Nice intro & outro, animations, graphics, and a simple yet addictive gameplay - had to beat it with all four knights. Amusingly enough, the dragon wasn't my most dreaded foe. Was quite simple to beat once you figure out that you have to keep your distance. The real danger for me were those twerps with mauls who kept hammering me from both sides and leaving me unable to do anything. Gotta love the acquisition scroll. Had the keys, the sword of sharpness, and the moonstone nabbed from me by my cunning rivals.

Slash and chop
nIdh8Rw.png

0d2dkuu.png

TdNKmeR.png

I hate these lurking instakill twats.
pL93lP5.png

o4xglGS.png

e3rE4JK.png

4XbOCac.png

Sneaksie thiefsie.
zY4HBky.png

Goddamn grifter. His power is always "weak this week."
Zx7Kn0M.png
Recharge your batteries at Stonehenge
DrLETnd.png

5ODS1aQ.png

gqvBn3L.png

eBO98Pd.png

tuhkJJw.png

Ribbit.
YustvYV.png

Is dragon flesh edible?
kCPoF17.png

DsGnrAn.png

qhVWYZV.png

MQ3q2Mh.png

Epic.

Kept getting flashbacks of Battle Chess...

...and A Bastard's Tale
dBURnKq.png

1qETbjR.png

Qg2FMNA.png

Id2kMgz.png

RhU9KoW.png

2vKZP69.png

Rlvpmuq.png

vmYrLMK.png

J1P0R9A.png

aEHa0Ao.png

moonstone is a cult title

Binky

Cipher
Zeus: Master of Olympus (2000)

I'm a big fan of Impressions' city builders. Zeus is the easiest and most dumbed down of the bunch, but it has some features I like quite a lot.

I could build up a massive army in Caesar III. Any invasion by the unwashed hordes on my cities ended in them getting slaughtered by my ballista towers, the spirit of Mars, and my legions. Thing is, your army just sits there on its ass. Sure, you can provoke Seezur and stomp his legions when he sends them to discipline you and get some kudos from the peepool back in Rome. But you can't go on the offensive. This changes in Zeus, where you can raid, conquer, bully, gift, or help other cities. Hell, you can send heroes and others along with your troops when you go a-pillaging. And you can conquer your allies and make them vassals too.

"…you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
- Thucydides

Gone too are the massive monuments of Pharaoh. The sanctuaries of Zeus are quite quick and easy to build. One thing I don't miss when playing Zeus is the spamming of festivals. If you build a sanctuary to a god, you get the benefits. End of story. Previously, gods were old school. Worship or suffer. The gods in Zeus are like a whiny, needy girlfriend. "Why won't you worship me? Puhleese worship me! I'll bring you so many benefits if you worship meeeeeee…" Zeus is also more cartoony and fantastical. You've got heroes, gods, and monsters prancing around. Nothing quite like seeing Zeus stomp some god and then blessing a dairy.

Instead of starting from scratch every episode, you now continue building up a single city over the course of several episodes + setting up a colony/colonies. This could be great if you would face more natural disasters, invasions, and challenges in later episodes. As it is, it's fairly trivial even on the hardest setting. You have plenty of resources and lots of room to build. The roadblock introduced in Pharaoh is here to stay and makes your life much easier. No more watching the tents go to palaces and vice versa when a walker goes on a distant ramble. Housing is divided into elite and common ones. Common provides the stone-throwing militia, while elite gets you hoplites/cavalry. Though, in large numbers, the militia can bring down even monsters.

Thankfully, the game doesn't have the silly feng shui of Emperor.

The club of Hercules
pdoKo7l.png

B2Oie95.png

Gonna get yer heads bashed in, boyos.
pvUg3O7.png

1GDAKS9.png

RHsLqkc.png

reuvK0D.png

RRGDwCF.png

hAadCbD.png

Cu9sVNO.png

No worries, they'll be vassals soon.
Man alive, you can't have a city without wine!
1AprOOZ.png

HXmSwru.png

CdUVjlF.png

mlOT2ua.png

aQc1eYB.png

AUYjdNH.png

FCSdIMn.png

L2hE0Kl.png

4cVF7aD.png

jjlVsG7.png
Build me a pyre to roast my friends upon
ACjpGLZ.png

a5KIuK1.png

JwnYVmd.png

I stoned this doofus to death twice when he showed up. Took a while, though.
4Pu7GHC.png

oTzJrDP.png

98Z1gAE.png

M9eUyq3.png

cu6fKsy.png

3k6yWX3.png

0RmdeGf.png

I still fondly remember Caesar III's African missions where the buildings would spontaneously combust.

Binky

Cipher
Hammer of the Gods (1994)

bl19Hul.png

While I wait for MRY to finish Fallen Gods (aaany day now), I thought I'd revisit Hammer of the Gods for some vikingy pillaging. Four races vie for the favor of the gods. The gods' quests vary from race to race. Some demand you raze cities, some want you to explore, others request you vanquish monsters, etc. Once you finish a god's quest, you get goodies: magic items, heroes, powerful units like the fire giant or wizard. This is a great concept, but alas, the quests are fairly quickly done, with the exception of Odin's victory one, where you kinda sorta have to take over most of the map to fulfill the conditions anyway. More focus on sucking up to the gods and more of the nice but rare art would make this game much better. Beat it with elves and humans on the historic map, with humans being the best faction, since they're located smack dab in the middle of Scandinavia and can get anywhere fairly quickly via ship. Whereas trolls are stuck in the arse end of Russia and take forever to get anywhere. How come? You can only recruit units in your capital. Tried a random map. Generated a huge landmass with barely any water. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. Movement in hills, forests, and mountains is slow even if you build roads. You can also erect castles that will send units to attack nearby enemies. A neat trick is to build large castles near rival cities. Rival declares war on you? Your castles will attack and raze those cities to the ground or at least weaken them enough so you can take them over with your units. Also, when a hero croaks a valkyrie carries them off to Valhalla to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries. Outstanding.

Jötunn
JZaFtd2.png

ECUcdgg.png

kHg9QRR.png

Have at thee, sea dragon of Christ!
DjQGw7X.png

Weapons of war: sword, spear, bow, axe, and drumstick.
mcWCLqi.png

Nice rack.
puQeDC9.png

UFE5JSB.png

knBs2sj.png

HGg8HVL.png

xLJhZgR.png

B1SbpFY.png

5xToRyv.png
From Reykjavik to Miklagard
bjLIt9j.png

NurxNHL.png

h3A01L5.png

AcG56gt.png

pbv8ETR.png

wNqYgV8.png

Jk8HawH.png

ZAc2fC3.png

06QFGNs.png

Ag7gzpb.png

8JwRHBC.png

Last edited:
looks like you crave for obscure titles. let's see if i can pull some from my memory.

metal masters.
rome: pathway to power
imperium
infestation
and i'd have liked to add a game whose interface was slightly similar to captain blood's but even i can't remember its name.
edit: found. eco phantoms.
no idea what kind of game it was, it's here just for obscurity's sake.

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Dink Smallwood (1997)

Either the best thing since soft toilet paper or a steaming pile of shovelware garbage. It basically depends on whether you like the humor or not. A perverted pig farmer sets out to be a hero. He punches inanimate objects, he makes crude sexual remarks, he's an all-round asshole, he kills monsters. The game is pretty short and can be beaten in a few hours. Rivals King of Dragon Pass as one of the most duck-filled games. Gameplay, graphics, and music are not exactly top-notch, to put it mildly, but you can sniff out some hidden areas via exploring, including an island of bloodthirsty giant ducks (of course!). I do appreciate some completely optional stuff that gives you absolutely no exp, since it's not really a quest or anything - like solving your aunt's domestic abuse situation (permanently).

Pig farming 101
vHBgLX6.jpg

hZQwJlF.jpg

au97aYg.jpg

DPWoTxC.jpg

quhtWeM.jpg

6f43KKR.jpg

VzzYRy8.jpg

N9ibMqB.jpg

d1jcsMs.jpg

6omSfgw.jpg
The Mighty Ducks
mwxgnEI.jpg

tadrTTK.jpg

IFy9cG5.jpg

sPean9d.jpg

llBRCzg.jpg

FRr2dNl.jpg

3cOwAfB.jpg

W8VU8DS.jpg

Arguably, one of the greatest sentences in gaming.
cARwMx5.jpg

RL3ZEDi.jpg
I would do anything for you, DDC
K0cpaB2.jpg

8G9ZbmC.jpg

SsnK99a.jpg

YGVj1tq.jpg

sZ51JCw.jpg

elMbzQ2.jpg

fNDp90k.jpg

orekYkp.jpg

ZDOwjyk.jpg

YnRZNBQ.jpg
For king and country
MzVOfEl.jpg

VL97r6J.jpg

5L3B7LC.jpg

nSE9ues.jpg

1WfDw5e.jpg

R4bdmP2.jpg

H1bhFva.jpg

Bdqbn3N.jpg

RZ57qlU.jpg

eKV9nsC.jpg

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Zeno Clash (2009)

First-person asskicker. Explore the weird world of Zenozoik as Ghat, the anorexic version of Conan, while beating up freaks and family members. Short and sweet. Apart from a few times when you need to use a ranged weapon, you can just bash enemies with your fists or melee weapons. If you ever wanted to knee your brother in the face, uppercut your sister, or just pummel some cannibalistic nutjobs, then this is the game for you. Kinda wish it was longer and had more boss fights and fewer flunkies to punch. Fighting your relatives and them returning with bruises is a nice touch - leaving your mark on the world. The story is as bonkers as the setting. Heard the sequel kinda sorta sucks, but at least there's the original for all your weirdo punching needs. Not bad for a Chilean dev team.

Take your lumps
lfugUPx.jpg

0jmk2BH.jpg

eg1zQcg.jpg

C3vRSJB.jpg

dOUZ9dv.jpg

oaqoZwv.jpg

3FeWRrY.jpg

54LTxZx.jpg

NCWsoZB.jpg

fCPSTtD.jpg

hSKGBBc.jpg

Wkdheb4.jpg
Am I my brother's keeper?
EG34u2n.jpg

XDWF005.jpg

mgdrtnn.jpg

uLbFsZO.jpg

i6KTHV6.jpg

4NdTqwh.jpg

vxJ3oP8.jpg

jniRYuJ.jpg

OQacqTM.jpg

Ebrvxcb.jpg
Peanuts for Dumbo
D54s1ju.jpg

a4b03i0.jpg

68UOffi.jpg

9Lo47xM.jpg

RAVh7H1.jpg

XmaGYec.jpg

p9I6Qh1.jpg

Happy trails, partner.
56hSTND.jpg

C4Mnzp0.jpg

HDBBCfw.jpg

sM9p72n.jpg

kMu4WRg.jpg

End of the line, pilgrim.
After laughter comes pain
ozVym5E.jpg

wB5iQTR.jpg

RqTxL8e.jpg

T7qspet.jpg

vPzMVgZ.jpg

KvwXPIq.jpg

keyLkev.jpg

fItrTA6.jpg

diFwn5y.jpg

BRO YOU OFFICIALLY GET BIG UPS

THIS GAME IS ONE REASON MY FAGBOX 360 IS STILL PLUGGED IN

BRO LOLLLLLOL LOLOL I LOVE THAT THE ANTAGONIST IS FATHERMOTHER

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THAT REMINDS ME FIRST PERSON HAND TO HAND GAMEA ARE RARE

ZENOCLASH 1 AND 2
RIDDICK
CONDEMNED 1 AND 2

ANY OTHER GAMES DO IT WELL

Riskbreaker

BRO THAT REMINDS ME FIRST PERSON HAND TO HAND GAMEA ARE RARE

ZENOCLASH 1 AND 2
RIDDICK
CONDEMNED 1 AND 2

ANY OTHER GAMES DO IT WELL
Action Doom 2?
There really ain't that many of them.

Binky

Cipher
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth (1995)

DgxHYgq.png

Avenge your teddy bear in this bonkers adventure. Made by Cocktel of Gobliiiiiiiiiiiiins fame. Some tough puzzles, some horrible voice acting (at least in the English version), a unique setting, some funny moments, and some cool ideas. I didn't really like it at first, but as I played on it grew on me - especially when you get the fast travel gizmo. You get this thingie a bit too late and I would have probably dropped the game without it since there's quite a lot of backtracking. Since Wooruff is a kid aged by technology, he needs to learn to read first… and get some shoes. Watching the weather report to solve puzzles is a nice twist and using the glyph formulas was my favorite part of the game.

Some running gags are the taxman who pops up everywhere to pester you about the breathing tax and whatnot, and the bouzouk master who teaches you how to wiggle your ears and other useless skills.

A garden of delights
eWJ6miu.png

oNhO9xi.png

0FjGytT.png

bHpqUW8.png

QO17XlI.png

PuENGRn.png

2B9uCLR.png

8n9aXgJ.png

OBJjw17.png

0J9GME9.png

ezy1P2M.png

WnZoljl.png
Night of the long noses
7Z6rMTz.png

x430w7x.png

6XOvipE.png

ZCIi5fb.png

qcfiq43.png

iUHwW09.png

vmeQ383.png

5hSzdoC.png

UYDEXYl.png

Uo7SPZc.png

eU4MKVX.png
Snouts or tails
mKWJ5fF.png

4AWrLJo.png

ggmaW0y.png

OgR99A9.png

H3EInAE.png

gn2Vm0x.png

WrWNWwz.png

vZpcxQl.png

djP0Xi9.png

Rilp6hu.png
Labor relations
MOak55r.png

R2QoWps.png

cr7HY2F.png

NIFVtK4.png

Oa5QwoM.png

w50mAD4.png

BuwOavA.png

m9gjSIb.png

c4RrkeL.png

N1vrvgV.png

9XdTK68.png

tubXgy7.png

Binky

Cipher
Rise of the Dragon (1990)

Blade Runner inspired adventure. Help William "Blade" Hunter (real subtle) foil the Chinese mob from fulfilling an ancient prophecy (ugh). The chosen one has three days to delay and then stop the scumbags. The prophecy nonsense aside, the game's got a great setting. The city is a dump and the adventure starts out in our hero's tiny run-down apartment. There's radiation, poverty, scarcity. Stuff like organic roses costs big bucks and chocolate is a luxury item. There are several ways to overcome obstacles, different endings, a few arcade sequences, lots of ways to screw up, and plenty of deaths. Hell, you can see your first game over screen in the first minute. Since every action you take takes time and your time is limited, you have to be careful not to dawdle. Take too long snooping around a place? Get busted by the cops. Fiddling around in the sewers? Get devoured by a pack of rats. Sit on your ass for days? The fair citizens of Los Angeles get brutally killed by drugs pumped into the water system. And finally, miss the date with your squeeze? Her help is vital in solving the case. You're screwed, buddy.

Fortune cookie wisdom
j2RRTfj.png

FTFLPAD.png

zNzp4lz.png

iDtGYoN.png

Sweet
ksQ5XOH.png

Bad idea.
oz7mWzy.png

9MthDwm.png

CltFrYJ.png

npRPkfO.png

oA6EPOc.png

5Yovpai.png

Pc0a4in.png

2oJULfG.png
Kinda like a nicotine patch
N50bPtU.png

R1uPOQB.png

6OF48AK.png

RQ1MnNI.png

OWSITBG.png

tXfE4tM.png

HCnkJtV.png

jHTZcfx.png

hBdHXQg.png

KlnskoM.png

Je5HrHi.png

dNEfALe.png

mlHelkC.png
Matters of the heart
GgIe1fc.png

Uh-oh...
Czd9Kla.png

Better
I9ER2FR.png

Well, can't have everything
t2HvBg9.png

3u3NVfL.png

q1LqhMf.png

Bu9Fikw.pngž

t5hD46Z.png

jzWGhLU.png

dckIQ25.png

rUnnj8v.png

f0Mo8XD.png

Iej5dJR.png

IdG3AaF.png
Hail Bahumat
NXAIOu2.png

uPhnXR4.png

EoMjuko.png

2K2Pi1t.png

g1P5bHo.png

Alas, your sweetheart can also die due to your incompetence
9poTeH4.png

Smooth
IaMzHcB.png

JoTZJPD.png

Ir8G1dx.png

qM9f4uh.png

Z39vpbb.png

BJ8fxOv.png

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Random Amiga Mix 2

Lost Dutchman Mine (1989)

5VCmxCH.jpg

Lead an old coot to that sweet, sweet gold. Bandits, redskins, wildlife, heat, and itchy underwear stand in your way.

Hello Mr. Pocket
xXczFAB.png

BkqKo6i.png

008WhlI.png

JjWIzK0.png

vGFoJ8e.png

FhhR1bf.png

5Ji4V87.png

Tk4HCjD.png

rErEU59.png

EQnVPw8.png

qTaEfip.png

Damage: The Sadistic Butchering of Humanity (1996)

A game made by some Finnish misanthropes. Take control of a nut in his quest to take out as many people as possible. From bashing schoolkids and old ladies with a baseball bat to shooting cops and soldiers with a Gatling gun. You can also wreck cars and tanks - a rocket launcher is just what the doctor ordered. Drugs help you but they can also fry your brain. Thought you have to kill a certain number of people or wreck some area. Not so. You merely have to find a way through the sewers and crawl up a toilet to the president's place. Then you start WW3 by launching nukes. Edgy.

Sewer shark
bfHP0yO.png

Quj9WO3.png

t273MSz.png

1ISjjFr.png

UNiluEc.png

w82TU7Y.png

p7ifzg6.png

brN4gXn.png

LVY8wUe.png

3QUXwDY.png

yM3zZW6.png

kfXr0AI.png

Y8thPJe.png

Rojccd3.png

Fightin' Spirit (1996)

Freddie Mercury with a monocle, a tiger hybrid on steroids, a dinosaur, a cia secret agent/dolphin instructress, Tong Po, and friends fight in this hilarious asskicker made by Italians. Every fighter has four special moves, including beast spirits like tiger, puma, cobra, scorpion, and er... dolphin. Not exactly original or hard. In fact, the final boss is one of the wussiest bosses I've fought in any fighting game. While the tiger hybrid is good if you just want to steamroll everyone, and Tong Po was my favorite fighter, the absolute best story has to be the guy who joins the tournament to help his dolphin wrangler ex-fiance and kicks the stuffing out of her during the tournament. I found it weirdly entertaining, but then again, I'm easily amused. Even the tigers cry in this game.

Face meet fist
69keTMJ.png

eEYhk0w.png

tY5XWdr.png

ZeqFVZv.png

hYJDidz.png

E4GMRkk.png

NZdWwtr.png

Z8YpNPy.png

CfaqNAf.png

E09dgpc.png

oknooaR.png

QXlF8a2.png
It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
S5MClYW.png

7KJNTRn.png

yKha47B.png

ST0PsRB.png

t2M9WEq.png

qS8rXCR.png

ZZZoGIH.png

XChcYwa.png

FVZuKp8.png

AuaOdsV.png

dgGLMRp.png

Binky

Cipher
Future Cop: LAPD (1998)

Cthulhu cultists, cyborgs, psychos, mutants, heavily armed criminals, rogue AI... just another day in Los Angeles. X1-Alpha serves and protects by blasting anything that moves. Submarines, tanks, battleships, drones, or dropships are all there, just begging to be shot with your arsenal of death-dealing goodies. There are two modes: the hovercar and the bipedal mech, but I mostly used the mech. You got three weapons types and you can change your loadout before starting a mission. There are eight missions in total, so you can beat the game pretty quickly. The most annoying part of the game are the jumping sequences. Imagine ED-209 from Robocop jumping around. Almost all deaths I've suffered involved platforming. The enemies, including the bosses, aren't much of a challenge. Wish there was more customization of your mech, kinda like the upgrades in One Must Fall.

Stay out of trouble
jC6Nvci.jpg

Ir6FaLJ.jpg

LtQtT02.jpg

bYdrYvp.jpg

bdZBFhR.jpg

WwEeb3n.jpg

81mxXjy.jpg

XHh0fkk.jpg

9NGcb0W.jpg

wKC1cgo.jpg

QXcma0r.jpg

wMgSZhH.jpg
Police brutality
lxTJVDc.jpg

WmtBvNY.jpg

5TIoItT.jpg

ACMzZkg.jpg

MHiQGax.jpg

R5jJt5d.jpg

4C3GCco.jpg

9RLjdcm.jpg

Vf47qeM.jpg

7sa9Tox.jpg

zbMV1hy.jpg
Good cop, bad cop
4HQ6gEw.jpg

Og5IhMg.jpg

8M6Az3d.jpg

kyf7rrQ.jpg

C3yX9GO.jpg

sdp9Jcw.jpg

LZyet2B.jpg

dI2mGdR.jpg

Gys8niW.jpg

DamXm2r.jpg
Also, for more vehicular carnage can't go wrong with Interstate '76.

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
Fantasy General (1996)

WR5Bci2.png

Out of the hex general games, this is the one I always come back to. Plenty of reasons for that. Death animations, music, and sweet drawings provide nice flavor. The campaign has fixed and random battle maps, you can choose your battles, some of the four heroes have different unit types (mortal, mechanical, beast, magic). All this means that every playthrough can be a bit different. Can go with all mortal units, a mix of beast and mechanical, mortal & magical, etc. Centaurs fighting samurai, floating castles, wizards causing earthquakes, heroes, and powerful single entity units like giants and dragon turtles. Lovely. They went a bit overboard with the knight units, though. Dragon knights, ogre knights, phoenix knights, centaur knights, rhino knights, …

While the story is the "go stomp the evil overlord" type, the islands themselves have a nice variety of terrain and enemy unit types. You've got dense jungles, frozen wastes, volcanic hellscapes, nice open plains for those cavalry charges. I'm a fan of the third island with its mountains and jungles. There aren't any brilliant victories and the like, but if you're swift you do get some additional battles where you can get some pretty useful benefits, be it mechanical troops, the ability to repair said troops, powerful artifacts, heroes, and abilities like moving through forests and mountains easily - a real game-changer.

There aren't any weather woes or supply problems. Archers never run out of arrows, no need for fuel for your mech troops. I'm big on air units and skirmishers - great for scouting and finishing off units. On the other hand, I almost never use siege units or spellcasters. Too damn slow and of limited use. Sure it's fun to watch artillery pound the defenders of a castle while your heavy infantry storms in. Getting them into position? Good luck. Also, those spellcasters with the firestorms, whirlwinds, and whatnot? Weak as kittens, slow, don't do enough damage. You always start a campaign map on the edge of an island and have to fight to the other edge. A job for the marines. So many different unit types and no damn marines. If you play well, you have tons of cash, elite units, and all research done. This makes the last two islands a slog. Doubly so because the AI has the habit of pulling elite troops out of its ass. Approach a barely defended city? Next turn, five elite sky hunters will appear. Haha, fuck you.

OST

From the Halls of Orc King Dragga
pdamjaE.png

bRwJBPc.png

NqVslT3.png

XIW0UDh.png

KB2sjrd.png

5dAl9Y5.png

bfKA7Z0.png

hemHwKL.png

TB5ifby.png

6PbTgvj.png

Ivytx7h.png

ibPGTUS.png

D8IrXH1.png
To the Vale of the Shadowlord
rwE8zaW.png

bhlfUN0.png

yFZoOif.png

VH4MZXb.png

BnFggmU.png

W8fKTrL.png

Keeping this dude alive till the end was one of my priorities.
TrHliPk.png

5LfGmd0.png

7lmtdQZ.png

tzpKiEZ.png
We fight our country's battles
XH7xLgt.png

bqAn0z1.png

sf5FzQd.png

f01u9rs.png

Aw4Nxb4.png

VL4bU63.png

DuMWp6t.png

No7qdW3.png

8KQGhW5.png

EDH6zVf.png

wl8yyPT.png

VN4kIZh.png
In the air, on land, and sea.
onUjRoX.png

4YQX3jX.png

xn0O79l.png

uYRb5LZ.png

uFdkmIh.png

MVdHvjc.png

iuZqWU1.png

e91eCAX.png

Y2NBlXJ.png

Also, World War II has been done to death, but People's General provides a fresh conflict. China decides to go on a rampage and tries to snag Siberia, Korea, and Southeast Asia. Pretty sweet invading Vietnam as the Chinese and mentioning their ancient hostility and rivalry. The main campaigns are either trying to lead the Chinese to victory or trying to reverse their successes as the US-led UN troops. There are also some mini campaigns like Vietnam trying to become the biggest fish in the small pond.

Last edited:

Binky

Cipher
The Dark Eye (1995)

43857-the-dark-eye-macintosh-front-cover.jpg

The “Red Death” had long devastated the country. No pestilence had ever been so fatal, or so hideous. Blood was its Avatar and its seal—the redness and the horror of blood.
- Edgar Allan Poe - The Masque of the Red Death

The usual Poe stuff is on display here: illness, insanity, murder, terror, and being buried alive. You stroll through a run-down house, start hallucinating, then have nightmares. There are three nightmares based on Poe's stories. You play them twice. Once as the victim, once as the perpetrator. The perpetrator stories were the best. The guy voicing Montresor in The Cask of Amontillado was just crooning with delight as he put his revenge into motion. The killer in the Tell-Tale heart loses his cool and the rest of his sanity after gloating about committing the perfect crime. Finally, the murderer in Berenice becomes so unhinged and obsessed with his fiancee's pearly whites, that he starts hallucinating them everywhere and mumbles "Teeth" every five seconds.

Not much of a game and the controls and triggering events annoyed me so much that I think I'd have more fun if I just watched a longplay on Youtube. I'm not big on cover art, but this is one of the few that stuck in my mind over the years.

No one provokes me with impunity
BfcWYrf.jpg

h0ewCwB.jpg

ps5GHlL.jpg

1L2yU8c.jpg

OVadXej.jpg

lD2WtsT.jpg

sSN1rSB.jpg

YJYPxve.jpg

RobrH4z.jpg

IBVQFY7.jpg

5EWRnXB.jpg

TRgUj9i.jpg
The conqueror worm
tXXhcjC.jpg

bcjIZSq.jpg

koCZUHr.jpg

otSmNdS.jpg

6ttDPZ7.jpg

ZKCw8sG.jpg

v6gqpv9.jpg

uoozkJD.jpg

ZqFiwvH.jpg

c8zvks9.jpg

Q0wy1o5.jpg
Nevermore
MwkIXO4.jpg

TPFi7hM.jpg

lSRfk4N.jpg

XNmsgAe.jpg

hVg9gCL.jpg

BsGSBZQ.jpg

YEXWkV7.jpg

Yx9BrSo.jpg

02vwJsH.jpg

F9Y3WSI.jpg

2ydjTFq.jpg

T4HggZH.jpg

F5EpktX.jpg
He had come like a thief in the night
Gs7jolN.jpg

6Siwmrp.jpg

rahoppZ.jpg

uaR0cZS.jpg

CUj6vwF.jpg

eSqOeP7.jpg

NeyoJ0o.jpg

UAs5MN7.jpg

t6Aypa8.jpg

Wy2cXTC.jpg

3hyJQle.jpg

Ag9cPzJ.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom