Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recanted: DragonAge is officially shit

Re: DragonAge is officially shit

bobisimo said:
Can I imagine Planescape: Torment on the Xbox 360? It's not unrealistic to consider.

Cursor-based interface. Pad.

DA on consoles: Ported, not simultaneous development. Irrelevant.

aboyd

Liturgist
skyway said:
- Charge! For the forces of good!
- I don't care! Attack
- I will attack our enemies for a price.
That gives me a headache, just looking at it.

Mareus

Magister
It's still too early to say if the game will be bad or good, but from what BIO has been feeding us, I would say this actually starts to look promising despite the fact it will be ported to consoles, which may not mean much anyway. And BIO is not a lying corporation like Bethseda. Also I liked all of their games so far, and BG trilogy was a masterpiece. If they are really going down that path, it can only mean good stuff. I didn't like the video because humans charge at the enemy instead of waiting behind the walls and using archers. I mean if the plan is to open the gates and charge at the enemy, it is a very stupid plan. But hopefully BIO will explain that through the game.

sabishii

Arbiter
Thank God, now I can ignore F3 but still have some kind of RPG to discuss/think about.

The only thing that worried me in the preview is the "shield stun then assault" thing. It sure sounds good but hopefully won't turn out too twitchy, which would be annoying when controlling multiple characters. If there is a queue-up system then it would be fine, for example.

I really liked the magic & the environment example. If this is incorporated into a large number of instances and not just the scripted few, it could perhaps be one of the better magic systems in gaming because it is outside of the typical box where magic is only used for damage, healing, and status effects.

Suicidal

Arcane
Atrokkus said:
You fucking dumbasses. The fact that it is *PORTED* to consoles (from PC) means nothing.

What he said. They are not making a multi-platform release, they are just going to port it to consoles later. As long as the PC version does not suffer for it I really don't give a shit where it goes.

Also, isn't CDprojekt making a console port for The Witcher? I don't see anyone bitching about that.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
"the Blight, an evil infestation that appears to be the side-effect of the presence of an arch demon."

Lololololol Morrowind.

But anyway, the game looks promising.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
I can imagine the reaction of some Codexers have the same game was being developed by Obsidian:

"Obsidian yes!. They'll save PC rpg-hardcoreness all by the themselves. Console whut? Who cares. It's coming to the PC first and that's what really counts. Avellone is GOD!"

Maybe in a dream world. In the real world Obsidian are just a bunch of hacks that will only create a game copying a previous Bioware one and having their work cut out for them. But it's not that bad, if DA turns out good we can hope for a half-decent sequel to it by Obsidian.

spiwak

Novice
Apparently what they meant, according to some nobodies at IGN, is that they may port it to consoles at some point. At the moment they are designing it solely for the PC....apparently.

In any case, I'm with the latter half of the thread.

Letum Fol

Novice
You are officially shit. Just because they're porting it to consoles doesn't say anything for the game's quality. Anyway, when they say Mass Effect-like dialog do they mean with the whole wheel thing? Coz that might actually make it shit.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
The article I linked to at the start of this thread had a quote that was taken out of context. If that quote were true, I would stand by my original statement. In light of bioware's clarifications, I am guardedly optimistic about the game. It sounds like they have some solid ideas, but it remains to be seen if the combat in the game will actually warrant the good control scheme. NWN2: MOTB has a decent tactical combat camera, but the combat itself is too much of a clusterfuck for it to matter. Dave is saying that the game is "more hardcore than post BG games but won't be hardcore enough for some" so it remains to be seen what combat will really be like. If the story is good, character customization is interesting, and combat is actually fun again, then this really could be a return to form for Bio.

Regarding the Witcher port, no company I know of has provided the level of support to their fans that CDProjekt has with TW. They've earned some slack for that, at least from me. If Bio really develops DA ignoring consoles and then ports it later, then I won't begrudge the port. But if anything is compromised either to run on the consoles or to appeal to the younger fans, then Bio will deserve all the shit they get for that decision. Here's hoping DA can be better than the console games, and the toolset with a placeholder campaign that was NWN1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom