Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a game to Play for your Pleeeasssssurrre.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
(I wasn't sure what forum to put this on. If it needs to be moved, I apologize.)

Codexians,

I have a problem... a condition really. Usually when I get a long vacation I have grand ideas of playing a game from my backlog, or a game I see other people playing here that looks fun, or at least interesting. Usually though I just hem and haw, going back and forth, undecided, crazy, and ultimately, without playing a game. I never commit.

Not this year my unruly fellows!

Starting on the evening of December 26th, I will have SEVEN days of freedom (minus wife and baby time)! SEVEN GLORIOUS DAYS! This year will be different! I will enlist the aid of you...yes, YOU!

I want you to recommend me a game, that I will document the playthrough, maybe even making a Let's Play out of it. I will share my thoughts, frustrations, and joys as I play through the game.

That's right, if you woke up this morning asking yourself, I wonder what Anthony Davis thinks of <some game>, and let's be honest, who HASN'T woke up wondering that, now's your chance.

I don't care if it's old or new. Want to see me play Dragon Wars? Sure. Want to see me play Fallout New Vegas? Sure thing. Want to see me play Legacy of the Ancients? You got it.

Here are the rules:

0. It has to be a PC or DosBox game.
1. It has to be a game that I can actually finish and ideally one that can be finished within 40 to 60 hours.
2. It has to be a game that I own of that I can purchase.
3. I am open to RPG, Strategy, Simulation, or Adventure... or any combination.
4. You can pick a game I have already played, as long as it is not Wizardry 4. I'm never playing that game again.
5. I will not use a walkthrough or a FAQ, but if someone posts something during the Play Thread, it's on you.

Whichever game has the most votes, wins. In the case of a tie, the most compelling case will win.

I'm rolling the dice here, either you guys or going to come through or this thread will go down in flames.

Ashery

Prophet
...What about a game you were part of the dev team of? The Kohan series always needs some love. Throwing in some dev commentary would make for some solid content.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you LP it, please don't do a video. You'll be much less boring if you're not rambling live.

I'd say any Obsidian RPG you haven't really got to sit down and play leisurely, for the maximum dev commentary.

Gregz

Arcane
Whichever of these you haven't played:

Wizardry 8
Master of Magic
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
...What about a game you were part of the dev team of? The Kohan series always needs some love. Throwing in some dev commentary would make for some solid content.

Kohan always needs love, but I never worked on it. TimeGate finished those games long before I went to work there.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
If you LP it, please don't do a video. You'll be much less boring if you're not rambling live.

I'd say any Obsidian RPG you haven't really got to sit down and play leisurely, for the maximum dev commentary.

Hmmm. It is easier to say which Obsidian games I have played casually:

Fallout New Vegas
Dungeon Siege 3

All the rest I have either not played in their entirety, or not played casually.

Gregz

Arcane
Whichever of these you haven't played:

Wizardry 8
Master of Magic
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

I have played all of those, but would play any of them again.

OK, any from this list that you haven't played:

The Temple of Elemental Evil w/ Circle of Eight mod
Mount & Blade: Warband + Prophesy of Pendor + Companions mods
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Knights of the Chalice
Divine Divinity

Tigranes

Arcane

Hmmm. It is easier to say which Obsidian games I have played casually:

Fallout New Vegas
Dungeon Siege 3

All the rest I have either not played in their entirety, or not played casually.

In that case, MOTB. Almost guarantees you'll finish the LP, too.

Gozma

Arcane
I don't want him to have fun I want him to do a grinding apologia for Obsidian in toto for many hours

I want NWN2 OC

This also maximizes the chances of catty backbiting of people named Ferret

Ashery

Prophet

Kohan always needs love, but I never worked on it. TimeGate finished those games long before I went to work there.

Aww...Guess I'll go sulk with some gaming buddies of mine I used to play KKoW with multiplayer. Really fucking miss that game. Bit surprised you didn't work on'em, though, but I suppose I always just connected Timegate employment with being on the Kohan dev team; I never really looked at the time periods.

Gregz

Arcane
I don't want him to have fun I want him to do a grinding apologia for Obsidian in toto for many hours

I want NWN2 OC

This also maximizes the chances of catty backbiting of people named Ferret

Why are you guys trolling this thread? At least act like the prestigious gaming magazine we claim to be.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm gonna go ahead and vote MotB. But you'll probably have time to play through the OC and MotB in 40 to 60 hours, so maybe do both.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
So, just make a list of my favourite games on pc?

Alpha Centauri

Phantasmagoria 2

Tiberian Sun

Civ 4

I Have No Mouth

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Do you own Superhero League of Hoboken?

Paper Sorcerer seems like a nice RPG to get into and it should be around the 20 hour mark maybe more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom